Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doing a brake job myself help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All Raven and newer Model S have a PM motor to allow one pedal driving but I'm a fan of the original: goes when I want and brakes when I want. I'm in control.

i prefer the manual mode too, tbh the only reason why i use single pedal is because it is more efficient.... apparntly.

I was under the impression though that it had nothing to do with the motors, i thought below 10km/h the motors dont have the right gearing to allow for regen so in single mode it just applies the brakes slightly?

I do not have a "new" Model S, so I have not actually done much testing of the one pedal driving but my understanding is that it is based on the type of motor. Raven S have a front PM motor that is what actually slows the car down from 5mph to 0. Induction motors can regen only until ~5mph because they rotate too slowly to generate sufficient electricity at a slower rate of travel. PM motors can be activated (in slow speeds reverse) to slow down the car. Induction cannot. Model S before the Raven had 1 or 2 induction motors (the front in a dual motor being much smaller than the rear which in a performance is much larger).

I'm not sure how one pedal Tesla driving could be more efficient than a human coasting and minimizing friction brakes with induction motors but I believe PM motors are inherently more efficient overall (though less powerful -- though the Plaid may put that to the test with carbon-sleeved rotors that have a flat power delivery through 20k rpm).

I do not have a "new" Model S, so I have not actually done much testing of the one pedal driving but my understanding is that it is based on the type of motor. Raven S have a front PM motor that is what actually slows the car down from 5mph to 0. Induction motors can regen only until ~5mph because they rotate too slowly to generate sufficient electricity at a slower rate of travel. PM motors can be activated (in slow speeds reverse) to slow down the car. Induction cannot. Model S before the Raven had 1 or 2 induction motors (the front in a dual motor being much smaller than the rear which in a performance is much larger).

I'm not sure how one pedal Tesla driving could be more efficient than a human coasting and minimizing friction brakes with induction motors but I believe PM motors are inherently more efficient overall (though less powerful -- though the Plaid may put that to the test with carbon-sleeved rotors that have a flat power delivery through 20k rpm).

ah true i did remember seeing that. bit weird how the car seems to engage the brakes anyway. I mean, you can tell the pedal moving at below 3kmh. might possible to prevent the car moving in reverse by the braking motor overdoing it.

ah true i did remember seeing that. bit weird how the car seems to engage the brakes anyway. I mean, you can tell the pedal moving at below 3kmh. might possible to prevent the car moving in reverse by the braking motor overdoing it.

I've never seen it with one pedal driving due to not having it but anytime you're using TACC or AP the car will brake and I'm not sure that AP factors in the one pedal hardware.

Tesla cars can only do one-pedal driving if they have a PM motor, such as Model 3 or S/X Raven. Otherwise the induction motor doesn't make enough braking force below about 5mph to come to a complete stop. The logic for non-cruise driving is consistent: it activates the brakes when you step on the brakes, and does not when you do not. Other cars will activate the brakes on your behalf.