Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doing an Overnight Drive, what should I look out for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best thing to be aware of is the different driving experience you will have, compared to a gas vehicle.

It smells cleaner, pulls stronger, has a far super braking system with regeneration on foot driving.

It not shift gears all the time, and the throttle response is so smooth, and your control over speed and accellerations is so much more precise.

It is so easy to accelerate into open traffic spots. No more downshifting and getting on the gas, then immediately on the brakes. So much more pleasant.

Don't get caught up in the experience of full throttle driving, but concentrate on just how much more pleasurable it is to drive for everyday situations.

Think how terrible a situation it is when you get a normal rental car, and the hassle of taking it back with a full tank of gas. Searching around at the last minute to find a gas station, then trying to fill it up just enough to get past the check in guy, without really filling it all the way up. No more of these games.

Every morning you will wake up with a full charge, and enough energy to carry you through the day. Reserve the superchargers for when you need long distance travel.

Enjoy your extended demo. It can be a life altering experience.

Going to have the car for 24 hours.

What should be my top things to look out for (and not obvious).

A couple of recent TMC conversations spring to mind:

1) If it is a five-seater, check the adequacy of the rear A/C for you, including whether you have issues with fogging of rear windows etc. (perhaps something to test on a colder evening?). A/C Effectiveness in 5-seat configuration - Predictions?

2) Check how you feel about the hardness of the suspension and how your back etc. feel after driving around wherever you usually drive... I can't take it anymore!

3) Can you handle the big front window in sunlight? Move the sun-visors in all the ways they go to see if you can make it work and if you are prepared to constantly wiggle them around, following the sun. Of course the rainbows and night-ghosting of the big windshield others mentioned. Double vision - ghosting issue | Tesla

4) Note that Tesla has removed a few features that some older loaner cars still might have: seat ventilation, Helix wheels, adaptive spoiler, all free Supercharging are a few things removed recently, so if you car has any of those, then just know that a Model X you order will not. Tesla has also changed a few things such as added matte seat backs and new types of falcon wing opening buttons and changed which cars get high-amperage AC chargers or not... Ventilated Seats option is quietly removed from the "Premium Package" / What options/features are removed next? / Matte finish seat backs now standard? / New FWD switch design

5) If it is a Tesla loaner or a Tesla inventory car, it will have an 85 mph speed limit that sold cars do (or should) not have. Just something to be aware of. Model S 85 speed limit restricted to 85 MPH??? | Tesla

6) If EVs are new to you, check the settings on creep and regenerative braking that you can adjust from the car's big screen. People have difference preferences here, but there can be a bit of a learning curve to driving an EV, which at best is a one pedal thing. Also, learn the "gear" lever, if you accidentally drop it to N while driving, learn how to recover (a common enough mistake even for older hands).

Would a 200 mile round trip outing be discouraged? Hopefully the car will let me charge.

I feel it would be a good way to gauge what I'm getting into.
I'd say go for it! As long as it's in the 24 hours.

They will include the J1772 adaptor, the charging cable with the 14-50 plug, and you can always use supercharging.

Just consider driving 200 miles doesn't necessarily prove a lot. Getting in / out, hauling stuff, etc is also part of the experiment. Try to mimic typical use.

Edit to add - if you do the long drive, watch the range. Understanding realistic range based on actual driving is valuable.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonxt
Going to have the car for 24 hours.

What should be my top things to look out for (and not obvious).
Well, around here the top 3 are bison, moose and caribou. Even if you're in an 18-wheeler, you don't want to hit a bison.
And the moose are invisible in the dark.
And the caribou not only are as stupid as sheep, but where there's one there are another 16,000 right behind it.

But as far as the Model X goes - in addition to what's been said, that fully-opened Falcon-wing door can surprise you, and your skull, when it starts closing. It's just a wake-up tap, though - one that won't be repeated.
Figure out the key fob - or at least enough to open the door and to lock it upon walking away.
Remember driver's door will close when you apply the brake pedal - which is also how you initiate "starting" the car.
Regenerative braking is one of the finest features of any Tesla - but learning its basics takes 3 or 4 times on a decline, approaching a traffic signal, or otherwise slowing down.
As far as that skinny sun visor (it doubles in thickness when you figure out how to unfold it) - you can find it productive to have it angled up just so to shade your eyes from whatever position the sun happens to be in. Although it's never so effective as a monster old paddle in an older-fashioned car, it's a suitable feature for a vehicle with the monstrous panorama that is the Model X windshield.

Enjoy!

Reactions: dragonxt
Hi, I'm new to the forum!

I ended up doing a couple of overnight test drives, one with a 7 seater and the other with a 6 seater to see which interior fit my needs best.

And when I took it home from the store, I immediately went to stores and places that I normally frequent with my family of four to see how the experience was getting the kids out of the car seats and how it was hauling things like a normal SUV would.

I ended up ordering a Model X that is supposedly delivering by June

Reactions: MagT and NikeWings
Best thing to be aware of is the different driving experience you will have, compared to a gas vehicle.

It smells cleaner, pulls stronger, has a far super braking system with regeneration on foot driving.

It not shift gears all the time, and the throttle response is so smooth, and your control over speed and accellerations is so much more precise.

It is so easy to accelerate into open traffic spots. No more downshifting and getting on the gas, then immediately on the brakes. So much more pleasant.

Don't get caught up in the experience of full throttle driving, but concentrate on just how much more pleasurable it is to drive for everyday situations.

Think how terrible a situation it is when you get a normal rental car, and the hassle of taking it back with a full tank of gas. Searching around at the last minute to find a gas station, then trying to fill it up just enough to get past the check in guy, without really filling it all the way up. No more of these games.

Every morning you will wake up with a full charge, and enough energy to carry you through the day. Reserve the superchargers for when you need long distance travel.

Enjoy your extended demo. It can be a life altering experience.

This will be helpful for me also. I am renting an 'X' thru Turo.com next month. The one here in San Diego is $149/24 hours, including 200 free miles!

Turo – Rent unique cars or earn money renting your car.

Scannerman

Placed my order even before taking the overnight. Originally planned for the 100D but my Sales guy insisted 75D would be good enough in most scenarios, and its hard to justify 20k more.

Here's the spec:
Pearl White 75D
6 Seat
PUP
EAP+FSP
SubZero
Standard Wheels
White Seats + Carbon Fiber

Expected Delivery Date Is 2nd or 3rd Week of June, Delivery at Fremont Factory. (Do I still pay 1200 for shipping?)

I like the timeline, seems fast to me.

Reactions: MagT
..... Also, learn the "gear" lever, if you accidentally drop it to N while driving, learn how to recover (a common enough mistake even for older hands).
I never thought about that last one. From full stop, you have to press the brake petal to put the car into Drive. Can you go from Neutral to Drive without pressing on the Brake pedal? On an ICE car you can, but never had to do it on the Tesla.