Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doing my share

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

getakey

Jan 28, 2020
I've had my 3 PWs about 18 months now so I've gone through an annual NEM cycle. Last summer, on Cost Saving, I set my Reserve to between 30% and 50% depending on the forecast. The higher reserve on extreme hit because I don't trust PG&E infrastructure in hot weather. I did a good amount of rate arbitrage with these settings, but not as much as others are doing with a lower reserve. I should add that I'm still on EV1-A so my Peak starts at 2pm.

So the arbitrage netted my a large swing in my annual NEM. Went from ~+$200 w/o PW (PWs were added to existing PV) to ~negative $950 even though I was still a net user not producer of kWh. Obviously, the negative NEM just goes away.

So this summer knowing I have a lot of NEM leeway, I decided to prioritize backup in case of unforeseen outage (again because I don't trust PG&E) and set reserve to between 60% and 70%. However, with hot days and ACs on, I cannot make it all the way from 2pm to 9pm with that higher reserve. Thus, I will start pulling from the grid somewhere between 5pm and 7pm right when the overall Peak Demand hits.

Thus, the "doing my share" is that I will set to backup only until 5ish and then change to Cost Savings to reduce my usage at Peak Demand.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder