Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doing Research for First EV Purchase: Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are going to be buying an EV, probably a Tesla Model 3 before the end of June and I'm starting to do research on EV and the model 3. This will be our first EV. We live about 2 hours north of San Francisco in California. We're both teachers.

We are also considering getting solar to put on our house and I've been looking into what home charger to go with for our garage.

My wife and I are going to be buying an EV, probably a Tesla Model 3 before the end of June and I'm starting to do research on EV and the model 3. This will be our first EV. We live about 2 hours north of San Francisco in California. We're both teachers.

We are also considering getting solar to put on our house and I've been looking into what home charger to go with for our garage.
@Whoster69 , welcome! There are a lot of great online resources. One site to take a look at is Green Car Reports (greencarreports.com). They provide basic information on electric vehicles and charging, as well as buyers' guides to both cars and home charging options.

Unless you have an influx of money well beyond that of most teachers, you may want to step down a little below Tesla, at least for your first move into EVs. I'd recommend the Leaf as a great commuter car, it's a nice car with some of the bells and whistles as Tesla.
If you are looking at solar, that may also require some investment, and if you've sunk a lot into a Tesla, you may not have as much opportunity.

Welcome. Kim and I are both teachers. We love, love, LOVE our cars (M3 LR and M3 LR AWD). Kim isn't exactly a techie person but has quickly adjusted to the Model 3. It replaced a Mustang. She has no regrets. She used to call herself Mustang Girl but is a happy Tesla girl now. She thought she wanted a Leaf but spending a day with a Model 3 changed her mind. I was opposed to the Leaf because of its battery tech or lack thereof. Solar goes on the roof once I get taxes back. I put in a Tesla charger and it is great.

Welcome. Kim and I are both teachers. We love, love, LOVE our cars (M3 LR and M3 LR AWD). Kim isn't exactly a techie person but has quickly adjusted to the Model 3. It replaced a Mustang. She has no regrets. She used to call herself Mustang Girl but is a happy Tesla girl now. She thought she wanted a Leaf but spending a day with a Model 3 changed her mind. I was opposed to the Leaf because of its battery tech or lack thereof. Solar goes on the roof once I get taxes back. I put in a Tesla charger and it is great.

Thanks. After spending a lot of time looking at EVs, Tesla seems to be doing the most innovative things with their vehicles and I really like to support that.

I think I'll feel the same way once we make the purchase.

@Whoster69 , while you consider solar for the house, don't forget that the 30% federal tax credit starts phasing out after December 31 of this year. To get the full credit, the system has to be operational before the deadline.
Almost every solar installer will give you a free assessment and quote. Get at least 2 or 3 quotes. Look for an installer that is NABCEP (National Board of Certified Energy Practitioners) certified.
A good installer will recommend you get a professional energy audit first, to reduce your energy loads, and therefore reduce the size of the solar PV system you need.
Finally, if you think you might add a second electric vehicle in the future, tell the installer and get a quote for a system designed to be expandable in the future by either using microinverters, or a slightly oversized string inverter.