Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doing the math for Fuel costs for Electric VS Gas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent a year doing various calculations trying to justify my S economically. It is much cheaper to run than any other comparable vehicle,mexcept in seriously outlier locations such as NYC where gasoline is cheap and electricity is monumentally overpriced. Regardless, as always, depreciation is the largest single cost and insurance generally second. It is only in the third and fourth categories of maintenance and fuel that Tesla shines. My own largest operating expense is tires, but that would be similar for any comparable car.

From a comparative viewpoint the reality is that many of us compare with what we'd have if not Tesla, and that often is a clearly non-comparable vehicle in size and price terms. Some argue, but I think the comparison should be based on "what I'd have if not Tesla" rather than price/size comparables. That is our real world reality.

That said, we really don't buy these cars to save money. We use economy as a justification. If we do that we need to compare with similar price/size/performance. Even an S60 then will compare with the quickest of the supersedans. Then our self-justification will be complete and even defensible even if we'd never consider such a comparable.

Lastly, if budget is really a serious factor remember insurance and depreciation which are the giant costs that dominate the comparison between, say, a Golf GTI and any current production Tesla. You could write off a Golf in two years for the depreciation in the same period on a new Tesla.

If cost really matters and you still obsess (as most of us do) I recommend looking at CPO or inventory from now-discontinued models. You can beat loads of depreciation that way.

Really lastly, most of the people I personally know who have Tesla never have spent such a large sum on a car. I have yet to meet anybody who claims to regret the choice. Nobody yet figures the Tesla to have been cheaper total cost than the mid-range or lower vehicle that the Tesla replaced. The sole exception I personally know was using a Ford F-150 for a 200 mile daily commute with tolls each way. The Tesla saved him money in part because of toll-exemption but gasoline, insurance and maintenance all were much cheaper for him.