Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doing the math on solar (AZ APS customer)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to do the math on which route to go with solar. I haven't been in my home a year so I don't have a full look. I only have about 6 months of data from when I actually lived in my home. I also recently purchased an M3P in addition to my Chevy Volt so my usage will go up a little bit. In my time I have so far I've used about 12,082 kWh peak usage ever being 12.97 kw

So far I'm on the lite choice plan that gives me a fixed cost of 0.11672 per kWh. I'll likely get kicked out of this plan since my usage for the year will exceed the limits.

Currently lowest bill when I was in my home was $98 in Dec (before the Tesla) and Highest was august at 294. If I were on saver choice it would have been 105 lowest and 346.

I'm leaning towards the subscription vs purchasing because I get a warranty and don't want to finance anything at the moment. An 8.16 system at 100 a month probably won't cover all my usage but would likely equal to my lowest monthly bill. If I go up to the 12.24 I'd be paying 150 a month about 50 more than my lowest bill essentially subsidizing the summer month with cash but would sell more back.

I also entertained the idea of getting a powerwall but it seems from my math that it will eat my savings without much benefit.

Anyone in AZ have the subscription and have any feedback on how it impacted your APS bill?

Im leaning towards the subscription vs purchasing because I get a warranty and don't want to finance anything at the moment.
I do not know how a subscription is structured. If that is the Tesla plan that lets you cancel with notice it might be okay depending on the fine print. I have never heard of a purchase arrangement that did not have a warranty. Does that arrangement give you an option to purchase. The only advantage would be to get data to help decide which rate plan is best. You can get data from PV Watts.

I do not know how a subscription is structured. If that is the Tesla plan that lets you cancel with notice it might be okay depending on the fine print. I have never heard of a purchase arrangement that did not have a warranty. Does that arrangement give you an option to purchase. The only advantage would be to get data to help decide which rate plan is best. You can get data from PV Watts.

Its a month to month subscription based on size of system. 100 month for 8.16 and 150 a month for 12.24. It lets you cancel at any point. As far as warranty I think with the subscription you have a warranty as long as you subscribe with purchase there is a defined period. Panels are getting better and better. You can see a copy of the agreement here: Energy Order Purchase Agreement

You might want to check out the details. This thread describes some of the issues previous owners have had with solar leases. As they say the devil is in the details.

That is the advantage of this program, you can walk away at any time. Removal fee is 2500 which isn't huge compared to a potential lease buyout. This is more a rental than a lease.

Its a month to month subscription based on size of system. 100 month for 8.16 and 150 a month for 12.24. It lets you cancel at any point. As far as warranty I think with the subscription you have a warranty as long as you subscribe with purchase there is a defined period. Panels are getting better and better. You can see a copy of the agreement here: Energy Order Purchase Agreement

That is the advantage of this program, you can walk away at any time. Removal fee is 2500 which isn't huge compared to a potential lease buyout. This is more a rental than a lease.

Yes. very different from the lease (which can be terrible depending on the terms) .

I even got lucky last year and have a no removal fee clause in my contract.