Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dolby Surround to Immersive Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a 13 MS and don't have MCU2 but I guess the latest update had just changed my Dolby Surround enhancement to Immersive Sound. Not complaining but will this really change anything? I'm not sure if I can tell the difference between the two .

I have a 2015 85D and notice this setting being toggled automagically from time to time. That said, I find the Dolby setting quite random. Some songs sound much different/better with it off than on; and vice versa. Other songs I don’t here a major difference. But I’m not an audiophile.

Edit: this car has the Premium Sound package.

Good, for Dolby surround to work properly, the track you play should have been encoded for it .
So it's never been a good and useful setting, adding automation sounds like a good thing, dropping the brand name is unimportant.

• Helpful
Reactions: skitown
I have a 2015 85D and notice this setting being toggled automagically from time to time. That said, I find the Dolby setting quite random. Some songs sound much different/better with it off than on; and vice versa. Other songs I don’t here a major difference. But I’m not an audiophile.

Edit: this car has the Premium Sound package.

I have the same issue in my 2015. Sometimes Dolby is there and sometimes it switches to Immersive.

None of the Immersive settings actually do anything the impact the sound.

Glad I paid extra for the premium audio...:/

Has anyone else noticed that the Immersive Sound setting is not remembered between drives? I'll have it set to HIGH but after leaving the car parked for any significant length of time (e.g. greater than a few hours) the setting reverts to MEDIUM. I have a 2017 MX w/Premium Sound on the latest software version 9.0 and typically switch between using Slacker & TuneIn and sometimes notice the Immersive Sound setting change between those sources as well. I think this is a recently introduced bug when Immersive Sound was rolled out as the previous Dolby settings were always remembered for me. I haven't reported this issue yet myself nor have found anyone else on the forums complaining about it. Thanks.

Last edited:
My Dolby Sound has changed to Immersive sound and back again several times over the course of several updates. Currently on 2018.48.12, and it's reverted back to Immersive Sound. The issue I find most annoying is I can't hear any difference between any of the 3 levels in Immersive sound, whereas I could immediately hear a difference activating Dolby Sound. I'm guessing that it is because my 2017 S90D MCU1 doesn't have the Immersive sound hardware and can't react to the options until it is returned to Dolby Sound control programming, but that's just my guess.

Anyone else notice that Immersive Sound is unresponsive when used in an UHFS vehicle originally equipped with Dolby Sound?

My Dolby Sound has changed to Immersive sound and back again several times over the course of several updates. Currently on 2018.48.12, and it's reverted back to Immersive Sound. The issue I find most annoying is I can't hear any difference between any of the 3 levels in Immersive sound, whereas I could immediately hear a difference activating Dolby Sound. I'm guessing that it is because my 2017 S90D MCU1 doesn't have the Immersive sound hardware and can't react to the options until it is returned to Dolby Sound control programming, but that's just my guess.

Anyone else notice that Immersive Sound is unresponsive when used in an UHFS vehicle originally equipped with Dolby Sound?

Yes. I posted the same issue above.

Reactions: Amr Wahbi
Just noticed my 2017 S90D changed from Dolby sound to Immersive sound this morning WITHOUT any software update involved. This is certainly becoming annoying, since the Dolby Sound already has an issue randomly toggling on and off by itself, and now it switches to a non-functional Immersive Sound mode without any other interaction involved....

Reactions: markn455
In my case it seems like every time I notice the switch from Dolby to immersive when I check the web browser I see that it doesn't work either.
Almost like the MCU or whatever is running out of memory or something crashed.
After I reboot both the web browser and Dolby options are are back.