TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dome light timer?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by TechGuy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. TechGuy

TechGuy Member

I just picked up my S85 today. My three year old son and I went for a drive this evening. As we approached the vehicle, the handles presented. As I opened his door, the dome lights came on. I began buckling him into his car seat and the interior dome lights turned off... I had to turn on the flash light function on my phone in order to finish and then walk around to the driver's side. I realize in retrospect that I could have touched the light near his seat to turn it back on (and hopefully remember to turn it off again!), but I'm wondering if that's normal for the Model S. Do the interior dome lights really only stay on for a minute or two? Every other vehicle I've owned leaves the lights on as long as the doors are open. Thanks!

2. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Yeah it switches off a bit too fast for me too. Would be nice to have it adjustable. But then again you don't want to have so many adjustable parameters that it starts to look like the Windows control panel.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Just press a light to turn it back on, or you can turn them all on from the console.

4. TechGuy

TechGuy Member

If I turn on a light manually, but forget to turn it off, does it eventually turn off again automatically?

5. dbfish

dbfish Member

From the manual 4.12-

1. If DOME lights are set to AUTO, interior dome (map) lights turn on when you unlock Model S, open a door upon exiting, or shift into Park. They turn off after 60 seconds, when you lock Model S, or when you shift into a driving gear.
    You can also turn an individual dome light on or off by pressing its lens. If you manually turn a dome light on, it turns off when Model S powers off. If Model S was already powered off when you manually turned the light on, it turns off after 60 minutes.

6. Bigbit

Bigbit Member

I have to try, but i remember that if a light is on, turning them all on and of again from the console will turn them all off.