Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dome Lights Come on After Beep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is on a 2018 Model S 100D, FSD with HW3 and Firmware 2019.40.50.7

Several times over the last 4-5 months, I've received two bells like the sound you get before hooking up your seat belt. At the same time, the dome lights come on and then stay on for 20-30 seconds. There are no warnings or indications on the big screen or instrument cluster. I always hook up the seat belt and everything else seems in good order.

Each of the 4-5 times this has occurred has been within 2-3 minutes of starting a drive.

A mobile tech was out a couple of weeks ago on an unrelated issue and was stumped by this, saying to note the time, etc., and they may be able to figure something out from info on the server.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Also, as a bonus, does anyone know how to disable the obnoxious and unneeded for me anyway, seat belt warning? Thanks.

I have the same warning, I had the glass fixed in the back door. I assumed that one of the door sensors wasn't back right but open to suggestions.

As for the seat belt warning, easy, put on the seat belt

I have the same warning, I had the glass fixed in the back door. I assumed that one of the door sensors wasn't back right but open to suggestions.

As for the seat belt warning, easy, put on the seat belt

VERY interesting. The reason the mobile tech was at my house was to fix an issue with the rear glass that wouldn't open far or quickly enough to open the door without scraping. My issue with the dings and lights hasn't occurred since the repair about ten days ago, but it happened infrequently, so it's too soon to infer the relationship.

My post indicated I always use my seat belt. I put my foot on the brake to get the seat to move from the easy entry position to my personal setting before putting on the seat belt. Although I don't like to buckle in before moving the seat, I realized I can buckle in first to avoid the obnoxious warnings.

I’ve had this a fair few times over the last few months. Weirdly if it’s going to happen it’s at the same point in my drive - about 2 minutes in. A couple of bongs, dome lights on and padlock on the MCU1 screen unlocks. I tap the padlock and the car relocation and lights go out.

I figure it’s a bug of some kind and tbh I can’t be bothered to have it investigated.

DJP31 -- Thanks for your note. Interestingly, I had the experience again just last night, two minutes into the drive and with the open padlock. I hadn't noticed the open padlock before, and the lights went out when I tapped the padlock. I will report the time and situation to Tesla. I have MCU2 and 2019.40.50.7 firmware.

While this is likely a very minor thing, it IS part of a system that controls our fast, heavy cars. Even though chances this is a safety issue are remote, I think it's worthy of attention. I'm not sure how a dialogue with the service people will go, but will try to pass on any additional info others might post here.

Reactions: DJP31
I was hoping for a bit better than this but got about what I expected after reporting the problem to Tesla. I sent an email to the local service department who said to schedule an appointment. From the appointment, I received a text just now indicating the car was ready and the information below. I got the dreaded trio:

Unable to replicate
No issues found, and
Operating as expected.

Concern: Customer states: About two minutes into a drive, I hear two dings and the dome lights come on. Also, the padlock at the top left of the large display opens. This last occurred on January 25th 2020 at 10:16 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Road tested vehicle. Unable to replicate reported concern during testing. Reviewed vehicle log data. No related faults stored in system. Opened case with Service Engineering team for review. Performed additional road testing under different road conditions with scratch pad application to detect possible phantom touches on touchscreen. No false inputs found. Performed inspection of bezel/dash trim and grounding strap of bezel. No issues found. System currently operating as expected. Advise customer continue to monitor for occurrences and provide timestamps for further review in case.

I've had it happen a few times, but only after a Smart Summon that I stopped early.

Yes, the system appears to unlock the doors and turn on the cabin lights a few minutes after using smart summon. This is reproducible in my experience. Smart summon, drive two minutes, doors unlock.

Since all four doors fully unlock while driving, this is an obvious safety issue.

Yes, the system appears to unlock the doors and turn on the cabin lights a few minutes after using smart summon. This is reproducible in my experience. Smart summon, drive two minutes, doors unlock.

Since all four doors fully unlock while driving, this is an obvious safety issue.
Many thanks for these last two posts. I will discuss with Tesla when I pick up my car tomorrow.

I learned little at Tesla today.

The tech and I smart-summoned the car and went for a drive. Nothing happened with the unlocking and the dome lights. He said it could still be intermittent, happening only after a smart summon, but not after every smart summon.

It's in their system, so maybe a future update will cure this minor problem.