TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

DOME Lights: Not LED?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by sickfox, Dec 8, 2014.

1. sickfox

sickfox Member

Hi Folks - I have a quick question about our Dome lights.

I picked up my car (12/3/14) last week and love everything about it except for one thing, the DOME lights. I was expecting that the DOME lights would be a bright white LED. Instead, I got a yellow colored bulb. It might be LED too but who knows. :crying:

Did anyone of you get the same thing? and if so, did you guys ask if this can be replaced or did you have to buy an aftermarket LED bulb for our dome light? If yes, can you please share info?

Thank you in advance.

Here's what Im talking about. Not a happy camper... :crying:

2014-12-07 17.38.49.jpg 2014-12-07 17.39.30.jpg 2014-12-07 17.42.15.jpg 2014-12-07 17.43.54.jpg

2. Cerie

Cerie Member

My dome lights are the bright white LEDs. Did you get the tech package? That or maybe they've decided to make a change to the yellow lights. To be honest, I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer the yellow ones myself as the LED ones are pretty blinding at night.

3. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

Curious. Mine are kinda blue-ish.

4. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Mine are definitely LED... I actually wish they would make them dimmable...

5. tomanik

tomanik Member

Sounds like u should contact Tesla and inquire about it.

6. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

They may be LED but perhaps they changed to a different color temperature bulb. I kinda find the ones in my car a little too cool, but yours look too warm, although it's hard to tell because your photo is taken during the daytime, so anything below 6500K is going to look warm based on your camera using the sunlight for white balance.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Mine are white and definitely LED. Dec. 2013 delivery. Tech package. But I don't think that makes any difference.

8. drsaab

drsaab Member

I just took delivery of a 55k vin 11/14 car autopilot car and mine are definitely super bright white dome lights.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Probably they're still LED. I would not be surprised Tesla had complaints about the bordering-on-blue hot color temperature of the LEDs, and sourced something with a warmer color temperature.

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Warmer color temperatures are better for night driving. The closer to the red end of the spectrum, the less disturbance to your night vision. Those dome lights are still LED, just with a different color temperature. I would see this as an improvement.

11. sickfox

sickfox Member

Thanks guys for the input. I agree that they are still LEDs but with different color temperature. i do have the tech package. i still prefer the bright white especially at night when i'm trying to look for something in the car. (when the car is NOT in motion)

Do you guys prefer the warmer color?

i think the dome lights, should match the interior accent light. Do you guys agree? maybe it's just me. :confused:

12. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I agree, all the interior lights should be the same color temperature, which they had been up until now apparently.

13. franknesss

franknesss Member

I agree, I personally like the white LEDs. These new ones makes it feel outdated like old interior dome lights. =(

14. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I find the dome lights slightly too cool, but totally agree the color temperature should match between all lights inside the car. Mention it to your SC and see what they say. They might be able to swap them for the cooler temperature bulbs or maybe this was some kind of supplier mistake where they got parts that were supposed to be one color temperature and they were a different one.

15. sickfox

sickfox Member

pgiralt: we actually have an appt to install my new wheels in Fremont, CA near the TESLA facility. I will definitely stop by and ask. I just installed my license plate LED and as you guys can see below, the difference between warm and cool. now all of my lights matches (headlight, fog, license plate, accent) except for the DOME lights. :redface:

FullSizeRender-4.jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg

16. basf_audio

basf_audio Member

Just poked my head into a new P85D demo that was build 11/2014 and it has the yellow lights as well. All of my previous experiences were with the bright white lights. I'm hoping that they can be swapped out - definitely looked like an old flashlight bulb to me :)

17. DJung

DJung Member

I think that the white/blue LEDs look more futuristic, but the light is a bit harsh and is quite a rude awakening when you put the car in park at night especially after a long drive. I've had a few passengers request to turn the dome lights off. I would be interested in swapping LEDs for the newer yellow ones (maybe). I would like to see them in person first.

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It is amusing to read this thread and the differing opinions on light color. Poor Tesla, no matter what they do they can't win. I am waiting for someone to demand that all the interior light colors be infinitely adjustable from near infrared up into the low ultraviolet through the touchscreen, then through the app, then by voice command.

19. CliffG

CliffG Member

don't forget having them adjust, depending on whether the car is moving or not.

20. green1

green1 Active Member

And driver profiles!

On a more serious note, one thing to consider is that there may in fact be a happy medium somewhere between the bright white and the dim yellow...