Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Domelight 12v tap reduced to 9v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All. I have a 2016 P85D. I have been using the dome light extra power for a 12v constant. However. It seems after the last update that the power is now ~9v. Anyone else have this problem ? My BlackVue won’t power up with 9v. And the two dome lights are also now 9v. The car is powered on. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 91
That's not the dome light connector, but the optional intrusion alarm connector (which it appears you do not have the alarm). It should be in the 13v range, never 9v. It's a good place to tap for a dashcam - I've used it on several Teslas I've owned without a problem (a 2013 and 2016), both cars with BlackVue dashcams. Either the connection has a problem (most likely) or the battery is failing. At 9V, I doubt the car would boot up, so that seems unlikely. Another unusual possibility is the fuse for that circuit has high resistance. Not sure I've ever heard of it happening, but perhaps if you're in a salty area, the contacts have corroded.

I have used it for probably 4 years for my dashcam. Always had 12v. I pulled it apart and tested at the connection. It’s now 9.8v. I just had the 12v battery replaced two months ago so I can’t imagine it’s that. From what I can tell it stopped working after my last software update which was maybe 3 weeks ago. Where are the fuses for it? I suppose I can check that.

Here's my fuse guide. It depends on the manufacturing date of your car as the fuses have changed quite a bit over the years before they got rid of them entirely with electronic fuses. Fuses and Current Protection – TeslaTap

Have you measured the voltage at the power plug in the center console? It should also be around 13-14.5v or so. Where are you testing the voltage? At the microphone panel or at the dashcam? The idea is to work back to where the voltage is normal and then figure out where the voltage drops. A long shot, but I'd also check that the meter you are using is working properly (i.e. test on a known DC voltage, like a new AA cell). It's so strange to have a lower voltage like this - normally it's either zero (open) or the normal 13-14.5v.