Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Domestic Production dates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After being extremely disappointed on Tesla's broken promise to delivery my Y by the end of the 2nd quarter I made a phone call to my local Tesla Store in Portland, Oregon. They stated that month 1 and 2 of each quarter is for international production orders and Tesla will not fill any Domestic orders until the last month of each quarter. Does anyone know if this is accurate? Now I have to wait 90 additional days on top of the initial 60- 90 days promised on their website?!

Correct! They will be prioritizing canada and mexico for the Y. Likely US end of the quarter as it is easier to deliver.
Correct! They will be prioritizing canada and mexico for the Y. Likely US end of the quarter as it is easier to deliver.
Thank you! not happy, but it is what it is! Where or how did you hear this, I cannot find anything online about it?

is this true? I am in Canada and I placed my order just 4 days ago. I wasn’t expecting a delivery till end of September but if this is true then I might get it sooner.

Edit: or did they reduce production after Q2 for MY and increase it again towards end of Q3 for US deliveries?

After being extremely disappointed on Tesla's broken promise to delivery my Y by the end of the 2nd quarter I made a phone call to my local Tesla Store in Portland, Oregon. They stated that month 1 and 2 of each quarter is for international production orders and Tesla will not fill any Domestic orders until the last month of each quarter. Does anyone know if this is accurate? Now I have to wait 90 additional days on top of the initial 60- 90 days promised on their website?!

Whats your build? Honestly this determines delivery times more than anything else.

Thank you! not happy, but it is what it is! Where or how did you hear this, I cannot find anything online about it?
This is what they do to maximize deliveries within a quarter. Think about it: Cars produced during the last 4 weeks of a quarter can only be delivered that same quarter domestically.

When Giga Berlin comes online next year, this whole quarterly exercise will cease happening for the Model Y. Same for the Model 3 in 2022.

Reactions: navguy12
This is what they do to maximize deliveries within a quarter. Think about it: Cars produced during the last 4 weeks of a quarter can only be delivered that same quarter domestically.

When Giga Berlin comes online next year, this whole quarterly exercise will cease happening for the Model Y. Same for the Model 3 in 2022.
Aww.. makes sense.. dont like it, but makes sense. :)

I think there's a lot of FUD here.

Typically Tesla does reserve the first month of the quarter for international shipments, but not the 2nd. 2/3rd of orders are international?!

Also, Tesla isn't shipping any MYs overseas. I don't think they differentiate between the US and Canada, and I haven't heard of any going to Mexico, yet.

Lastly, I ordered in October and got a VIN last Sunday. I hope that means I'm getting my car this month, although I shouldn't be surprised if it comes later given Tesla's track record.

• Love
Reactions: slamper
I think there's a lot of FUD here.

Typically Tesla does reserve the first month of the quarter for international shipments, but not the 2nd. 2/3rd of orders are international?!

Also, Tesla isn't shipping any MYs overseas. I don't think they differentiate between the US and Canada, and I haven't heard of any going to Mexico, yet.

Lastly, I ordered in October and got a VIN last Sunday. I hope that means I'm getting my car this month, although I shouldn't be surprised if it comes later given Tesla's track record.

My thoughts exactly. Tesla reps have told me that for the Y they are not doing that this quarter because of the backlog of preorders still not fulfilled. Had the factory not been shut down and pre-orders for US customers filled, they would prioritize international first. Canada is only getting deliveries left over from the batches of excess cars. I am seeing people getting assigned VINs with mid to late July delivery dates. I am still waiting on my Feb 2020 order myself so I will for damn sure be very pissed if I have to wait till the end of the quarter again. Like the OP, Tesla promised to deliver mine before the end of Q2 as well.

• Love
Reactions: slamper
My thoughts exactly. Tesla reps have told me that for the Y they are not doing that this quarter because of the backlog of preorders still not fulfilled. Had the factory not been shut down and pre-orders for US customers filled, they would prioritize international first. Canada is only getting deliveries left over from the batches of excess cars. I am seeing people getting assigned VINs with mid to late July delivery dates. I am still waiting on my Feb 2020 order myself so I will for damn sure be very pissed if I have to wait till the end of the quarter again. Like the OP, Tesla promised to deliver mine before the end of Q2 as well.
I really like your guys positive thinking, and I do hope you're right. That sucks you guys have even been waiting longer then me. I am not even sure how that happens either.