Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t get locked out without the app!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I posted about a month back about how the car locked with the key inside and I had to break the window 3 days after buying the car. I finally got the picture showing the issue today after it happening about every 2 weeks but just missing it when taking the photo. Tip for new owners do not get out of the car and close the door with the key inside. GET THE APP ASAP! Especially if you have kids or dogs inside the car. My 10 month old son was inside hence why I had to break the window. $500 and a drive from Canberra to Sydney to get the window replaced.

Attachments

• D00AA288-2159-43A6-A902-CB41678497A7.jpeg
    D00AA288-2159-43A6-A902-CB41678497A7.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 17B53C57-A457-49EC-8DC2-C7B0C31E1653.jpeg
    17B53C57-A457-49EC-8DC2-C7B0C31E1653.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 7A26B62A-80B3-4B7A-90C6-BA067E081033.jpeg
    7A26B62A-80B3-4B7A-90C6-BA067E081033.jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 71
Same thing happened to me just a couple of days ago. Left my phone and the key in the car as I usually do when I go windsurfing. Except this time I put them together in the same spot. I had “passive entry” activated but the car couldn’t detect the key. So had to ask a fellow windsurfer to download the app to his phone, logged in and unlocked the car

Same thing happened to me just a couple of days ago. Left my phone and the key in the car as I usually do when I go windsurfing. Except this time I put them together in the same spot. I had “passive entry” activated but the car couldn’t detect the key. So had to ask a fellow windsurfer to download the app to his phone, logged in and unlocked the car
The phone and key together cause a major disruption to how the key works. It’s well documented.

On my way to driving kids to their formal last week got out to shine the door handles up a bit and it locked with both my key and phone inside. Had to ask a stranger to borrow there phone to call the wife who unlocked it remotely. surely something can be done to fix this?
There is a fix, don’t leave both your phone and key fob in the car at the same time.

Reactions: raynewman
So I posted about a month back about how the car locked with the key inside and I had to break the window 3 days after buying the car. I finally got the picture showing the issue today after it happening about every 2 weeks but just missing it when taking the photo. Tip for new owners do not get out of the car and close the door with the key inside. GET THE APP ASAP! Especially if you have kids or dogs inside the car. My 10 month old son was inside hence why I had to break the window. $500 and a drive from Canberra to Sydney to get the window replaced.

Just as an aside to this. Tesla can and will unlock the car remotely for you. They can also enable it to drive remotely. It takes quite a bit of doing but they will do it for emergencies like this.

Roadside assistance phone via Telsa, will ask security questions etc and get it done.