Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t order SR or MR if your winter is cold.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is 50% real for the Model 3?

In our S it's more like 30% at sub zero. The worst we've seen was a couple of times when we were driving against a heavy rain/sleet storm with high and pretty constant head winds. In that case our consumption went up by about 80%, so about a 45% reduction. We had to drive about 300 miles in that, so we wound up charging a couple of times.

One thing about very cold (<10F) weather is that when you start out after the car has been cold soaked, the battery state looks terrifyingly low. However, it does recover quite a bit after it warms up. Another nasty effect is that the car won't accept much charge until the battery warms. We've found that it's better to drive around for 20 minutes to warm up the battery, then plug into a Supercharger, rather than plug in when the battery is still cold.

This FUD gets posted every winter.

Here is REAL WORLD data showing typical range loss of about:
40% below 0F (limited data, however)
30% 0-10F
20% 10-30F
10%-15% above 30F

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-19_9-58-7.png
    upload_2018-11-19_9-58-7.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 272
One thing about very cold (<10F) weather is that when you start out after the car has been cold soaked, the battery state looks terrifyingly low.
I am able to avoid this by timing my charging to end proximate to the time I will use the car.

My most recent long drive was this week:
We left at 6:30 am and 17F, car range 303 miles.
250 miles later we had 13% remaining. In balmy weather we usually arrive with 22% SoC remaining.

30% 0-10F
20% 10-30F
10%-15% above 30F
This can’t be accurate. I will give you one example. Normally if I charge to 90% the previous day and drive to work for 25 miles I would have 80-81% left in summer. Now in 30-40F temperature, I will lose 3-4% battery overnight and will have 72-73% left after driving to work. I am only heating to 64F in my car.

This can’t be accurate. I will give you one example. Normally if I charge to 90% the previous day and drive to work for 25 miles I would have 80-81% left in summer. Now in 30-40F temperature, I will lose 3-4% battery overnight and will have 72-73% left after driving to work. I am only heating to 64F in my car.
"Can't be accurate?"

So the data in front of you is wrong? (Or are you thinking I have somehow manipulated 30k miles of data)?

Either way, LOL

Your example almost matched what he posted exactly. How is it not accurate?

Over the recent couple of cold spats in CO I've averaged about 280 wh/m when parking in the garage and about 300 wh/m on the one night I had to park outside (temp got down to ~20° F). Usage generally starts out high and then goes down as things warm up, so the longer I drive for the lower my average gets. My normal usage in warmer temps is about 260 wh/m, so no where near 50% losses (more like 8-13%). I do keep it plugged in at night so I don't have vampire drain to worry about, but I don't bother timing it to finish late so the battery is still pretty cold in the morning.

Reactions: dhrivnak and KJD

30% 0-10F
20% 10-30F
10%-15% above 30F

That may be correct, but based on the expected range on the battery indicator it's way higher. (battery indicator is not accurate I know) Last week on the highway using cruise control at around 70 I was seeing at least a 1.5 mile decrease in the battery indicator to each mile I traveled, maybe closer to 1.75. With 2 seats set to level 1 heating, and cabin set to 68. 15 degrees outside, all season 20"s.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I think it's important to distinguish between what range impact results from temperature alone vs. other things. If you aren't getting "rated range" in the real world at 70 degrees, it will look way worse in the cold.

After 7 weeks and 5,000 miles of ownership my "lifetime" wh/mile is 289, and the real cold hasn't set in yet... Simple math says that at 289 wh/mile my total average range at 100% battery has been around 275 miles, not 310.

I do a LOT of freeway driving for work and therefore speeds in excess or 70 MPH are very common for me. Cold temperatures make that worse. A cold-soaked battery and cold cabin at the start of a drive makes that even worse. Wet roads, wind, snow, elevation changes, and extra "cargo" can make it even worse.

So it may not be technically accurate to say that cold ALONE could impact range by 50%, but I do think it's realistic to say that, in the worst case, your range could be impacted that much (or even more).