Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t rely on destination chargers!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I booked the Novotel confluence in Lyon for our road trip and they said they had electric vehicle charging.
Went to charge and the destination charger was in use, the others required some charge club card to use. Returned next day, parked up and the charge cable wouldn’t stretch… Genius! Why are the destination cables so short? 1/10 to Tesla for this one and 1/10 for effort from the car park owners for their pathetic effort one Tesla charger that can’t be reached and 6 more I couldn’t use Brilliant!

It's been discussed before, you can do a search in the various charging subforums. Hotels sometimes say they have some but they only have a wall plug, or they are broken, or they get ICEd, or they stay busy all night because people don't move their car etc... Or in your case, the plug doesn't reach the car (first time I hear this one though).
The answer is to never rely on them as you say, always have a plan B. They are "nice to haves" but should not be essential.

the destination charger was in use, .... Returned next day, parked up and the charge cable wouldn’t stretch
I don't really understand how these two things are both possible. All Teslas have their charge port in the same place. So if one car could make it work, you should have been able to, too. Unless you were forced to park in a less optimal parking space which the charger wasn't really intended to serve? That's pretty much the only way I could understand these two things happening in the same location.

Reactions: RTPEV and Rocky_H
Good advice, especially since folks can buy a Tesla to J1772 adapter and use Tesla WC's. Happened to me, luckily I arrived with enough juice to spend the night (albeit with Sentry Mode and Cabin Over Heat Protection turned off) to get to the next SC'er the next morning. Be safe out there.

I booked the Novotel confluence in Lyon for our road trip and they said they had electric vehicle charging.
Went to charge and the destination charger was in use, the others required some charge club card to use. Returned next day, parked up and the charge cable wouldn’t stretch… Genius! Why are the destination cables so short? 1/10 to Tesla for this one and 1/10 for effort from the car park owners for their pathetic effort one Tesla charger that can’t be reached and 6 more I couldn’t use Brilliant!

Plugshare is a good resource. If 20 people before you has success there's a pretty good chance you will too. You should also post your experience on plugshare to warn others.