Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t summon your vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may be new to Tesla. Any high-tech features are basically their tests with risk to the user. Autopilot, FSD, summon, etc all need human supervision. These functions work most of the time, maybe 99% of the time. But they won’t be flawless, at least not for a while. If you’re not ok with this fact, don’t use them. The anxiety and uncertainty may not be worth it.

Reactions: NeverGoingBack
BTW, the cameras can NOT see curbs once they are too close to the vehicle...this is why Tesla can't offer a Birdseye view via OTA update.

Who should we believe: someone on the internet or the reputable high tech Tesla? It clearly said 6 years ago that all its Tesla cars got FSD hardware.

It's important for avoiding hitting the curbs now if 1 million robotaxis would become a reality in 2020 or 2 years ago.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Summon and Smart Summon cannot detect curbs ……. See Owners Manual warning below:
DAC4B461-5485-4B06-B837-710F26218FD5.jpeg

Reactions: Ruffles
Then how does FSD detect curbs?
FSD is still in beta. During this time YOU are fully responsible for the cars actions. Tesla believes that, in the future, they will eventually be willing to be liable for FSD behavior. It will require FSD to maintain memory of curbs (permanence?) that it saw before they are too close to see anymore with the camera suite. That will happen when it's not beta and SAE L3/L4. This could be later this year (unlikely), in a few years, or never, depending on your confidence in Tesla vision to meet FSD promises.

I summoned my model y and it crashed into a curb. Wrecked the rim and peeled the tire like a pear. Brutal.
View attachment 820825
Even if this happened they way you say it did, it is entirely your fault for letting it happen. I curbed my wheel on day one as have many others. Curbs are difficult to judge and Tesla will most certainly not fix it for free. Sorry you had to learn this the hard way but take comfort in that you are not alone.

Reactions: amerimark
Never used summon in 3 years.
Never use auto select gear.
Never use even auto opening/closing garage door.

I use lane keep, blinker change lane and green light beep. And that’s it. I’m happy with that for the $22,000 (on 3 Tesla’s) ;)

I've played with my summon and that 'go to target' crap in a wide open stadium parking lot and it sucks donkey dicks! It can't even read lines, curbs ...anything...its just goes...and goes until you release the button. ...and the button better be on an apple phone. If it's on an android...it'll just lag like hell... Then there's the course it plots...makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...it would plot big ass U loops and hooks just to get from A to B...wierd...

Reactions: D.E.
Dead serious. The curb was next to the parking spot and it made an immediate right into it instead of pulling out then going right. Horrible. Tesla better cover the damage
I guess you probably know that Tesla isn’t going to cover the damage. It’ll be an insurance issue if anything but it isn’t worth claiming. So it’s an expensive part of your beta test software experience.

I tried summon once, the car turned the wrong way in a parking lot so I stopped it right there and that’s the last time I used it. Mine didn’t drive over a curb, wallop another car, run over a child in a wheelchair, hit a wall, drive into traffic, etc., so my beta test was cheaper than yours, but no more successful.

Be very careful with any of these self driving beta features. They screw up. And if this beta version doesn’t screw up, the next one might. Finally when there’s a feature you like and want to use, wait a bit and let the others test it with their expensive cars first. Then if no one bangs up their car over a few months then you test it, cautiously at first. Sometimes it’ll work really well a hundred times, then when you trust it, whammo into your garage wall, over another curb, or into a truck with a very high bumper.

But you know all this now, right? I should have told you before you summoned. At least you didn’t damage your car’s body. You are ahead of some testers.