Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t summon your vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. Summon doesn’t use the FSD software logic. Have you not seen smart summon in action before? It just drives randomly and ignores all lines and customs. Ie it drives over parking spots and drives all over the road like a 5 year old trying to control an RC car.

And FSD sees lines with the front camera. Could the front camera see the curb next to your wheel when parked? No. There’s no sensors that low that would pick up that curb. Plenty of videos of FSD clipping curbs when making turns too.
It’s “beta”. As Elon said for FSD you should expect it to do the wrong thing at the wrong time and be prepared to intervene.
The feature is supposed to bring the car to you. Meaning your not next to it. Unreliable feature that sounds good but isn’t meant to be used. I’m not going to summon my vehicle when I’m next to it. Dumb feature until it improves

...feature...
The problem with Tesla features is: It doesn't explain how it works and why it is really bad for a $12,000 option.

1656180072683.png

It does explain that it has "AI team", "Advanced Sensor Coverage", "360 degrees" and "Tesla Vision" ... but then why it still crashes after 8 years since the introduction of AP1 or 6 years since the introduction of AP2?

I hate this happened to you but I don't have FSD and I could've told you to not use the Summon feature. It's a parlor trick that has a very limited use case. The Summon feature is about as ready for primetime as FSD is. We're just not there yet folks.

Oh, and Tesla definitely won't cover the damage. The Service Center will probably laugh at the mention of it. Unfortunately, this is a hard lesson you'll have to learn.

Aren’t there sensors in the lower part of the car ? So it can sense the curb?

Apparently the low rise obstacles aren’t reliably detected. I would assume this job would fall on the ultrasonic sensors on the bumpers, and the cameras.

Let us look at the speed, though. It is only 10-15 mph at the most. Very low speed. The whole suite of sensors is supposed to handle speeds up to 80+ mph. So the use case here was well within the envelope of the design parameters, I should think.

I don’t know if this is due to a glitch or bug in their software suite.

Reactions: Walkingbird
Smart summon is a risky party trick at this point in its development. I quit using it exactly in fear of what happened to OP. Knowing Tesla won't fix the damage incurred while using Smart summon is really all you need to know. Since, unlike AP, I'm not in the car to correct its mistakes...no thank you. I worry about curbs and light poles.

BTW, the cameras can NOT see curbs once they are too close to the vehicle...this is why Tesla can't offer a Birdseye view via OTA update.