Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t trust trip Nav in colder weather!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Travelling to Calgary from the Okanagan. This summer the trip calculator was pretty much bang on with battery levels arriving at the super chargers... today the temps have been hovering around freezing and it’s been way off!
Thankfully I didn’t trust it and charged far more than recommended, otherwise I would have been stranded in no mans land......

Good to know.

I believe the website A Better Route Planner can offer more accuracy as it let's you set weather temp, wind, rain/snow, etc...
Doing some tests on that site before buying the car I noted how drastically weather and wind can affect range. Far more so than with gas is affected in an ICE car. I credit that site as one of the main reasons I went with the AWD LR model and know now I would not be happy if I didn't.

Reactions: Phlier
Good to know.

I believe the website A Better Route Planner can offer more accuracy as it let's you set weather temp, wind, rain/snow, etc...
Doing some tests on that site before buying the car I noted how drastically weather and wind can affect range. Far more so than with gas is affected in an ICE car. I credit that site as one of the main reasons I went with the AWD LR model and know now I would not be happy if I didn't.
Yep, running numerous simulations on ABRP gave me the confidence that the Model 3 LR-AWD could finally replace my BMW.

Although I'm mostly in a warmer climate, I do make trips to the Pacific NW & BC. Seat heaters and blankets are your friends. Cold temps, cabin heat, headwinds, and speed are your enemies. Think twice before passing up any charging opportunities, as even an hour of L2 charging can sometimes be enough to get you there. A J1772 charger in Burns, OR, with a Tesla adapter has saved me twice. Burns really needs a Supercharger, btw. Cabin heat is free in an ICE car. I'm betting sometime down the line, Teslas will have an air-to-air heat pump as an option.