Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t use hand sanitizer on your 15” screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used it to clean the screen, and while it certainly didn’t damage the actual screen, it momentarily (about a minute or two) made the screen functions go wonky. Like I was pressing multiple areas at once. Kept doing it until it thoroughly dries, or you wipe it off.

No damage, but likely not a good option on the screen. Note the sanitizer has 70% alcohol.

cheers.
thanks for the heads up, some people might be temped in using sanitizers during these special times.

First thing I bought for my car after the side mirror blind spot mirrors was a $12 tempered glass screen protector. I’ve alcohol wiped that many times with no issues at all...just being careful to not let liquid run off the screen. I’m not a fan of using Clorox bleach wipes in a black interior car for obvious reasons.

And yes, steer clear of antibacterial wipes or spays unless they specifically include at least 60% alcohol...most antibacterial cleaners contain chemicals that kill living organisms which bacteria are. Virus aren’t alive (so killing a virus is a bit of a misnomer but feels good to say :) ).

Btw, I also wipe the outside door handle, the corner of the window glass we always seem to touch opening and closing the door, the inside door handle, the steering wheel, and the center console. Wife and I are high risk if we catch covid so why risk it.

And for the seats Clorox wipes is exactly what Ultrafabric recommends. We’ve been over this here dozens of times. Unless you are one of the few to have actual cloth or leather seats, you can use wipes on the seats. I use them and then a damp (water) paper towel. If you can’t find them locally, that’s another recent problem of course.

Are you really asking why I’m sanitizing my screen during a COVID outbreak ?

Ive been sanitizing everything I can. The question is why would you NOT Do that as an added precaution. You touch the screen multiple times every time you drive.
Even if your hands are sanitized, the risk is there.

There is your why. :)

Because there is a national shortage on sanitizer and a reasonably intelligent person would worry about your hands BEFORE you enter your vehicle.