Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t use suction cup devices on the piano black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG so sorry for you. I’m sure this info is an eye-opener for many. Good thing I guess is you can get the center console vinyl wrapped with something else, infact many do so with a matte finish vinyl to prevent fingerprints. Vinyl wrap is not terribly expensive either but certainly not something you’d want to suction mount something to either. Some have even bought DIY kits and carefully done it themselves.

OMG so sorry for you. I’m sure this info is an eye-opener for many. Good thing I guess is you can get the center console vinyl wrapped with something else, infact many do so with a matte finish vinyl to prevent fingerprints. Vinyl wrap is not terribly expensive either but certainly not something you’d want to suction mount something to either. Some have even bought DIY kits and carefully done it themselves.
my daughter works at a vinyl warp shop in fremont, i ordered my model 3 last night will get it wrapped right away

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
Might be better to get something like https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Dashboard-Magellan-Portable-Navigators/dp/B0772CR74K. Mount the suction cup device to that then lay the mount on the dash.

Disclaimer: I have no experience w/the above. I have a round one that's different that I bought from Fry's years ago that might be discontinued. The principle's the same though.
I found the box for what I have that I've used on various non-Tesla vehicles. It's a DP Audio DG101. Says "mobile dashboard mount" on it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/DP-Audio...ble-GPS-Phones-and-MP3-Players-DG101/36979187 has it for an insane $50. I didn't pay $50 for it. I think I paid between $8 and $12 for it at Fry's.

This explains why others have reported the console scratches so easily. I also thought it was glossy plastic and was surprised to read it could be so delicate. Now learning it's actually just a film explains it. I guess I should avoid using any cleaning products on that surface as well.

Now we all want to see what it looks like with this OEM vinyl wrap removed.
On the second thought ... this does not look like the suction cap pulled off some foil. It it did, one giant bubble would form in the center.
What happened is the rubber 'seal' of that suction cap pressed against the glossy foil so hard that is 'squeezed' it thin causing it to expand laterally and form bubbles.

Alternative explanation would be a chemical reaction between the rubber seal (or some conditioning on it) and that glossy surface.

There are reports of console being easy to scratch suggesting it is rather soft and thus hinting towards the first squeezing explanation.

Nevertheless, I still want to know how to remove that OEM gloss :)

Reactions: WdstockWizard
Thank you for posting this as I've been looking for the right suction mount to mount onto the plastic as well. I assumed it was buffed and shined and wasn't some glossy filmed that was applied but good to know!