Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t used unapproved 3rd party apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This sounds like Tesla get-out-of-work-itis. Since when did “using” a computer “ruin” it? Computers don’t need sleep.
True, but it's entirely possible that a third party app could still somehow ruin something related to your car's computer. For instance, with certain types of memory, you have only a limited number of write cycles. If a third party app causes too many writes too often, it could ruin the memory.

Reactions: SalisburySam
True, but it's entirely possible that a third party app could still somehow ruin something related to your car's computer. For instance, with certain types of memory, you have only a limited number of write cycles. If a third party app causes too many writes too often, it could ruin the memory.
Total horsh and bullsh. The phrase FUD doesn’t begin to cover this.

Total horsh and bullsh. The phrase FUD doesn’t begin to cover this.

No, not really. If you have an app, say TeslaFi, and don't have it configured to allow your Tesla to sleep it keeps the MCU awake and processing which up until recently it logged a lot anytime it was awake. And because of that the eMMC gets worn out and causes your MCU to stop working.

So yes, using an app can cause your Tesla to fail earlier than it would have otherwise.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
How long do SSDs really last?

"The downside of SSDs with the NAND Flash-based chips is that they have a limited lifespan by default. While normal HDDs can – in theory – last forever (in reality about 1o years max.), SSDs have a built-in “time of death”. To keep it simple: An electric effect results from the fact that data can only be written on a storage cell inside the chips between approximately 3.000 and 100.000 times during its lifetime. After that, the cells “forget” new data. Because of this fact – and to prevent certain cells from getting used all the time while others aren´t – the manufacturers use ‘Wear-Leveling-Algorithms’ to distribute data evenly over all cells by the controller. As with HDDs the user can check the current SSD status by using the S.M.A.R.T. analysis tool, which shows the remaining lifespan of an SSD."

...The phrase FUD doesn’t begin to cover this.

Confession: I had to look up FUD. But it's perfect. It's also the go to strategy for just about every social, political, and commercial group out there right now. It must work.

Given the pains Tesla has gone to to source robust components for their (newer) vehicles, I doubt seriously that something as important as persistent memory fell through the cracks. The lifespan limits of solid state memory are so well documented, even we know about it.

Reactions: jpfive
IDK. But I also wonder what else is stopped by service mode.

Last I picked up car It was left in service mode. I walked back in and asked about it. She said speed, remote access, and sentry recording was limited. But they did also pull out the usb stock.

It had service mode watermarked on the screen.

had to enter a code to disable. She said it was a gps locked code so it wouldn’t work elsewhere.

• Informative
Reactions: Battpower