Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Done with Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla uses a single wide angle camera designed to capture the entire cabin that has obstructed view depending on the angle of the rear view mirror, the other systems use IR sensors mixed with cameras that are dedicated/focused solely on a drivers face. No Tesla has IR sensors.

Not only does that effect night competency of the system, it effects the ability to pick up eye tracking behind dark sunglasses, in situations of high glare etc. The hardware may not be that different but the results are staggeringly different.

What's an IR sensor in the context of driver monitoring systems? Every camera sensor picks up IR, so technically every camera is an IR sensor. Here's a document discussing IR cameras used for driver monitoring, and if you read it and look at the diagram, it's clear that an IR camera is just an IR light and a camera sensor working together, but I don't think there's anything special about the camera sensor itself. If there's some other sensor type used for driver monitoring that isn't just a regular camera sensor, I would be interested in learning about it if you can link me to some technical documents or explanations.

I would also like to point out that even dedicated driver monitoring cameras in steering wheels can't be too narrowly focused... they still need to be able to see the driver's face regardless of how tall or short the driver is, how the driver positions their steering wheel and seat, and if the driver leans a little to the left or right.

Last edited:
With the last update (2023.6.11), I hate to admit this publicly but I drove 30 minutes on the highway (autopilot not FSD) without one nag. It must have used the camera to see I was paying attention with hands on the wheel. I think when I put on sunglasses that didn’t work as well obviously.. still probably got 3 nags in 30 minutes. I was worried maybe they disabled something - until I noticed the nag screen finally last week!

To be clear, you're talking about not getting nags when your hands are on the wheel, right? I almost never get nags when I have a hand hanging on the wheel. A lot of us in this thread are talking about how often we get nags when hands are not on the wheel.

What's an IR sensor in the context of driver monitoring systems? Every camera sensor picks up IR, so technically every camera is an IR sensor. Here's a document discussing IR cameras used for driver monitoring, and if you read it and look at the diagram, it's clear that an IR camera is just an IR light and a camera sensor working together, but I don't think there's anything special about the camera sensor itself. If there's some other sensor type used for driver monitoring that isn't just a regular camera sensor, I would be interested in learning about it if you can link me to some technical documents or explanations.

I would also like to point out that even dedicated driver monitoring cameras in steering wheels can't be too narrowly focused... they still need to be able to see the driver's face regardless of how tall or short the driver is, how the driver positions their steering wheel and seat, and if the driver leans a little to the left or right.
You're playing semantics. Having a dedicated IR sensor is not the same as using an optical camera to pick up heat. You know that. If that were the case why have an IR sensor at all in any system. Tesla cheaped out on it's monitoring tech to keep prices down and it shows.

As far as "how wide angle a camera is" there's a difference of a focal length that picks up a one human body to a focal length that picks up 5 human bodies. Now take a low resolution camera that are used in driver monitoring systems. if it's 5 megapixels. In a driver oriented system, the majority of those pixels are dedicated to the driver (because it's looking directly at the driver). There's a lot more information for the system to process but that information is more accurate and nuanced. A cabin oriented system with that same low resolution with have 1/4 the amount of pixels/information available to determine what the driver is doing. Much less nuance and less accurate.

This is why Tesla hasn't gone to "vision only" driver monitoring. Full Stop

To be clear, you're talking about not getting nags when your hands are on the wheel, right? I almost never get nags when I have a hand hanging on the wheel. A lot of us in this thread are talking about how often we get nags when hands are not on the wheel.
Ah ok yes I have my hands on the wheel all the time during autopilot and yes it use to nag me a lot more. Never got adventurous enough to remove my hands from the wheel more than a second or two. Especially after a few cases of phantom braking.. scared the hell out of me.

I get nagged all the time. It appears my ability to keep pressure on the wheel mimics a “hand defeat device,” which I didn’t even know about until the car started falsely accusing me of having!!