Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don's FSD Challenge Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

theflyer

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2015
Northern Virginia
Some fellow TMC friends would like to have a thread to discuss an ongoing Challenge I created to document improvements to FSD over time.

The following playlist explains the why and what of the challenge and also condensed and grades for each run. The result of each run will include a video grading the run, like second video below. Thoughts, comments, and ideas are welcome. Each run takes a ton of time to edit together and then cut it down so I won't do a run for each and every version. The goal is to document improvement over the next couple years.

Some fellow TMC friends would like to have a thread to discuss an ongoing Challenge I created to document improvements to FSD over time.

The following playlist explains the why and what of the challenge and also condensed and grades for each run. The result of each run will include a video grading the run, like second video below. Thoughts, comments, and ideas are welcome. Each run takes a ton of time to edit together and then cut it down so I won't do a run for each and every version. The goal is to document improvement over the next couple years.

Thank you for doing this. I look forward to seeing the progress over time. I know you can't do the run for every single software update and that would be a waste of time anyway since there wouldn't be that much change in between incremental software versions. So I would recommend you only do runs for major software updates when the releases notes specifically mention a significant FSD feature or improvement.

I captures some screen shots from one of your videos to give folks and idea of your testing measurements, routes, and challenges.

32t7TeT.jpg

8yiGj7c.jpg

Zni91gD.jpg

So I would recommend you only do runs for major software updates when the releases notes specifically mention a significant FSD feature or improvement.
That's kind of what I'm thinking too. I can always highlight and review the incremental changes along the way. It's hard not to do at least a partial run for 2019.40.2.1 because the lane changes are so substantially improved. However, they won't substantially change the structure of how the car performs on the 23 challenges. For instance, challenge two is the most difficult from a lane change perspective and I've done a spot check to confirm that 40.2.1 still cannot complete that challenge.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too. I can always highlight and review the incremental changes along the way. It's hard not to do at least a partial run for 2019.40.2.1 because the lane changes are so substantially improved. However, they won't substantially change the structure of how the car performs on the 23 challenges. For instance, challenge two is the most difficult from a lane change perspective and I've done a spot check to confirm that 40.2.1 still cannot complete that challenge.

Do you have the AP3 computer? If so, you will get the upcoming "FSD sneak preview" that might have some good FSD stuff that you can test.