Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't blow your $ on accessories before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many here, I bought a bunch of accessories in anticipation of my MY delivery. Since taking delivery, much of my enthusiasm has evaporated into disappointment. The only accessories I can recommend thus far is the Spigen matte screen protector, due to its quality and foolproof installation, a Samsung T7 SSD for TeslaCam and Boombox, a $16 garage door remote, and a passenger dog seat cover for my pooch who rides shotgun. The fact is I like my MY, stock, as configured! I bought very nice Tesla Sheild Frunk and Trunk mats, but honestly, I'm just as happy with Tesla's stock offering. Where my bought and paid for Tesla Shield passenger and rear mats are, God only knows?

Today, I tried installing Abstract Ocean footwell lights. I admit I'm no mechanic. After a half hour I said screw this! I can attest that AO's Spudger tool is not the miracle they'd have you believe. Ditto, for Abstract Ocean performance pedals. Leave them in the sun an hour or two until the rubber softens? Give me a break! Besides, once again, I prefer Tesla's stock pedals. Nor do I need to "customize" my MY with fancy colored decals. My MY is beautiful, as is.

I have a White on White MY and I believe black Induction wheels look heavy and dirty. I also think Gemini wheels without Aero covers are butt ugly. Aero cover are a great match for a white MY, IMO. Which negates another accessory I bought before delivery, zippered nylon Aero cover storage. I share your enthusiasm in anticipation of delivery but advise you not to get too carried away. Before you see what you get, it's best not to plan how to change it. Good luck!

Last edited:
At risk of sounding defensive, I'll push back a little regarding my pre-delivery purchases:

Floor mats - maybe not in SoCal , but pretty much required where you have wet, snow, leaves, pine needles, spinners, and all manner of stuff you're tracking in/out of a car. Haven't owned a car in 20 years without putting something else on the floor. Every few months they come out of the car (along with cargo / trunk mat) and get cleaned, too easy.

Cargo mat - same thing. I put muddy hiking boots, poles, stuff from Home Depot/Lowes, and without something on the carpet, it quickly gets pretty trashed and dirty.

Center organizer - a giant void quickly becomes a mess. Some place to put smaller items like gum, Burts Bees, mailbox key, sunglasses and other items seems like a no brainer.

Cup holder silicon - probably could see first then buy if needed. However after a few latte spills into the cup holder of my GTI, I wish I'd have done something preventative.

Gemini used set - your personal views of how they look are not universally shared. After going down the rabbit hole of trying to cobble together another set of wheels, tires, TPMS, et al, the used Gemini's seemed a reasonable option at $1900. I wasn't too keen on slip sliding on the Uberturbines and their 21" summer tires around here when it gets icy, which it does somewhat frequently in the dark winter months. Worst case is they're easy to flip or put actual winter tires on them in the next season or two, and take it up skiing / boarding instead of our ICE SUV.

Questionable need:
Cel phone holder - this is one I honestly don't know if I need. My thoughts are having Waze up for hazards, maybe streaming podcasts over BT, or other use where the in-car apps / integrations aren't great are worth it but am not 100% certain.

Charger - probably could have gotten away with an RV plug + the charger that comes with the car but also anticipate another Tesla in the fleet, sometime in the next year or two. It also gives me a permanent outside mounting option, if we decide to go that route, and is tax deductible.

Bad call:
Puddle lights - yeah wish I'd have not gotten these and didn't do enough reading on the forums here.

At risk of sounding defensive, I'll push back a little regarding my pre-delivery purchases:

Floor mats - maybe not in SoCal , but pretty much required where you have wet, snow, leaves, pine needles, spinners, and all manner of stuff you're tracking in/out of a car. Haven't owned a car in 20 years without putting something else on the floor. Every few months they come out of the car (along with cargo / trunk mat) and get cleaned, too easy.

Cargo mat - same thing. I put muddy hiking boots, poles, stuff from Home Depot/Lowes, and without something on the carpet, it quickly gets pretty trashed and dirty.

Center organizer - a giant void quickly becomes a mess. Some place to put smaller items like gum, Burts Bees, mailbox key, sunglasses and other items seems like a no brainer.

Cup holder silicon - probably could see first then buy if needed. However after a few latte spills into the cup holder of my GTI, I wish I'd have done something preventative.

Gemini used set - your personal views of how they look are not universally shared. After going down the rabbit hole of trying to cobble together another set of wheels, tires, TPMS, et al, the used Gemini's seemed a reasonable option at $1900. I wasn't too keen on slip sliding on the Uberturbines and their 21" summer tires around here when it gets icy, which it does somewhat frequently in the dark winter months. Worst case is they're easy to flip or put actual winter tires on them in the next season or two, and take it up skiing / boarding instead of our ICE SUV.

Questionable need:
Cel phone holder - this is one I honestly don't know if I need. My thoughts are having Waze up for hazards, maybe streaming podcasts over BT, or other use where the in-car apps / integrations aren't great are worth it but am not 100% certain.

Charger - probably could have gotten away with an RV plug + the charger that comes with the car but also anticipate another Tesla in the fleet, sometime in the next year or two. It also gives me a permanent outside mounting option, if we decide to go that route, and is tax deductible.

Bad call:
Puddle lights - yeah wish I'd have not gotten these and didn't do enough reading on the forums here.
I love my puddle lights honestly... not the logo kind but a similar look as OEM but with a much brighter white bulb. Improves safety all around the car when loading and unloading and especially if you have kids. Don't really care to make the footwells brighter or another color. Just the 4 doors. On my X and 3 they made a huge difference, and never had an issue with windows. And if I happened to have had an issue prior to service I would have swapped them out. They are so easy to remove and install it was the first thing I went to purchase when we picked up a MYP.

I love my puddle lights honestly... not the logo kind but a similar look as OEM but with a much brighter white bulb. Improves safety all around the car when loading and unloading and especially if you have kids. Don't really care to make the footwells brighter or another color. Just the 4 doors. On my X and 3 they made a huge difference, and never had an issue with windows. And if I happened to have had an issue prior to service I would have swapped them out. They are so easy to remove and install it was the first thing I went to purchase when we picked up a MYP.
I'm sure the benefits are real, noticed how dim they were OEM. My concern is (correct any misunderstanding) that if they were to burn / short out, the window will raise slightly higher than it ought to, and if you close the door, it could shatter the window. The risk may be somewhat remote, but it's not zero, particularly if it happens to a door where a passenger may not be aware of this possibility, close the door, and <shatter>.

Reactions: TSLY
I'm sure the benefits are real, noticed how dim they were OEM. My concern is (correct any misunderstanding) that if they were to burn / short out, the window will raise slightly higher than it ought to, and if you close the door, it could shatter the window. The risk may be somewhat remote, but it's not zero, particularly if it happens to a door where a passenger may not be aware of this possibility, close the door, and <shatter>.
I guess I was trying to explain, if it does happen, which for 2 years now on both cars I have had no problem... that to say always possible. Just simply unplug the new, keep the old ones and put them back in. Service center doesn't know any better.

Reactions: TSLY and Corndart
Only think I picked up was the rubber floor mats. I use my MY to get to/ from mountain bike rides and there is often mud involved. I also live in the country where dirt is inevitable. The factory floor mats are tucked in the back. When I sell it, it’ll look brand new.

Reactions: Corndart and TSLY
I think part of the issue is comparing what is functional to what is fashionable. I bought stuff prior to delivery that I knew I wanted for functional reasons.:

All weather mats-To keep mud from grinding into the floor after mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, etc.
Trunk all weather mats- I have dogs with dirty paws.
Trunk privacy screen- I don't want to advertise the expensive stuff I might be hauling around in my trunk
Console organizers- After seeing the jumbled mess that the console "voids" became in my M3, this was a no brainer.

After purchase, I realized that I needed the rear cubby hole liners with lids because my dogs might fall into the holes when dashing around the trunk area. But all of these were functional things that I knew I needed for daily use, not for making my car look "rad."

I would suggest holding off on cosmetic purchases until after you get the car and you see what you might want one you see it in person. I have a white MY so I bought black vinyl overlays for the Tesla logo ornaments on the trunk and hood because I think that black on white looks better than chrome on white. (The chrome logos look much better on my blue M3.)

I think part of the issue is comparing what is functional to what is fashionable. I bought stuff prior to delivery that I knew I wanted for functional reasons.:

All weather mats-To keep mud from grinding into the floor after mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, etc.
Trunk all weather mats- I have dogs with dirty paws.
Trunk privacy screen- I don't want to advertise the expensive stuff I might be hauling around in my trunk
Console organizers- After seeing the jumbled mess that the console "voids" became in my M3, this was a no brainer.

After purchase, I realized that I needed the rear cubby hole liners with lids because my dogs might fall into the holes when dashing around the trunk area. But all of these were functional things that I knew I needed for daily use, not for making my car look "rad."

I would suggest holding off on cosmetic purchases until after you get the car and you see what you might want one you see it in person. I have a white MY so I bought black vinyl overlays for the Tesla logo ornaments on the trunk and hood because I think that black on white looks better than chrome on white. (The chrome logos look much better on my blue M3.)

Can you point me to what where you got the bolded? I have MSM on order and I think I would prefer the blacked out logos as well but didn't want to do anything that involved a lot of work, lol. Is this something easy to apply yourself?

Ditto, for Abstract Ocean performance pedals. Leave them in the sun an hour or two until the rubber softens? Give me a break!

For those, like me, that love the look of the upgraded pedals, the trick is not heat, it's very soapy water. Put a lot of dish soap in a little bit of water and use it as lubricant to slide and then push the pedals on with a little bit of folding the lip over the edge by hand. The soap dries up and leaves the pedals firmly in place.

Can you point me to what where you got the bolded? I have MSM on order and I think I would prefer the blacked out logos as well but didn't want to do anything that involved a lot of work, lol. Is this something easy to apply yourself?
Custom Cut Graphics Logo Decal Wrap for Tesla Model Y, 4-pc Set (Brushed Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08849786...abc_HKNTASCNBHV9XDS8W68C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the brushed black. You get 4 decals. These do not totally black out the logo. You still see about a mm of silver around the edge which looks great IMHO.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Custom Cut Graphics Logo Decal Wrap for Tesla Model Y, 4-pc Set (Brushed Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08849786...abc_HKNTASCNBHV9XDS8W68C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the brushed black. You get 4 decals. These do not totally black out the logo. You still see about a mm of silver around the edge which looks great IMHO.
!remindme in 2 years.

None of my vinyl decal stuff on my GTI looks very good after a couple of years. They faded, and this is in the PacNW where its dark and gloomy a lot. The car was also intermittently in a home garage, and underground parking garage at work. Could have just been a poor decal job but it came highly recommended through Vortex boards, obviously ymmv.

Reactions: TSLY
Like many here, I bought a bunch of accessories in anticipation of my MY delivery. Since taking delivery, much of my enthusiasm has evaporated into disappointment. The only accessories I can recommend thus far is the Spigen matte screen protector, due to its quality and foolproof installation, a Samsung T7 SSD for TeslaCam and Boombox, a $16 garage door remote, and a passenger dog seat cover for my pooch who rides shotgun. The fact is I like my MY, stock, as configured! I bought very nice Tesla Sheild Frunk and Trunk mats, but honestly, I'm just as happy with Tesla's stock offering. Where my bought and paid for Tesla Shield passenger and rear mats are, God only knows?

Today, I tried installing Abstract Ocean footwell lights. I admit I'm no mechanic. After a half hour I said screw this! I can attest that AO's Spudger tool is not the miracle they'd have you believe. Ditto, for Abstract Ocean performance pedals. Leave them in the sun an hour or two until the rubber softens? Give me a break! Besides, once again, I prefer Tesla's stock pedals. Nor do I need to "customize" my MY with fancy colored decals. My MY is beautiful, as is.

I have a White on White MY and I believe black Induction wheels look heavy and dirty. I also think Gemini wheels without Aero covers are butt ugly. Aero cover are a great match for a white MY, IMO. Which negates another accessory I bought before delivery, zippered nylon Aero cover storage. I share your enthusiasm in anticipation of delivery but advise you not to get too carried away. Before you see what you get, it's best not to plan how to change it. Good luck!
Good advice.
I would appreciate members opinion on matt screen protectors- not brand recommendations but in principal; do I need a screen protector? If yes, then why?

Damage protection, finger print protection or sun reflection or.... or.....

Perhaps I should wait until I have the car ( late June 2022) and test drive the screen.

All feedback gratefully received.
Thank you.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jonte73
My concern is (correct any misunderstanding) that if they were to burn / short out, the window will raise slightly higher than it ought to, and if you close the door, it could shatter the window. The risk may be somewhat remote, but it's not zero, particularly if it happens to a door where a passenger may not be aware of this possibility, close the door, and <shatter>.
Wait, are you saying the door light and the power window are daisy-chained on the same circuit? So if the light were to stop working, the window would not operate? I am not doubting you, that would be insane if true.

Even if not daisy-chained, how could an LED light dictate how the window operates? Genuinely concerned and curious about this.

Good advice.
I would appreciate members opinion on matt screen protectors- not brand recommendations but in principal; do I need a screen protector? If yes, then why?

Damage protection, finger print protection or sun reflection or.... or.....

Perhaps I should wait until I have the car ( late June 2022) and test drive the screen.

All feedback gratefully received.
Thank you.
I highly recommend getting a screen protector. It's the first thing I installed on my MYP. You can find good quality options in the $20-$30 range that will prevent what could be a $1,000+ repair of a chipped or cracked screen. It's basically unnoticeable once installed, prevents glare, and it doesn't attract fingerprints and dust as easily as the bare screen does. There's no good reason not to get one.

Wait, are you saying the door light and the power window are daisy-chained on the same circuit? So if the light were to stop working, the window would not operate? I am not doubting you, that would be insane if true.

Even if not daisy-chained, how could an LED light dictate how the window operates? Genuinely concerned and curious about this.

Reactions: SL77