Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't bother reserving a Y on the first day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I know, every reservation was honored (and continue to be honored) by Tesla as promised. Even now, the Model 3 SR reservations are getting priority over the other purchasers. Sure, if your intent when reserving a car was for the Model 3 SR, it may sound like you got the long end of the straw, but business pressures do tend to win. I was a Day 1 - In line reservation holder and decided that the LR RWD option worked for me, so I've had a car for close to a year.

But indeed, a reservation generally meant that you got a car a few months before non-reservation holders. Lot so non-reservation holders got cars before reservation holders, but that was because the reservation holders decided to wait until a specific version was manufactured.

unfortunately, this is definitely not the case in Europe.
Even for simular configuration, people who were no Tesla drivers, had no reservation and ordered in feb19, got their cars before the true early adopters of S and X, having a first day reservation and ordered dec 18.

And this is not just me, but actually most of the people I know.
In Europe, unfortunately Tesla definitely made a complete mess with the 3... and it's still going on.
Still no VIN, no boat-number, no delivery date for my first minute M3 reservation.
Not the 'token of appreciation' I expected.

But... my mistake. I should have cancelled my 3 with the first deliveries, and ordered a new one using my wife's name.

In short : there will be few reservations from the old fan base in Europe.

I think people can make better decisions on whether to reserve knowing the Y will likely follow the 3's launch. Keep in mind, those who could afford the first 3 that came out, the LR RWD, were indeed able to place orders before the general public. I reserved on day of reveal shortly after the event started, and received my invitation to order the LR RWD before web orders were opened to public.

Only people who were planning to hold out until whenever the $35k trim launches felt "fooled". There were plenty of people who got their 3 before the general public could place orders.

The Y will still get a ton of reservations, likely not as many as the half a million the 3 had, but still a lot.

+1 here. As line-waiting existing owner in CA, we took delivery on 12/27/17.

I know Tesla has sold lots of Model S and Xs in the Netherlands so am thinking that previous Tesla owners are the ones driving those 600 Model 3s now. Elon has always said he would prioritize previous owners first (after employees) because they helped build the company to what it was. I always like that about the company. Are you new to Tesla with your Model 3 order?
//..//

Well, as above, in my case : I still own a classic ModelS.
Have a first minute, very low reservation number. (31.03.16)
Ordered the LongRange.... 3 months ago.
No good news, no Vin, no boatnumber, no delivery date.
While none Tesla owners (well, they are now;)), without reservation, ordered feb19 already are driving their M3... my configuration.

Looks like the delivery team is working LIFO...

• Informative
Reactions: Smokkelaar
Getting anything early is a roll of the dice with Tesla. I picked up my 3 on Dec 22 2017 (spent 10 min online to reserve - forget waiting in line) and have the alcantara which I prefer over the textile but it's less efficient than the 2018 model per EPA. I also paid less for paint and parts like the aero wheel cap kit. I also wanted to make sure I was locked into the tax credit since at the time it wasn't clear if it was going to end in 2017. That would've been a game changer if tax credits ended. Another example - those who bought into FSD early should've saved buyers money but in fact could've cost them more. I know that was the case with my Model S with regards to the battery upgrade option.

The main and primary reason for the M3 reservation was to ensure you were in line for the max Fed Tax Credit. Unknown at the time was Tesla's future pricing strategy once the tax credit went away. No regrets whatsoever getting a reservation and getting an earlier build Model 3!!!

This.

I get the sense that a lot of people are forgetting that at the time no one really knew when Tesla would get to 200,000 vehicles delivered and start the tax credit sunset. We also didn't have pricing information on the different trim levels and had no idea what would be made available first. Being later in line could have meant getting less car for the same amount of money just from missing out on the full tax credit. Things are different this time with the tax credit being a non-factor and knowing the exact prices of the different Y trim levels. It makes it way easier to say "no way" to putting down money to reserve the Y and revise history to claim it was a mistake to do it for the 3.

I don't regret standing in line for my 3 reservation and "settling" on the first production run that came out. It's a fantastic car and I got to enjoy it for many months earlier than most people. All of that is meaningless now that the number of 3s on the road has grown exponentially, but it was fun being in a relatively exclusive club for about 6 months.

Having been through all of that, I knew that there was no way I was going to bother putting down an early reservation for the Y, even though it's certain that I'm going to get it. I feel more seasoned this time. I'm also hoping that current owners will get priority again because it sure was painful being a Day 1 non-owner line-waiter for the 3 to see S and X owners who reserved online much later get invited to configure months earlier. Hopefully I'll be on the other end of things this time.

Reactions: forkliter
I know Tesla has sold lots of Model S and Xs in the Netherlands so am thinking that previous Tesla owners are the ones driving those 600 Model 3s now. Elon has always said he would prioritize previous owners first (after employees) because they helped build the company to what it was. I always like that about the company. Are you new to Tesla with your Model 3 order?

Yeah no. There is a very well known Dutch poster on this board that is a double owner, reserved BEFORE the reveal, ordered the moment the book opened and still didn't get a Model 3. Meanwhile there are non-owners who only reserved last year and ordered this year that are already driving the car. That is the most clear case but there are many others like that.For Calfironia it may make a difference, but there is no benefit for early reservations for overseas deliveries.

Ordered MY.

This is different than the reservations - like the M3 I reserved first day available.

The MY order includes the full configuration details and the price of the car. While the down payment (€ 2,000 in my case) is refundable, this is more than just a reservation - it is an order.

Am I reading the agreement correctly:

"Your Pre-Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle."

So the $2,500 doesn't go to the price? Just for the honor of reserving a spot in line? If so I think I'll just cancel and wait until they're available

As several people have noted Model 3 reservations gave preference to (in order):
1) employees of Tesla and SpaceX located near Fremont;
2) prior Tesla owners/investors located near Fremont;
3) both 1 and 2 located in a gradually increasing radius from Fremont;
4) after 1, 2 and 3, Tesla owners who placed early reservations;
5) next expand geography: still in process;
6) next introduce new reservation countries and configurations: still in process.

I had two Model 3 reservations, one in Florida, US and the other for Brazil. Both were first day. I was invited very early for the US car but waited until Performance was released, when I received one of the first batch delivered to Florida. My Brazil reservation still is in place, showing "Early 2019" but any sane observer must know Tesla will serve UK, HK, Japan, Australia, NZ at least before Brazil happens, not least because all those markets have Tesla presence already, and vastly more market potential. I'll keep that reservation and replace my BMW as soon as my Tesla arrives, whenever that will be. Am I irritated with that interminable wait? YES! Do I blame Tesla for their decisions is this regard? NO!

Already I have placed a Model Y order, expecting to choose the RWD with five seats. I'll wait patiently until it arrives, thinking it will be much better than a BMW X1 or X3 with better effective carrying capacity while being a Tesla. Unbeatable.

Despite an inept presentation and a lack of technical data (all the dimensions would be a good beginning) I have high confidence this time.
Why? Obviously this is a revamped Model 3 with none of the technical innovations that have plagues prior introductions.
Beside that I adored my P85D, love my P3D+, have angrily survived truly horrible customer service and support since Model 3 was configured and seriously debated legal action. Still, I continue adding to my 2012 vintage TSLA portfolio so that TSLA is my second-largest shareholding.

So, given the previous paragraph why on earth am I doing it again? Masochism? Stupidity?

Actually, it is because after all the 'Sturm und Drang' there still is no other vehicle that attracts my interest, no there company which is devoted so clearly to a crucially important mission and no other leader who has so consistently made impossible wonderful things happen. For an unquestionable fact, Elon Musk is a deeply flawed human being. Does anything ever happen in human history without deeply flawed people inspiring change? I think not.

What guarantees do you have the SR AWD M3 is going to come out?

I don't recall Tesla ever saying there would be an AWD version of it. Besides with the extra motor I would want the Mid Range battery. My opinion anyway.
You know that is a very good point. I just felt it would be a logical assumption but you could be right. My dream car may never exist. :eek: The MY reveal did not have a SR AWD either.

Am I reading the agreement correctly:

"Your Pre-Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle."

So the $2,500 doesn't go to the price? Just for the honor of reserving a spot in line? If so I think I'll just cancel and wait until they're available

I believe this is so that Tesla can book the payment as revenue. If it were just a down payment it would have to be booked as a liability (no effect on the bottom line). This way it offsets the costs associated with processing the order. Certainly it will be deducted from the - then applicable - list price of the vehicle. This list price will include the processing costs.

Maybe I am completely wrong. but this is my belief.

Tesla does not screw its customers.

Reactions: webdbbt and Yeomen
This.

I don't regret standing in line for my 3 reservation and "settling" on the first production run that came out. It's a fantastic car and I got to enjoy it for many months earlier than most people. All of that is meaningless now that the number of 3s on the road has grown exponentially, but it was fun being in a relatively exclusive club for about 6 months.

Really? :rolleyes:

I believe this is so that Tesla can book the payment as revenue. If it were just a down payment it would have to be booked as a liability (no effect on the bottom line). This way it offsets the costs associated with processing the order. Certainly it will be deducted from the - then applicable - list price of the vehicle. This list price will include the processing costs.

Maybe I am completely wrong. but this is my belief.

Tesla does not screw its customers.
Blah, I thought Tesla stopped their sketchy accounting practices. These are liabilities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad: :mad: