Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't bother reserving a Y on the first day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm. I think you missed quite a bit of info in that statement. There was a method behind the madness of their rollouts and usually those that were prioritized for good reason. Proximity, previous ownership and willingness to take the first configurations were all announced early on. The only surprise really ended up being the pause they did to ship units to Canada in order to time the max-out event for the tax credit.

My wife and I had to wait on our 3 because we demanded the dual motor but that cost us several months. So what? Still ended up with a great car.

I think people can make better decisions on whether to reserve knowing the Y will likely follow the 3's launch. Keep in mind, those who could afford the first 3 that came out, the LR RWD, were indeed able to place orders before the general public. I reserved on day of reveal shortly after the event started, and received my invitation to order the LR RWD before web orders were opened to public.

Only people who were planning to hold out until whenever the $35k trim launches felt "fooled". There were plenty of people who got their 3 before the general public could place orders.

The Y will still get a ton of reservations, likely not as many as the half a million the 3 had, but still a lot.

As far as I know, every reservation was honored (and continue to be honored) by Tesla as promised. Even now, the Model 3 SR reservations are getting priority over the other purchasers. Sure, if your intent when reserving a car was for the Model 3 SR, it may sound like you got the long end of the straw, but business pressures do tend to win. I was a Day 1 - In line reservation holder and decided that the LR RWD option worked for me, so I've had a car for close to a year.

But indeed, a reservation generally meant that you got a car a few months before non-reservation holders. Lot so non-reservation holders got cars before reservation holders, but that was because the reservation holders decided to wait until a specific version was manufactured.

Tesla did lose me as a customer for the M3 SR AWD which still doesn't exist. I was a line waiter and canceled my order this past Nov when they announced the M3 MR. That's when I realized that my model would most likely be available in 2020.

Obviously, I will not put any money down on the MY since I never make the same mistake twice. Besides, there are no price promises as with the M3, so I don't see the point. And now that I understand Tesla's approach of making the most expensive models first,I'm pretty sure a MY SR will be a late 2021 or early 2022 car at best. Thanks but no thanks. I'll wait for the $30K super discounted M3 SR AWD when the order book runs dry.

Reactions: adaptabl
Im still waiting in the netherlands for my model 3, first in line 3 years ago.
Was 146th that comfirmed the configuration in the netherlands. (ordered the morning after the sales went online).
I'm still waiting while there are already 600 Model 3's on the dutch roads. Even from people that never did any payment before.
No i will not do this again...

Tesla will always start batches based on configuration, so next time i just wait till configuration batch is available. and maybe my car will arrive earliër than the ones that have preordered.

Not my concern, i will have my car for the next few years, let's see when i need a new car.

I second reason was tax reduction... now i have to pay 4800 euro more tax on the same car because tesla only start delivering in 2019, where the taxes were raised by 4800 euro.

Tesla did lose me as a customer for the M3 SR AWD which still doesn't exist. I was a line waiter and canceled my order this past Nov when they announced the M3 MR. That's when I realized that my model would most likely be available in 2020.

Obviously, I will not put any money down on the MY since I never make the same mistake twice. Besides, there are no price promises as with the M3, so I don't see the point. And now that I understand Tesla's approach of making the most expensive models first,I'm pretty sure a MY SR will be a late 2021 or early 2022 car at best. Thanks but no thanks. I'll wait for the $30K super discounted M3 SR AWD when the order book runs dry.

What guarantees do you have the SR AWD M3 is going to come out?

I don't recall Tesla ever saying there would be an AWD version of it. Besides with the extra motor I would want the Mid Range battery. My opinion anyway.

Tesla got us all up and excited on the 3 reveal day, then many people who didn't get early reservations got their cars ahead of those who did.

Fool me once, shame on Tesla, fool me twice.....o_O

I reserved my Model 3 a bit late in the game (8/26/17) as I was waiting to time it when I needed a new car and hadn't made up my mind if we should be an all EV family at that point. As a prior owner got my invite to order before my friend who was a day one reservation holder but not a prior owner. Tesla had a priority system established and from what I saw pretty much followed it until production was above orders to be filled. I wanted the AWD model so passed on ordering when I got finally got my invite on 2/14/18, and at that time had to wait past all the reservation/orders for the Model 3 RWD (my non-owner friend btw got his car before me because he wanted the RWD). I was following the spreadsheet of people waiting for invites when the AWD came available sure enough based on all the earlier placed reservation holders ahead of me, I didn't get my invite until end of June. Was in the last group of July-August 2017 owner reservation holders before Tesla then opened up AWD up to the public. There were some people here who did for whatever reason get ahead of others but for the most part from what I saw following the spreadsheet, it pretty much went by the priority Tesla set out for the vast majority.

I suspect reserving and ordering will be the same for Model Y as the way it's gone for the Model S, Model X and Model 3 when it opens up for reserving. They will be making the more expensive configurations first, and reservation holders in order of priority will be employees, then previous owners, then remaining reservation holders, then open to the public. Then they'll move on to the next configuration as it gets ready to go into production and follow the same sequence all through the variations. If they produce enough in volume at some point beyond the people looking for that specific config, then there would be inventory available for anyone. If the Model Y does get manufacturered at the Gigafactory in AZ then it will have it's own production line/s and batteries/drivetrain made right there and hopefully get produced faster than the cars in Fremont that sometimes are having parts coming from AZ.

So my advice to anyone interested in ordering a Model Y get in line as soon as you are able.

Last edited:
Im still waiting in the netherlands for my model 3, first in line 3 years ago.
Was 146th that comfirmed the configuration in the netherlands. (ordered the morning after the sales went online).
I'm still waiting while there are already 600 Model 3's on the dutch roads. Even from people that never did any payment before.
No i will not do this again...

Tesla will always start batches based on configuration, so next time i just wait till configuration batch is available. and maybe my car will arrive earliër than the ones that have preordered.

Not my concern, i will have my car for the next few years, let's see when i need a new car.

I second reason was tax reduction... now i have to pay 4800 euro more tax on the same car because tesla only start delivering in 2019, where the taxes were raised by 4800 euro.

I know Tesla has sold lots of Model S and Xs in the Netherlands so am thinking that previous Tesla owners are the ones driving those 600 Model 3s now. Elon has always said he would prioritize previous owners first (after employees) because they helped build the company to what it was. I always like that about the company. Are you new to Tesla with your Model 3 order?

The tax credit situation has bitten a number of people here in the U.S. both on the Federal level and even State level as you probably know. It's really the governments' legislature doing not Tesla's, so if you want to blame someone look to the local governing body for costing people more money for their cars. Tesla would love to see more incentives provided for EVs. Some countries/states have been much more friendly to EVs but what are you going to do, move? Anyway I hope your car reaches you sooner than later. You should be getting yours before those that just placed orders or haven't done so yet. Doubt there will be excess inventory anytime soon.

Since the different Model 3 versions are established now, and the Model Y uses Model 3 drivetrain parts, perhaps all (or at least more) versions of the Y will be available right from the start. Thereby minimizing the number of people who wait to order.

I had gotten my configuration email on 2/22/18, but I was protesting having to spend an extra $14,000 to get a LR RWD, so I didn't place my order for about another 6 weeks. Still got an early 014XXX build 3.

And since Tesla has done a lot of learning while getting the 3 production lines going, I think we will definitely have volume production sometime in late 2020. It won't take until 2021.

Since the different Model 3 versions are established now, and the Model Y uses Model 3 drivetrain parts, perhaps all (or at least more) versions of the Y will be available right from the start. Thereby minimizing the number of people who wait to order.

I had gotten my configuration email on 2/22/18, but I was protesting having to spend an extra $14,000 to get a LR RWD, so I didn't place my order for about another 6 weeks. Still got an early 014XXX build 3.

And since Tesla has done a lot of learning while getting the 3 production lines going, I think we will definitely have volume production sometime in late 2020. It won't take until 2021.

My experience was similar. I got the LR M3 in July '18 and have no regrets. I thought I wanted the SR $35K M3 to save money but making sure I got the full tax credit changed my mind to upgrade. I can't tell you how happy I am to have the one I've got.

Reactions: EBossHoss
After passing on ordering the RWD LR to wait hoping AWD would be next (always a surprise what the next config and pricing would be), I was hoping it would occur within the full tax credit. Part of me was jealous not to have had my car sooner and wondering if I made a mistake passing on it and thankfully I didn't hold off hoping for an AWD LR SAS vehicle with sunroof because well I'd still be waiting and probably no tax credit! I love driving my car and also couldn't be happier so all is good. Trying not to think about any new hardware coming down the road had I kept waiting because otherwise I'd be still driving my old car instead and pouring more money into it and annoyed every time I had to go to the gas station. Life is so much better now.

BTW for anyone who puts a deposit down, you can always pass on a version like I did with RWD LR and keep your place in the "invite/order" line until you get the car version you want and can afford. There were occasions when someone suddenly had a car accident and needed a car now, so having your place secured can pay off if they start producing the version you want and you don't then have to be at the end of the order line because you waited to reserve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal

So what are you driving in the meantime?

I know Tesla has sold lots of Model S and Xs in the Netherlands so am thinking that previous Tesla owners are the ones driving those 600 Model 3s now. Elon has always said he would prioritize previous owners first (after employees) because they helped build the company to what it was. I always like that about the company. Are you new to Tesla with your Model 3 order?

The tax credit situation has bitten a number of people here in the U.S. both on the Federal level and even State level as you probably know. It's really the governments' legislature doing not Tesla's, so if you want to blame someone look to the local governing body for costing people more money for their cars. Tesla would love to see more incentives provided for EVs. Some countries/states have been much more friendly to EVs but what are you going to do, move? Anyway I hope your car reaches you sooner than later. You should be getting yours before those that just placed orders or haven't done so yet. Doubt there will be excess inventory anytime soon.
I'm fine that people that has allready another tesla came first in line, that was to be expected.
But some dont had any tesla before, ordered in januari and still getting there tesla earlier. I know because we discussed that in online forums and had some reallife experiences with colleages.
I will wait.... in the end we all drive tesla :D. but mine tesla will be a bit newer.... :)