Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't bother reserving a Y on the first day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, as above, in my case : I still own a classic ModelS.
Have a first minute, very low reservation number. (31.03.16)
Ordered the LongRange.... 3 months ago.
No good news, no Vin, no boatnumber, no delivery date.
While none Tesla owners (well, they are now;)), without reservation, ordered feb19 already are driving their M3... my configuration.

Looks like the delivery team is working LIFO...

It will also depend on how many of cars with your config (color, wheels, seat color etc) get produced initially and able to be shipped over on the first boats and probably split among countries. I know the wait is hard and once they start shipping even more so.

Am I reading the agreement correctly:

"Your Pre-Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle."

So the $2,500 doesn't go to the price? Just for the honor of reserving a spot in line? If so I think I'll just cancel and wait until they're available

What? No, the $2500 will be applied to the balance due when it arrives. What it's saying is it's a pre-order payment and differentiated from a deposit. Sure those category distinctions are handled differently and are legal/accounting based. I've heard of people paying others to wait in line for them so they don't lose their place in line at product introductions when they are coming out with something new in the store, but this isn't one of those times LOL.

Last edited:
It will also depend on how many of cars with your config//--//.

I know what you mean; and that's exactly what happened with the first deliveries of the Model-S in Europe, back in Q4-2013.
No problem with that...

With Model-3; it's completely different - chaos is the right word.
Several people, all long time Tesla-Owners, like me, reserved day 1 (31.03.2016), firm ordered in dec 2018 as soon as the configurator was open. Before the first boat for Europe was loaded, before the first EU-cars were made (based in VIN's we see here in Europe)

Other people, non-Tesla owners, had no reservation, ordered in jan 2019 or even feb 2019, exactly the same configuration as ours (!!), same region (Country) have their cars already delivered.

Good for them, now they too are passionate Tesla drivers.

But, quite frustrating for us. Local Tesla-people tell us they cannot help in any way, VIN are allocated in the US. LIFO ?
So, all we can do is sit here and wait.....

So... no way I will 'order' aka make a reservation for a Y now. Too bad...

Does the $2500 protect from price increases once it's available?

I believe that this agreement does lock in your pricing. I'll leave that to the attorneys in the group....

"Documentation. Your Model Y Motor Vehicle Pre-Order Agreement (the “Agreement”) is made up of the following documents:

1. Vehicle Configuration: The Vehicle Configuration describes the vehicle that you configured and pre-ordered, including pricing (excluding taxes and official or government fees).

2. Final Price Sheet: The Final Price Sheet will be provided to you as your delivery date nears. It will include final pricing based on your final Vehicle Configuration and will include taxes and official or governmental fees.

3. Terms & Conditions: These Terms & Conditions are effective as of the date you place your pre-order and make your Pre-Order Payment (the “Pre-Order Date”).

Agreement to Purchase. You agree to pre-order the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) described in your Vehicle Configuration and by taking delivery, completing the transaction when the Vehicle is ready for delivery from Tesla, Inc. or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.

Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle is indicated in your Vehicle Configuration. This pre-order price does not include taxes and official or government fees, which could amount to up to 10% or more of the Vehicle pre-order price. Because these taxes and fees are constantly changing and will depend on many factors, such as where you register the Vehicle, they will be calculated closer to the time of delivery and indicated on your Final Price Sheet. You are responsible for paying these additional taxes and fees. If you present a check for any payment, we may process the payment as a normal check transaction, or we may use information from your check to make a onetime electronic fund transfer from your account, in which case your bank account will reflect this transaction as an Electronic Fund Transfer"

I don't recall Tesla ever saying there would be an AWD version of it. Besides with the extra motor I would want the Mid Range battery. My opinion anyway.

Tesla never said what would or wouldn't come out before the reveal when everyone was in line. And options have been a constantly moving target. Remember the steel roof? Remember hints of a sunroof option? Those who stood in line (like me) did so based on a leap of faith. I also wanted the air suspension which is still in the cards. The staggered rollout of features not in terms of months but years wreaks havok with reservation lists.

A lot of these options make more sense on something claimed to be an SUV than a sedan, and yet I don't see a lot of evidence of these features being available for the SR Y, so it is like a forced upsell.

I know what you mean; and that's exactly what happened with the first deliveries of the Model-S in Europe, back in Q4-2013.
No problem with that...

With Model-3; it's completely different - chaos is the right word.
Several people, all long time Tesla-Owners, like me, reserved day 1 (31.03.2016), firm ordered in dec 2018 as soon as the configurator was open. Before the first boat for Europe was loaded, before the first EU-cars were made (based in VIN's we see here in Europe)

Other people, non-Tesla owners, had no reservation, ordered in jan 2019 or even feb 2019, exactly the same configuration as ours (!!), same region (Country) have their cars already delivered.

Good for them, now they too are passionate Tesla drivers.

But, quite frustrating for us. Local Tesla-people tell us they cannot help in any way, VIN are allocated in the US. LIFO ?
So, all we can do is sit here and wait.....

So... no way I will 'order' aka make a reservation for a Y now. Too bad...

Good news, I finally got a VIN for my Model-3.
Some 3 months after firm order, almost 3 years after reservation.
Hopefully it will be delivered soon, but I anticipate a few more weeks from now.
But : definitely a milestone.

Reactions: srjinatl and Ormond
In 2021 you could probably buy one for less money, get it a few days later, and have the bugs worked out.
even beyond cars, i never understood the early adopter mentality o_O

edit
Those of us who are early adopters thank you for your patience. A quick review of my performance by my SO revealed that at no time during her 40 years with me have I NOT been a deposit holder for some not-yet-existing product or another. That included: two airplanes, one helicopter, two boats, innumerable consumer electronic gear (she guess at ~40 but I suspect there was more than one a year) plus even more. I was too dismayed to examine her list in detail. FWIW, I now am waiting for three cars among other things.

in defense of early adoption I'd only say that the experience of using the first production version of anything offers the unique ability to influence subsequent versions plus a healthy respect for the complexities of design, production and support of nearly everything. I have never regretted these choices even ones like the NSU Ro80, Mazda R100, Rover 2000TC and Apple Newton that were so spectacularly ill-prepared taht they did/nearly did make their manufacturers fail.
For every one of those I have numerous others that were flawless. Those are too numerous to list.

I think prices (including Model Y) are rising ~3% tonight at midnight (except for base Model 3). That's a good enough reason for me to reserve before midnight.

Increased pricing tonight may not affect Model Y as I've seen mixed messaging, but from what I've read, it will.