Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy a CPO without Autopilot!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, stories are scary.

Not only stories, but a video of a fatality...

https://electrek.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/tesla-autopilot-china-accident.gif?w=806&h=414

AP1 is insanely safe.

Not really. I wouldn't have hit that truck. Now, I know you need to monitor it and take over, and Joshua Brown should have too, but still that's not "insanely safe" to me. And if it does that, I prefer to drive. I think with AP2.0 worked out, knowing it has so much more hardware and significantly faster processing, I will be able to relax more.

I'm sure some people get scared when planes crash, but it's not rational to worry.

It's not reasonable to get scared when planes crash? That's a pretty damn good reason to be scared to me! But I think you mean it's not reasonable to be scared to fly because some planes crash. That makes sense to me. I know that the probability is far greater that you will die in a vehicle crash driving to the airport, than in the flight you're taking. Still, I feel safer driving to the airport than flying. I never said my inability to relax using AP was rational but I think it's much more rational than my irrational driving to airport example.

Same thing if I was rock climbing for the first time and didn't "trust the equipment". But you get over it in time.

Speak for yourself... I'd never get used to rock climbing! :)

Last edited:
I think this is true, but I'd bet the majority of Tesla owners live near a major metropolitan area and spend a non-trivial amount of time commuting or road tripping on major US highways, which tend to be both flat and reasonably marked. For these people, Autopilot literally changes what it means to drive a car.
I live near Toronto, and spend a fair amount of time on expressways. Flat, well marked, etc.

My opinion of AP1 is......meh.....

I like TACC - but my previous cars' adaptive cruise control was similar. AP1 is ........boring. So I don't use it. The car is fantastic. AP1........ (?) Given the choice, I wouldn't order it again.

• Disagree
Reactions: DillyBop
just because you are driving with the AP on that doesn't mean that you are not driving the car because if you are driving the car as intended you are monitoring every action at every moment.

"...you are driving the car as kort677 wants you to and feels the need to point out to you - you are monitoring every action at every moment."

There, fixed it for ya.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
Screenshot_20170221-003422.png

disagreeble fellow, sense of humor lacking you are...

@carter_seattle - ignore the haters who feel the need to pile on your thread explaining why autopilot won't work for them / was is too much money. Enjoy the ride and yeah - don't buy a Tesla without Autopilot. 100 pct.
So, the OP launches a thread with his opinion and you call those of us who give reasons we disagree "haters."

Hyperbole, much?

• Funny
Reactions: calisnow
@carter_seattle - ignore the haters who feel the need to pile on your thread explaining why autopilot won't work for them / was is too much money. Enjoy the ride and yeah - don't buy a Tesla without Autopilot. 100 pct.

You're telling @carter_seattle to ignore me? We're having a respectful discussion back and forth about the pros and cons of AP from each of our personal perspectives. I sure hope you don't take his advice @carter_seattle. I'm enjoying our discussion and this thread you started and I hope you are too.

We can disagree on points without having to ignore each other. It would sure be boring around here if we only agreed with posts, and then ignored anyone who disagreed with us.

@Canuck I'm American. I'm also from L.A. I'm one of *those obnoxious L.A. people.* But after Trump I'm applying for citizenship in your neck of the woods. Keep criticizing me and I might move in next door to YOU and bring my brash personality with me to be your new loud, annoying American BFF. :Canuck has visions of his own personal Caddyshack nightmare:

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck
@Canuck I'm American. I'm also from L.A. I'm one of *those obnoxious L.A. people.* But after Trump I'm applying for citizenship in your neck of the woods. Keep criticizing me and I might move in next door to YOU and bring my brash personality with me to be your new loud, annoying American BFF. :Canuck has visions of his own personal Caddyshack nightmare:

Ha! But to be fair, you used the word "hater" (which seemed to be directed against me among others) and I just pushed back. As to you coming to Canada, once Canada's Trump is elected good luck getting over that wall that we're going to build and you're going to pay for! ;)

Not sure why all the 1.0 haters in here. I live in the Bay Area and use AP 1.0 every single day to and from work and in really heavy traffic. The quality of life improvement was practically worth the price of the car and certainly worth the upcharge to get AP for me.

I understand that YMMV and all that but if you are someone who drives highway traffic every day, I can't imagine not getting it. I'd pay for it again if I had to.

Just like how I see Teslas in stop and go traffic not using the carpool lanes because they didn't spend the $8 to get the HOV stickers or refuse to put them on their car. Don't get it.

The quality of life improvement was practically worth the price of the car

...just in case someone here has difficulty reading small fonts

It wasn't worth the extra $20K for me.

i would - for my use case - pay that much for AP 1.0. What price would you pay after a grueling 1 hour, 36 mile commute day after day, to still have energy to play with your kids and also go for a swing at the tennis court ? None of that was possible before my AP1 Tesla.

Reactions: EinSV
[QUOTE="i would - for my use case - pay that much for AP 1.0. What price would you pay after a grueling 1 hour, 36 mile commute day after day, to still have energy to play with your kids and also go for a swing at the tennis court ? None of that was possible before my AP1 Tesla.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You suffer through an hour of grueling traffic. No brainer for you. My commute is 20min easy drive. Given the choice, I'll stick with my commute and no autopilot. hahaha. But would like it for the occasional trips. But yes kids should be priority.

Reactions: neroden and Canuck
I live in the Bay Area and use AP 1.0 every single day to and from work and in really heavy traffic.

That's where it's a "must have" but not all of us live in California and drive your congested highways. My commute to work doesn't involve any highways. When I go on a highway to my cabin, it's not bumper to bumper, but wide open, and I really look forward to the drive.

As this "hater" said above:

I'm certain that if I lived in California or Seattle and had to commute daily in bumper to bumper traffic I would learn to trust it, since there's not a lot to go wrong in that scenario, but for my commute and drive to my cabin, and other driving, driving is my stress reliever.

Not sure why all the 1.0 haters in here.

No hate from me -- just a different perspective. Not everyone has to battle Seattle/SF/LA traffic daily. I spent one week driving around LA to various event recently and I might have wanted a revolver rather than AP if I had to do that daily.

...just in case someone here has difficulty reading small fonts

We can read the regular font. Making it bigger doesn't make it true for everyone. Maybe try CAPS next time. That usually works to make it true since a lot of people do that too.

But would like it for the occasional trips. But yes

Me too. But it wasn't available when I bought and upgrading just for it doesn't make sense to me. I can wait for my Model 3 and get 2.0 and keep my old classic S too. It's just not a "must have" for some of us. That's all.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden