Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you actually have any data that will support the assertion of FSD order == AP3 hardware?
If not, the above logic is pure day-dreaming.

You can pay for FSD now, but if no cars are rolling off the factory with AP3 hardware, you will have to be upgraded. For free or otherwise, you will be no better off than those who buy FSD later.

YMMV,
a

I only have what Elon Musk said months ago. I do have the FSD option (bought it with the car) so I fully expect a free HW3 upgrade.

In any case there is no rush to order FSD for now. It's best to sit back and verify that FSD order = HW3 hardware upgrade, and what the time frame of updates will be.

It certainly wouldn't do you any good if an FSD order meant a HW3 upgrade in 12 months. That would be pretty bad.

Exactly, that is why I am not going to buy FSD. It's not possible. Doesn't matter if I pay Tesla $3K or $2K, I am not actually getting FSD.

This is exactly why I hope Tesla keeps the $2K pricing for awhile for current owners.

The reason is there seems to be so many of you that think the FSD option won't give you anything over EAP.

Where you think FSD = impossible dream, and I agree with that.

The problem is the way I see it is FSD = HW3 upgrade.

What you don't realize is everything HW3 will bring, and you're probably questioning whether FSD will get you upgraded to HW3 for free. So what needs to happen is Tesla needs to clarify that in the next month or so, and we need to see how cars perform with HW3.

Once people actually see HW3 in action I'm betting they'll jump on the FSD option.

Reactions: Glamisduner
For all those who want to ignore OP's financial advice, the cost has been updated to $2k within EAP owners' Tesla accounts:

Screenshot_20190305-212343.png

Do not try and buy the FSD, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth...there is no FSD.
What are you talking about? According to Elon I already have FSD without even purchasing the option :p
“Sure. We have - we already have full self-driving capability on highway. So from highway on ramp to highway exit, including passing cars and going from one highway interchange to another, full self-driving capability is there.”

What you don't realize is everything HW3 will bring, and you're probably questioning whether FSD will get you upgraded to HW3 for free. So what needs to happen is Tesla needs to clarify that in the next month or so, and we need to see how cars perform with HW3.

Once people actually see HW3 in action I'm betting they'll jump on the FSD option.
Exactly how I see it. Right now I don't feel tempted in the slightest to throw more money at what is currently vaporware. But if we get a firm confirmation that FSD includes a hardware upgrade (and not just years down the road in the "long term" as Elon recently tweeted, but soon enough that I still have a few years to benefit from it while I own the car) and that it brings noticeable improvements of the existing functionality, then I'll probably bite.

Reactions: BAven8068
I only have what Elon Musk said months ago. I do have the FSD option (bought it with the car) so I fully expect a free HW3 upgrade.

In any case there is no rush to order FSD for now. It's best to sit back and verify that FSD order = HW3 hardware upgrade, and what the time frame of updates will be.

It certainly wouldn't do you any good if an FSD order meant a HW3 upgrade in 12 months. That would be pretty bad.
Elon also said my car would get track mode and it never happened.

Reactions: Perry
Not yet updated for my HW2 X (FSD still showing as a $3K upgrade).

Same for me, my M3 showed the price decrease but my older AP 2 MX does not.

I posted about this in another thread and I’m afraid this 3k FSD price could be related to older MCU 1 cars. Maybe in order to get HW3 on these cars they also have to have the MCU updated to the new one, hence the extra 1k.

I posted about this in another thread and I’m afraid this 3k FSD price could be related to older MCU 1 cars. Maybe in order to get HW3 on these cars they also have to have the MCU updated to the new one, hence the extra 1k.

Since none of the communication from Tesla indicates it (if it was MCU related price difference) I think it’s probably more of a pricing error. But who knows?

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve

Well I can tell you my Model S MCU 2 and Model X MCU 2.5 both still show $3k while my Model 3 shows $2k, so it might not relate to MCU cars, but does not mean that it is not true either.