Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mod note: amended title.

Sorry, @Glamisduner, but for people new to the thread it's worth knowing that disclaimer before they embark on the long read. Definitely not a dig at your decision.
Actually thank you, things change, so should the title. I cannot recommend people don't buy when we now know the price is going to increase. Of course it could change again and I don't like buying vaporware, but the FOMO got me again. The situation is much different from when I created the thread.

Man the FOMO (or more precisely, FOMD) is strong around here. I'm still thinking about it, figured I'll wait until the Y unveil to make a decision. Pretty sure the wifey will want to hard pass.

I feel that, at least right now, even with the Model 3, tesla attracts a certain type of buyer currently. One that likes technical gadgets, and likes to have updated (or bleeding edge) tech. Translation : FOMO is real and my opinion is the current "typical tesla buyer" is even more susceptible to it than normal.

Reactions: woodisgood
Just bought it for my hw2 model s but still trying to decide if it is worth it for the hw2.5 model 3. I think it is but wife is on the fence about spending the extra on a car that is 6 months old. Her question is: where does it end? Lower maintenance costs but am I going to be spending 2k every couple of years for hw upgrades?

For me if you look at the cost of the development, implementation, and installation of the computer, combined with the neural network and fps going from 200 to 2000 it is more than worth 2k even if fsd never happens. One Nvidia gpu is $800+.

Just bought it for my hw2 model s but still trying to decide if it is worth it for the hw2.5 model 3. I think it is but wife is on the fence about spending the extra on a car that is 6 months old. Her question is: where does it end? Lower maintenance costs but am I going to be spending 2k every couple of years for hw upgrades?

For me if you look at the cost of the development, implementation, and installation of the computer, combined with the neural network and fps going from 200 to 2000 it is more than worth 2k even if fsd never happens. One Nvidia gpu is $800+.
Well their own chip is more like asic processors, so probably much cheaper than the Nvidia chip. So it's almost like a downgrade except not really since it's a specialized chip that will never be used for anything else.

Is it burried somewhere in this thread exactly what I'm getting if I buy FSD? My understanding is that it's

1. Stop light and stop sign recognition
2. Auto driving in cities.

Is that all? Will it also stop nagging me to put my hand on the wheel every 30 seconds?

Tempted to get FSD for $2k now for all 3 of my Teslas, but was just thinking it took Tesla 6 months to deliver a spoiler for my Model 3 P, that should have been delivered with the car. I do not want to be contributing to the thread "HW3 Has Been Out For A Year - Where Is My Upgrade?" 2 years from now.....

Really on the fence on this now.

This is way off topic, but the service centers seem to have gotten spoilers in stock but are not great about following up quickly with all folks who have a due bill. So--at least in our area--it's been worthwhile to set up a service appointment in the app and note that you would like to have your spoiler installed. They'll then follow up with you based on whether they have them in stock or not.

Is it burried somewhere in this thread exactly what I'm getting if I buy FSD? My understanding is that it's

1. Stop light and stop sign recognition
2. Auto driving in cities.

Is that all? Will it also stop nagging me to put my hand on the wheel every 30 seconds?

That's a very complex question.

Because folks who bought FSD over most of the last 2+ years got a promise of essentially "buy this feature and eventually you just get in the car and it takes you to any destination with you not needed to do anything"

Folks buying it today are promised a lot less than that, and all of it with the explicit caveat it's all level 2 right now (driver supervision required- which is currently the nags) but that it'll get better later.

Reactions: matto
That's a very complex question.

Because folks who bought FSD over most of the last 2+ years got a promise of essentially "buy this feature and eventually you just get in the car and it takes you to any destination with you not needed to do anything"

Folks buying it today are promised a lot less than that, and all of it with the explicit caveat it's all level 2 right now (driver supervision required- which is currently the nags) but that it'll get better later.
I'm not sure I understand your statement based on what is being reported. You buy FSD to get all of the features except for AutoSteer and TACC. And if you have EAP already, you'll receive in-town support for stop signs, lights + HW3.

I am trying to figure out if I should buy it now for $2K. How is it worth more than $2K if it provides no benefit if FSD never ships. (just asking, I am on the fence about buying it.)

I am trying to figure out if I should buy it now for $2K. How is it worth more than $2K if it provides no benefit if FSD never ships. (just asking, I am on the fence about buying it.)
That’s the $2000 question, which is why you should evaluate your decision based on the level of risk you’re willing to accept. It is quite possible that the $2k will not reward you with that amount of value. It’s a gamble that owners have to be comfortable with.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand your statement based on what is being reported. You buy FSD to get all of the features except for AutoSteer and TACC. And if you have EAP already, you'll receive in-town support for stop signs, lights + HW3.

Here's what FSD got you if you bought it prior to the recent changes in description:

Tesla.com FSD option description said:
This system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver's seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle.
All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don't say anything, th ecar will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if you nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban steets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs, and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you.

People who buy it AFTER the recent change are only promised these features:

Tesla.com CURRENT FSD description said:
Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:

Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
Automatic driving on city streets.

Folks with EAP already have the first 2.5 items in the new FSD description (summon will be updated March 15th supposedly to make it 3 out of 3) but will not get any new/coming/added features beyond that at all- you'd need to upgrade to FSD for those.

And everyone who bought FSD at any time gets HW3 when it's ready.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen