Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In your account, click the “manage” button by your car. For the Model 3, then select “view details” under your car. The next screen will have the details and should show the FSD option (note that it took a few minutes for mine to show up)
For the Model S, I clicked on “manage” the same way but am not seeing where to look.. will report back.

Wow - you're right! My car already showed up as being enabled for FSD! I thought it would take the typical "Tesla forever", LOL

I normally don't use AP on local streets ... unless I'm exactly in this type of stop-and-go traffic. It works fine. You just turn it off or hit the brake if you end up being the first car at a red light.

I used to be a commited "tail end of the yellow light runner". Now, if I see a yellow light, and I'm not being followed too closely, I immediately hit the brakes ASAP.

Because, when it turns green it's fun taking off in a silent jiffy and leaving everyone else back at the light wondering what just happened!:D

Finally made my decision- I'm NOT getting the FSD for the "sale" price. And neither is hubby. We just planned a 2 week Caribbean vacation instead. That's real. I can look forward to a tangible end result.

Sadly, I'm still skeptical that FSD is not going to be any better than the EAP we already overpaid for..So it boiled down to choosing between a Fiesta or FSD.. the all-inclusive drink package wins! Cheers!

I bought a used car one time that had a bumper sticker on it that said "A fool and his money are soon partying".

I hope the Carribean hangover is worth it because I think FSD is moving full steam ahead!

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
I took delivery last year and can't decide whether to go for AP or FSD or neither as I don't need any of those features. I don't want to end up paying more later if I can get it cheaper now. I have this gut feeling that down the line a game-changing feature will drop that will make me go I NEED THAT. Then at that point I'll be annoyed with myself for not just buying FSD earlier lol

FOMO is real.

I use mine on city streets all the time. As long as I don’t have to turn onto another road and I’m not the first car at a stop light it’s nice. I’m on one road with no turns to other roads, 1 stop sign and about 25 lights for 25 min every morning uninterrupted.

Nice, seem like we have a relatively similar commute through the city.

I normally don't use AP on local streets ... unless I'm exactly in this type of stop-and-go traffic. It works fine. You just turn it off or hit the brake if you end up being the first car at a red light. I also use it while waiting for my turn at those metered on-ramps. It really has made my commute much more bearable. I think $2k is a fair price.

Man it's very tempting.

I used to be a commited "tail end of the yellow light runner". Now, if I see a yellow light, and I'm not being followed too closely, I immediately hit the brakes ASAP.

Because, when it turns green it's fun taking off in a silent jiffy and leaving everyone else back at the light wondering what just happened!:D

^^Sounds like something I'd do and basically speed off to find the next car to follow

FOMO is real.

I say FOPM rather :D

Elon re-stated last week that new FSD purchases include the upgrade to HW3. Elon Musk on Twitter

It's still a risk, but he has stated it enough times that it is a risk I am willing to take with my new M3P purchase.

NOTE; I can’t confirm on this tweet link above, that the word “Correct” is actually from Elon and apart of that tweet thread. When I go to Elon’s Twitter page I can find this thread, but I cannot find where he ever responded as shown with this link.

Am I missing something?

NOTE; I can’t confirm on this tweet link above, that the word “Correct” is actually from Elon and apart of that tweet thread. When I go to Elon’s Twitter page I can find this thread, but I cannot find where he ever responded as shown with this link.

Am I missing something?
3EADE670-34ED-4691-88E5-92E7C5ED735B.png

I am truly shocked that this debate about whether HW3 is included in the purchase of FSD or not. Does anyone research or read anymore or have we just decided to take snippets out of context and argue based on gut instinct and innuendo? Literally eleven posts above this there is a link to the transcript of Tesla's Q3 Earnings Call (which I actually listened to last year in real time). For those of you who do not want to take the time to read the whole thing, please just read the following excerpts (which I have also taken the liberty of bolding certain relevant statements):

Peter Bannon -- Director of Hardware Engineering

Hi, this is Pete Bannon. The hardware 3 design is continuing to move along. Over the last quarter, we've completed qualification of the silicon, qualification of the board. We started manufacturing line and qualification of the manufacturing line. We've been validating the provisioning close in the factory. We built test versions of Model S/X and 3 in the factory to validate all the finish of the parts and all the processing flows. So, we saw a lot of work to do and the team is doing a great job and we're still on track to have it ready to go by the end of Q1.

Elon R. Musk -- Co-Founder, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer & Product Architect

Great. And that will be roughly a 1000% increase in processing capability compared to the current hardware and so sounds good, a giant of crew despite being a bump, it costs about the same costs volume and car consumption are approximately the same as the current hardware, but it is a tenfold increment in frames per second and improved redundancy as well. But very importantly, very important to emphasize is that, the only thing that needs to change between the cars used today and cars produced in the second quarter of next year is swapping up the autopilot computer. And this is a simple change that takes less than half an hour and service to upgrade the computer. And one will be able to upgrade their computer to full-self driving capability or upgrade their car to full-self driving capability with a simple service visit. So, we expect all cars with the hardware to sensor suite, basically anything made in the last roughly two years will be upgradeable to full-self driving.

Yeah, in fact a lot of the cars we're using for testing today have in fact an upgraded hardware too.

Elon R. Musk -- Co-Founder, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer & Product Architect

Right. So, it's very important to emphasize that people shouldn't (inaudible) if you want to wait until that comes out, but there's no need to wait till it comes out because it's just a very simple plug-and-play change to get the full-self driving. And anyone who is patron for self-driving option, we'll just get it done for free. And anyone who saw once to order full-self driving at this point, it's just an off menu item, you can still order it. But we took it off the order menu just because it was really creating a lot of friction in the sales process, and people didn't understand the difference between enhanced autopilot and full-self driving. So, just to simplify the order process we switched that off and anyone who asks for it can certainly get it and it really ends up being a discount on future capability. But to be clear, there's definitely no need to wait until Q2 to order a car. We want to make just completely seamless process. So, there's no advantage ordering now versus Q2. Andrej, do you want to --

Folks, the above is NOT a Tweet. It is NOT the speculation of someone posting here in a Forum. It is a SPECIFIC RECOMMENDATION by the CEO of a Public Company that if you want FSD, you should not worry about waiting to buy a car until HW3 is included in the original build because you will get HW3 FOR FREE in a 30-minute Service visit.

My strong suggestion? Print out a copy of the entire Earnings Call Transcript in PDF form and file it somewhere safely. You have a contractual obligation from the CEO of Tesla (backed up by the SEC) for free HW3 if you purchase FSD. Plain and simple. Or, they will either have a class action lawsuit or SEC Enforcement Action against them that would be far more expensive than just making good on free HW3.

"I bought my car specifically because Tesla's CEO stated in a public forum, as a Public Company that I should not worry about waiting to purchase my car because I would get the HW3 upgrade FOR FREE if I purchased FSD, otherwise I would have waited to buy a car with the new hardware already installed."

That is very, very strong legal footing. Period. Stop wasting your time, hit the bid before the price goes up tomorrow and go do something more fun -- like drive your M3...

Last edited:
My strong suggestion? Print out a copy of the entire Earnings Call Transcript in PDF form and file it somewhere safely. You have a contractual obligation from the CEO of Tesla (backed up by the SEC) for free HW3 if you purchase FSD. Plain and simple. Or, they will either have a class action lawsuit or SEC Enforcement Action against them that would be far more expensive than just making good on free HW3.

"I bought my car specifically because Tesla's CEO stated in a public forum, as a Public Company that I should not worry about waiting to purchase my car because I would get the HW3 upgrade FOR FREE if I purchased FSD, otherwise I would have waited to buy a car with the new hardware already installed."

That is very, very strong legal footing. Period. Stop wasting your time, hit the bid before the price goes up tomorrow and go do something more fun -- like drive your M3...

Why they would probably have a class action law suit on their hands if they failed to go through with this what you're missing, and what most people are missing is there is NO definition of what FSD is. So, there is absolutely nothing stopping Tesla coming out tomorrow and saying FSD is here, everyone has the hardware, FSD ends with nav on autopilot and feature x (which doesn't work well). By the way we're introducing Real-FSD tomorrow that requires this new hardware and is available for a $5k upgrade to existing Tesla owners.

I love Tesla, I love my car but this whole FSD is some shady *sugar*. There is no way in hell Tesla will service every "FSD enabled car" and swap out an expensive computer. It's my opinion that they'll just roll out some FSD options (like summon that we have but sucks) and introduce new options down the line.

I am truly shocked that this debate about whether HW3 is included in the purchase of FSD or not. Does anyone research or read anymore or have we just decided to take snippets out of context and argue based on gut instinct and innuendo? Literally eleven posts above this there is a link to the transcript of Tesla's Q3 Earnings Call (which I actually listened to last year in real time). For those of you who do not want to take the time to read the whole thing, please just read the following excerpts (which I have also taken the liberty of bolding certain relevant statements):

Hi, this is Pete Bannon. The hardware 3 design is continuing to move along. Over the last quarter, we've completed qualification of the silicon, qualification of the board. We started manufacturing line and qualification of the manufacturing line. We've been validating the provisioning close in the factory. We built test versions of Model S/X and 3 in the factory to validate all the finish of the parts and all the processing flows. So, we saw a lot of work to do and the team is doing a great job and we're still on track to have it ready to go by the end of Q1.

Great. And that will be roughly a 1000% increase in processing capability compared to the current hardware and so sounds good, a giant of crew despite being a bump, it costs about the same costs volume and car consumption are approximately the same as the current hardware, but it is a tenfold increment in frames per second and improved redundancy as well. But very importantly, very important to emphasize is that, the only thing that needs to change between the cars used today and cars produced in the second quarter of next year is swapping up the autopilot computer. And this is a simple change that takes less than half an hour and service to upgrade the computer. And one will be able to upgrade their computer to full-self driving capability or upgrade their car to full-self driving capability with a simple service visit. So, we expect all cars with the hardware to sensor suite, basically anything made in the last roughly two years will be upgradeable to full-self driving.

Yeah, in fact a lot of the cars we're using for testing today have in fact an upgraded hardware too.

Right. So, it's very important to emphasize that people shouldn't (inaudible) if you want to wait until that comes out, but there's no need to wait till it comes out because it's just a very simple plug-and-play change to get the full-self driving. And anyone who is patron for self-driving option, we'll just get it done for free. And anyone who saw once to order full-self driving at this point, it's just an off menu item, you can still order it. But we took it off the order menu just because it was really creating a lot of friction in the sales process, and people didn't understand the difference between enhanced autopilot and full-self driving. So, just to simplify the order process we switched that off and anyone who asks for it can certainly get it and it really ends up being a discount on future capability. But to be clear, there's definitely no need to wait until Q2 to order a car. We want to make just completely seamless process. So, there's no advantage ordering now versus Q2. Andrej, do you want to --

Folks, the above is NOT a Tweet. It is NOT the speculation of someone posting here in a Forum. It is a SPECIFIC RECOMMENDATION by the CEO of a Public Company that if you want FSD, you should not worry about waiting to buy a car until HW3 is included in the original build because you will get HW3 FOR FREE in a 30-minute Service visit.

Thanks! That clears up a lot! I listened to that call, but the audio was garbled and I missed some of the main points.

I am now 90% sure we will get hw3.0. Thats as sure as you can be about anything in life.

The final hesitation is that I don’t believe the current sensors will allow for full autonomy. I think we are buying partial autonomy with driver supervision on well painted roads in good weather. That is all our cars may ever do without more hardware swaps.

So, is partial autonomy worth $3,255 on my credit card today?

Decisions.

Why they would probably have a class action law suit on their hands if they failed to go through with this what you're missing, and what most people are missing is there is NO definition of what FSD is. So, there is absolutely nothing stopping Tesla coming out tomorrow and saying FSD is here, everyone has the hardware, FSD ends with nav on autopilot and feature x (which doesn't work well). By the way we're introducing Real-FSD tomorrow that requires this new hardware and is available for a $5k upgrade to existing Tesla owners.

I love Tesla, I love my car but this whole FSD is some shady *sugar*. There is no way in hell Tesla will service every "FSD enabled car" and swap out an expensive computer. It's my opinion that they'll just roll out some FSD options (like summon that we have but sucks) and introduce new options down the line.
There is a chance of bate and switch or another upgrade tier for full autonomy, especially if they have to replace or add on sensors, which is likely. But, taking a risk now may pay off later.

To operate in bad weather or poorly marked roads probably won’t work with what we have. You really have to keep your expectations low and ask if city street nav and light recognition is worth $2k-$3k. Someone testing it told me it works pretty well but makes mistakes. I don’t know if the first version runs on 2.5 or if they have prerelease 3.0 hardware.

I'm betting I'll want a new car before FSD is even close to be usable(5-7 years), thus, purchasing it even at $2k seems like a waste. Everyone has different needs, I for one have no trust that the car will stop for lights or signs 100% of the time and if it's not 100%, I won't use it. After testing NAV and summon it's clear the current hardware (sensors not computer) are not suitable for "FSD" and there is 0.1% chance Tesla will swap those so it's clear [to me] this doesn't seem worth it [for me].

Reactions: Big Dog
I mentioned this on another thread but it's related to here as well, my understanding it is all new cars at some point soon will have HW3 included. How could customers buying FSD not get the same hardware? I just can't see how that is a possibility. I did buy the EAP -> FSD upgrade and happy to have had the right timing that my tax refund covering this exactly, its a sign! ha

Nowhere in this call does he commit to retrofitting specific customers. You wouldn't have a leg to stand on in a law suit. And BTW, this disclaimer was read at the beginning of the most recent earnings call:

"During this call, we will discuss our business outlook and make forward-looking statements. These comments are based on our predictions and expectations as of today. Actual events or results could differ materially due to a number of risks and uncertainties, including those mentioned in our most recent filings with the SEC."

• Disagree
Reactions: schnieds
Nowhere in this call does he commit to retrofitting specific customers. You wouldn't have a leg to stand on in a law suit.

MEANWHILE, BACK IN REALITY-

Elon Musk on the very call you are talking about said:
And anyone who paid for self-driving option, will just get it done for free.

I mentioned this on another thread but it's related to here as well, my understanding it is all new cars at some point soon will have HW3 included. How could customers buying FSD not get the same hardware? I just can't see how that is a possibility.

It's not a possibility. It's just a few nutball conspiracy theories counter to literally every bit of factual evidence available, or reading said theories into any even remotely vague reply they get from a low-level employee who clearly is making stuff up as he goes.

You'll find a few of those people in every community. (see also flat earthers, anti-vaxxers, etc)

Last edited: