Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will Hardware 3.0 improve the performance of cars without FSD? The current hardware seems to be sufficient for EAP. It might be worth it to pay $2000 for FSD now if you can upgrade to Hardware 3.0 for free later. But if FSD never comes to fruition and Hardware 3.0 provides no benefit over our current Hardware 2.5, then that $2000 is wasted.

That's why I'm not getting FSD and going to hold off. I'm more concerned about parts being available as they don't have a good track record. Considering once hw3 is available any new production cars will get them first, model s/x/3 and then once model y is available it's going to go there too. Since they plan on producing 500k cars a year that is a lot of hw3 units they need to supply in parallel. But who knows, I'm personally not going for it until something concrete happens with FSD. By then maybe I'll trade it in for a Model Y.

I'm still debating if I need to buy FSD. I currently have EAP, don't need FSD but I'm concerned that HW 3.0 will bring new features to the Model 3 and make EAP significantly better...

Well I ended up buying FSD for $1000. I had a $1000 credit with Tesla for service (because of a faulty front drive unit at delivery) which they let me use toward FSD. Now let's hope this was money well spent... :p

• Informative
Reactions: untilcomplete
So this is the final answer from tesla engineering. I just bought it for 3k

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla.

Per your escalation and a request to purchase FSD at the discounted price of $2000 we received a reply from your engineering team stating that you are not the original purchaser of the EAP on this vehicle. You bought this with the EAP already in tact from a private owner. Thus Tesla can't honor the discounted pricing for you. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Tesla Team
KJSjkd5aq9FK8e8E6ITKnz5WS9RZ_mfNixC-l_kUrSE4XEUsOjedS7gnepybTPSf6kdTNLtPIJj_CsvdcI2_2KQfetgmXnSZuVhfeNY7Fs3KKo1mIyr06wfua-iWmT6ncjuI56lDlyPaVr27aNfOmIvSMyjQ3Q=s0-d-e1-ft

I do seem to remember that people who bought their Model S and paid for the 4-year maintenance could upgrade it for another 4 years before it expired, but a second owner couldn't take advantage of that extended period if it hadn't already been paid for on the car.

Nice straw man... Tesla shouldn't be expected to communicate well because there are companies who communicate well but build bad products.

I was saying I don't value "communication" in a manufacturer very much, their products communicate to me better than any PR person could. I value good products. And too often communication skills are used to smooth over deficiencies in poorly concieved products.

Those are your words that Tesla shouldn't be expected to communicate well, which is the definition of a straw man argument. Way to go.

I was saying I don't value "communication" in a manufacturer very much, their products communicate to me better than any PR person could. I value good products. And too often communication skills are used to smooth over deficiencies in poorly concieved products.

Those are your words that Tesla shouldn't be expected to communicate well, which is the definition of a straw man argument. Way to go.

A straw man is knocking down a point/charge that no one was making in order to distract and appear to win a point. I want better communication from Tesla. You respond saying you prefer high quality products, not great communication to gloss over crap products. You’re responding to the argument “Tesla should focus more on communication than engineering.” But that’s not an argument I’m making. Thus, you’re only knocking down a straw man.

I love this much. There are so many people defending their decision to purchase a very expensive future software update that nobody knows what will be in it or when it will come. All we have is a few tweets from Elon who has been known to be very optimistic about what can be done with the current tech and we know his timeframes are always wrong.

Humans are irrational by nature, it's just interesting be the other side looking in this time. :)

I love this much. There are so many people defending their decision to purchase a very expensive future software update that nobody knows what will be in it or when it will come. All we have is a few tweets from Elon who has been known to be very optimistic about what can be done with the current tech and we know his timeframes are always wrong.

Humans are irrational by nature, it's just interesting be the other side looking in this time. :)
There is currently a defined feature set and timeline for those features.
Similar to the Y that people are plunking down $2,500 for (albeit refundable).

People also save for retirement even though some won't live that long, or be healthy enough to enjoy it...

People also buy expensive dinners, and vacations that leave no benefit long after consumption than memories, all neurotransmitters...

People also buy new cars instead of letting soneone else pay the initial depreciation...

Kickstarter...

A few $k for a feature that they would like from a company they want to support, that t hgh ey would buy in the future (when it cost more) is par for the course...

I didn’t buy. I can’t justify giving Tesla any more money and I honestly regret buying EAP. I never use it. I’d probably buy AP if I could do it all over again. Given the pricing games, the tax credit push and immediate absorption, I’m not as big on Tesla as I was. I worry one day we will watch a documentary not dissimilar from Fyre Fraud where Tesla under Musk was just a big Ponzi scheme.

Anyways, I expected to see the price higher today, but it’s still $2k. Maybe the price goes up at the end of Monday, but I expected it to end on Midnight on Sunday/Monday. The inability for them to control/document sales outside of Twitter is another reason I just don’t feel comfortable plunking down coin for future stuff. I have no doubts there will be future “sales”.

Anyways, I expected to see the price higher today, but it’s still $2k. Maybe the price goes up at the end of Monday, but I expected it to end on Midnight on Sunday/Monday.

Elon Musk on Twitter... a couple of days ago... said:
Reminder to buy our S3XY cars before midnight on Monday! Prices rise slightly worldwide on Tuesday.

worry one day we will watch a documentary not dissimilar from Fyre Fraud where Tesla under Musk was just a big Ponzi scheme.
Ponzi scheme :
a form of fraud in which belief in the success of a nonexistent enterprise is fostered by the payment of quick returns to the first investors from money invested by later investors.

What returns does Tesla give? Cars, and a few AP features. There is no monetary shifting from new buyers to previous buyers...

Took the plunge, added the FSD to the AP on LR3 , I ordered it from the cars web browser. Strange thing happened upon completion of the transaction the Cars touch screen went completely blank and took a while to reboot, like over 30 seconds had a black screen. I am a bit concerned. The FSD is now listed on my cars option and my CC got dinged for the purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC