Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't call us, we'll call you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a lot of customers that are waiting on their deliveries talking about communicating with their presumably assigned Service Agents (SAs). As a "waiting" Model Y customer, when is this contact supposed to happen? I ordered in late August and have an EDD of 12/22-12/31, and have never been contacted by an SA. Is this something I am supposed to initiate or is there a point when I should expect someone to reach out?

This was my experience. The service center didn’t care about me until the car was on their lot, then they wanted it gone. I didn’t get any contact until about a week before my delivery date, and that was forced by me. I was able to get the name of my SA through chat, maybe that can work for you?

I found calling the actual service center a waste because it was just a service center and not people at the actual store. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
This was my experience. The service center didn’t care about me until the car was on their lot, then they wanted it gone. I didn’t get any contact until about a week before my delivery date, and that was forced by me. I was able to get the name of my SA through chat, maybe that can work for you?

I found calling the actual service center a waste because it was just a service center and not people at the actual store. YMMV.
Thanks...I suspect it's the same here, but idk. As a follow-up to my initial post: Is there a reason to contact an SA before receiving a VIN and/or a delivery date is imminent? What can/do they do for you prior to those events? Do they have access to your actual order and will they provide information about it? Just curious at this point, as I assume I won't have anything to discuss with them until closer to my EDD.

I see a lot of customers that are waiting on their deliveries talking about communicating with their presumably assigned Service Agents (SAs).
This isn't actually a standard thing. I never talked to a human being at all until the day before delivery when they called to confirm the time. You can always call your local service center if you have questions, but in practice there's nothing they know that you don't.

I ordered on 10/16 and never heard from a SA. Delivery is set for 12/6. They've made it such that it's not really necessary to have a dedicated SA. Just about everything you need you can call the toll free number to speak to someone or self-serve. What is it that you need a SA for?

I ordered on 10/16 and never heard from a SA. Delivery is set for 12/6. They've made it such that it's not really necessary to have a dedicated SA. Just about everything you need you can call the toll free number to speak to someone or self-serve. What is it that you need a SA for?
I had asked a chat agent about whether or not mud flaps are now standard (I'm building my wish list) and he mentioned that an SA should have been in contact with me by now. #shrug

Thanks...I suspect it's the same here, but idk. As a follow-up to my initial post: Is there a reason to contact an SA before receiving a VIN and/or a delivery date is imminent? What can/do they do for you prior to those events? Do they have access to your actual order and will they provide information about it? Just curious at this point, as I assume I won't have anything to discuss with them until closer to my EDD.
There’s no reason that I can think of. There’s conflicting reports on whether they have any more info than you do from your account. I tried reaching out because I had to figure out my trade and 3rd party financing. All it did was frustrate me. Lol

I had asked a chat agent about whether or not mud flaps are now standard (I'm building my wish list) and he mentioned that an SA should have been in contact with me by now. #shrug
From the anecdotal evidence I've collected, Tesla is generally putting PPF and/or mudflaps on vehicles in cold weather climates. I also wouldn't trust a SA to provide accurate information on this. It's not a hard 'yes' or 'no'. In other words, it's not like asking "Do all Model Ys come equipped with Autopilot?"

I wouldn't stress about it. Just wait for your car to come in and see for yourself.

I see a lot of customers that are waiting on their deliveries talking about communicating with their presumably assigned Service Agents (SAs). As a "waiting" Model Y customer, when is this contact supposed to happen? I ordered in late August and have an EDD of 12/22-12/31, and have never been contacted by an SA. Is this something I am supposed to initiate or is there a point when I should expect someone to reach out?
Speaking with a Service Avisor is totally unnecessary unless you have a change to your order or financing.
They will contact you when you are assigned a VIN.

Tesla wants your money as much as you want your car.
😎

Last edited:
Reactions: nogabi1
Staying radio silent until the car is really ready for delivery scheduling probably saves Tesla over a million phone calls a year.

People want to get accurate information as to every little detail of their pending pick up, but SA's usually do not have precise answers because there are so many variables.

People want tons of hand holding, but this will rarely get them their car any earlier.

Kind of like Dad getting upset when the kids keep asking..."are we there yet". Answer is usually a grumpy "soon".

Staying radio silent until the car is really ready for delivery scheduling probably saves Tesla over a million phone calls a year.

People want to get accurate information as to every little detail of their pending pick up, but SA's usually do not have precise answers because there are so many variables.

People want tons of hand holding, but this will rarely get them their car any earlier.

Kind of like Dad getting upset when the kids keep asking..."are we there yet". Answer is usually a grumpy "soon".
I get that and I completely agree with you. It's widely understood (and accepted) that delivery dates are fluid and can't really be nailed down, and that's not what I contacted the chat agent about. What would be helpful is a list of the features that the car that you've ordered will or is expected to have. There are a few things in the OM that state "depending on manufacture date" as to whether or not your car will come equipped with that particular feature or not, like a heated steering wheel or a USB-A port in the glovebox. I guess I'm just used to having a list of things that my car has installed (trim level?) from like a window sticker or something. There's more to a build than just color, number of seats, size of wheels, etc, that would be nice to know about before delivery date. I mean, even the model year of the car that I'll be getting is in question. It's just not something I'm used to.

When I ordered, I actually had a SA assigned. This may have been due to the fact that due to COVID, I was not able to see a car physically and an SA in Arizona (I'm in Texas) did a virtual tour. We even texted a few times and also chatted over email when a week later, I cancelled my M3 for a MY and he set up the referral code that I got from my brother.

But after a week or so of ordering, it was radio silence. Then a few weeks ago, BAM, got a VIN and tons of communication and of course, will picking up my MY Wednesday :).