Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't cancel your M3 just yet....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have long said on this forum I really like Tesla cars. They are unlike anything else in the marketplace right now. I have also said Tesla as a company will go bankrupt by the end of the year. (I wont go into the boring details of reading a financial report). However where there is smoke there is fire and the smoke right now is one of the big 3 might buy Tesla. Or even a wildcard like Apple. But if Ford or GM buy the company and fix the production delays with their car building expertise and vast supplier network, everything changes. Suddenly production schedules will be met and parts will be available which means happy customers. I hope for the sake of Tesla as a brand Ford or GM buys them....

If anyone buys Tesla it would not survive. A lot of the reason Tesla has been able to survive is bc of there stock and people like myself who have bought as much as they/I can bc I believe soley in Elon Musk. If EM ever left as CEO I would sell immediately and suspect many others would do the same!

If any of the big 3 or any other automotive manufacturer for that matter, bought Tesla they would not survive IMHO. Tesla is special bc they don’t operate like any other auto manufacturer we have ever seen and that’s what makes me and I’m sure others excited about the brand and vision.

I pray not.

If Ford or any of the bigs buys Tesla, I’ll sell all my Tesla and Tesla stocks. No way I’m going to another stealership to buy a car. Never again.

Would rather walk and my commute is long.

Nightmare scenario.
I understand and everyone has strong feelings about this scenario. I am surprised at your comments about never going in a stealership. I have purchased many new cars over the years and never had any problems at a dealership. With the advent of the internet and readily available information on dealer invoice and holdback I always felt my transactions were fair.

I understand and everyone has strong feelings about this scenario. I am surprised at your comments about never going in a stealership. I have purchased many new cars over the years and never had any problems at a dealership. With the advent of the internet and readily available information on dealer invoice and holdback I always felt my transactions were fair.
I'm still bitter at my experience of buying my current car at a stealership. I bought it years ago. There's a reason why car salesmen are one of the least trusted professions.

I've had both very good and very bad experiences buying from the internet sales department of a dealership. Nonetheless, I see no reason to be forced to indirectly pay a middleman to buy a car.

As for whether Tesla survives as an independent company or not depends on whether they successfully ramp-up Model 3 production. If they do not, then the best case scenario would be for a tech giant such as Google to purchase them. I highly doubt the major traditional automakers would have the motivation or talent to continue Tesla's dedication to EV innovation. It would probably be more financially beneficial to them to relegate Tesla's engineering team to making compliance vehicles, in order to relieve the pressure to increase the efficiency of their core, highly profitable ICE products.

I wonder if EM regrets saying 35k instead of 39k or 44k, wonder how much of a better financial situation TSLA would have been in.
How about $20K ?!

Gigaom | Elon Musk Envisions Tesla Electric Car as Low as $20K
...Musk said that Tesla has the ability to accelerate the auto industry’s progress toward the adoption of electric vehicles by 5 to 10 years. Lighting even that small fire could be very important if you consider what a decade of delay can do for climate change, he said.
Tesla’s efforts to spur the auto giants will include a third-generation, low-cost electric vehicle that could possibly be priced as low as $20,000, (he mentioned $30,000 as an option, too) a price point that is “super affordable,” he explained to us in a phone interview...

Reactions: dhrivnak
I have also said Tesla as a company will go bankrupt by the end of the year. (I wont go into the boring details of reading a financial report).

Another "bankrupt by the end of year" thread by you again? Nice try at starting a new one but you're already 1/4 into the year from the start of your last thread... so you only have 8 months left and I'm counting... your time is running out:

Having Tesla bankrupt in a year is a near impossible task even with the worst bottlenecks in production imaginable. Anyone who says anything to the contrary just needs to take a look at Sirius and its flirtation with bankruptcy and how hard that is to do when so much has been built up, since creditors will work out deals, and people will come in and buy it out and take over. No one will throw this baby down the drain within a year. Of course, Tesla is not past potential difficult times, and even possible buyouts, restructuring, etc. But bankruptcy in a year is utter nonsense that insults the intelligence of anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of how big business and bankruptcy work.

My prediction on Model 3/Tesla

Even Professor Altman, who developed the widely accepted test for this prediction based on financial statements requires a minimum two year period when the result predicts bankruptcy -- because bankruptcy within a year is difficult given the process and statutory time limits. But we know financial statements and statutory time limits are well beyond your comprehension. And to make it even worse, when called out, your concern suddenly turns to my "misguided soul" -- which means gibberish. Please just throw in the towel instead of using religious imagery that only makes you look foolish. It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. Something tells me we'll never hear that from you, though, even in one year's time.

Man I sound grouchy in that last one.

Last edited:
First among many problems with this idea is that none of the Big 3 can afford to buy TSLA. As of Friday's close, the market capitalization of Tesla was roughly 52 billion, compared with Ford and Fiat Chrysler in the low 40s and GM at 59. None of these three is remotely capable of raising the money necessary to acquire TSLA. On the other hand, Apple could acquire them with cash and barely notice the hit.

IMO a) Tesla is already too big to fail, b) Model 3 will succeed because obviously and c) were they bought out, always a possibility in the world in general for any company, I'd find someone like Apple or Google more likely than a GM, which means the same innovation would probably continue. (Even Elon might like to sell at some point, his big dream is probably SpaceX, were that to seem like a better outcome for financing Mars.)

This is the least of my worries in owning a Tesla.

Another "bankrupt by the end of year" thread by you again? Nice try at starting a new one but you're already 1/4 into the year from the start of your last thread... so you only have 8 months left and I'm counting... your time is running out:

Having Tesla bankrupt in a year is a near impossible task even with the worst bottlenecks in production imaginable. Anyone who says anything to the contrary just needs to take a look at Sirius and its flirtation with bankruptcy and how hard that is to do when so much has been built up, since creditors will work out deals, and people will come in and buy it out and take over. No one will throw this baby down the drain within a year. Of course, Tesla is not past potential difficult times, and even possible buyouts, restructuring, etc. But bankruptcy in a year is utter nonsense that insults the intelligence of anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of how big business and bankruptcy work.

Even Professor Altman, who developed the widely accepted test for this prediction based on financial statements requires a minimum two year period when the result predicts bankruptcy -- because bankruptcy within a year is difficult given the process and statutory time limits. But we know financial statements and statutory time limits are well beyond your comprehension. And to make it even worse, when called out, your concern suddenly turns to my "misguided soul" -- which means gibberish. Please just throw in the towel instead of using religious imagery that only makes you look foolish. It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. Something tells me we'll never hear that from you, though, even in one year's time.

Man I sound grouchy in that last one.
Are you really Professor Altman?

I have long said on this forum I really like Tesla cars. They are unlike anything else in the marketplace right now. I have also said Tesla as a company will go bankrupt by the end of the year. (I wont go into the boring details of reading a financial report). However where there is smoke there is fire and the smoke right now is one of the big 3 might buy Tesla. Or even a wildcard like Apple. But if Ford or GM buy the company and fix the production delays with their car building expertise and vast supplier network, everything changes. Suddenly production schedules will be met and parts will be available which means happy customers. I hope for the sake of Tesla as a brand Ford or GM buys them....
Tesla makes a very attractive product. If the bond market closes to them and they are unable to raise more money, This would likely look attractive to GM or Ford after BK...

Last edited by a moderator:
Your post makes no sense.

They haven’t sold any 39k cars nor 44k cars to date. The least expensive 3 you can get is 49k and still Tesla can’t make them fast enough.

May be drink some coffee to wake up. Had EM announced M3 to be 44k back in 2016 they could have sold SR mile version with 50 kWh battery without PUP for 44k. Their margins would have been much higher, and wouldn't have to come up with 75kWh and PUP packages to increase the margins.

This post makes no sense. Tesla stock is so future-priced there is no way GM or Ford would acquire them, far too risky. Not to mention Ford and GM probably do not want to get into the solar panel business. Also, a huge part of Tesla's positive public appeal is Musk himself, and he would not be a willing participant in a hostile takeover scenario. He still has strong cachet with capital markets, there is no reason such an event would be sought out from the Tesla side.