Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't disconect my autopilot!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla was always playing a very dangerous game by not quickly releasing statements about all those YouTube videos showing people driving without looking straight ahead. Elon's wife even posted one. Their lack of communications gave people implicit permission to drive like that. Yes, their manual stated otherwise, but common practice would be to disregard that as just the lawyers being over cautious.

So, now someone has died that likely would otherwise be alive had he being paying attention, and NOW Tesla sees fit to post a blog post about the proper way to use Autopilot (which they haven't posted yet, just promised). If all Tesla gets out of this is bad press, I'll be amazed.

They are now very much in danger of huge liability lawsuits (their manual won't protect them at all, after all they had to release a blog post, too late), and the very likely possibility of regulators shutting down Autopilot. If not in the US, then most probably in Europe.

All this was avoidable but they wanted the awesome publicity of self driving cars without having to put a damper on it with very public disclaimers.

Yeah, I don't want AP shut down either, but if it does get shut down, it is completely Tesla's fault.

I drive a lot on a daily basis. Everyday, without exception, I see someone run out of their lane or off to the shoulder because they are using their phone or texting. If Autopilot is used as it is intended, it makes driving safer end of story. If anyone wants to make an argument about the name "Autopilot" or any other excuse for bad inattentive drivers that is a childish argument.

On my daily commute, prior to getting a Tesla, twice last year I almost killed myself I fell asleep on the wheel going home and in both occasions I was headed straight to a pole. I had to have my SO talk to me all the way home (45min) to keep me awake almost daily.
Driving a Tesla with AP, not only does it maintain the lane, it beeps me when I am not attentive and it slows down the car if I am really not attentive. Since getting my Tesla, I haven't needed my SO on the phone to keep me awake. Plus now I drive within the speed limits or 5 over. So, Consumer Reports, NHTSA or any regulatory body, please don't take AP away or disable it because some people abused the privilege. It's a life saver for many like me.

On my daily commute, prior to getting a Tesla, twice last year I almost killed myself I fell asleep on the wheel going home and in both occasions I was headed straight to a pole. I had to have my SO talk to me all the way home (45min) to keep me awake almost daily.
Driving a Tesla with AP, not only does it maintain the lane, it beeps me when I am not attentive and it slows down the car if I am really not attentive. Since getting my Tesla, I haven't needed my SO on the phone to keep me awake. Plus now I drive within the speed limits or 5 over. So, Consumer Reports, NHTSA or any regulatory body, please don't take AP away or disable it because some people abused the privilege. It's a life saver for many like me.

I agree with this concept completely. I have seasonal homes and after picking up my X in FL, five days later I was on the road to NY for my 1400 trip. Previously, I had been worried that I might be lulled to inattentiveness by AP. Quite the contrary. EVERYONE who wants to state an opinion needs to be forced to take a LONG trip with AND without AP. With AP, my fatigue factor was REDUCED and I was a SAFER driver. This is NOT some wished-for conclusion; this is actually the opposite of what I presupposed.

People just don't get it. AP is kind of like when I stood deck watches in the Navy. I had a helmsmen keep track of steering, just like with autopilot. I had other stuff to look out for like ships, fishing buoys and navigation aids. If the deck officer was also required to fully maintain a helm, there would be more collisions at sea.

I am just so sick of people not getting the big picture and sensationalizing things. A week ago, there was a boating accident about 50 miles from me where a little girl lost her arm and leg after a tubing accident in which the boat that was TOWING HER TUBE RAN HER OVER (along with her father). Yes, it's an absolute tragedy...so we should ban something, right? Stop selling tubes, or boats, or tow ropes, or gasoline. Put biometrics on boat motors so only qualified operators can start them, right? Life is full of tragedy, so lets just all stay home and hide. Btw, folks, did you read about THAT in the national news? Horrific things happen EVERY DAY, so what makes things newsworthy? Obviously, new tech is dangerous, because, well...IT'S NEW! (sarcasm there)

As OP states, I fear that I will lose a good thing because the idiots of the world abused something and/or got their way.

The consumer reports article is factually wrong:

"It is the only manufacturer that allows drivers to take their hands off the wheel for significant periods of time..."

This is not true. I've had an Infiniti Q50 for 2.5 years and have gone 10+ miles on the highway with no hands (was paying careful attention). The Infiniti Q50 will NEVER warn you to put hands on the wheel. I'm not sure if the Q50 has ever had a fatality while active lane keep assist was on, but I'm sure it wouldn't get this much attention.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX and GoTslaGo

Let's see. In the past year you were driving your car even though you were too tired to do so safely. Instead of adapting your workload to make it possible for you to leave the office while still being sufficiently alert, you are now relying on a system that may require you to take over at a seconds notice.
I'm not sure if that's a real improvement of safety. It rather seems to entice people to push the boundaries of what they accept as being sufficiently alert to drive a car.
Please don't see this as a personal attack. It happens to many busy people who have a tiring commute on top of their demanding jobs. It has happened to me as well. Yet I'm not sure if the AP sends the right message. People may subconsciously slip into the habit of treating the car like a commuter train, where you can doze off and wake up when you have to get off when the AP isn't good enough for that at this moment.

Last edited:
I think i
Tesla was always playing a very dangerous game by not quickly releasing statements about all those YouTube videos showing people driving without looking straight ahead. Elon's wife even posted one. Their lack of communications gave people implicit permission to drive like that. Yes, their manual stated otherwise, but common practice would be to disregard that as just the lawyers being over cautious.

So, now someone has died that likely would otherwise be alive had he being paying attention, and NOW Tesla sees fit to post a blog post about the proper way to use Autopilot (which they haven't posted yet, just promised). If all Tesla gets out of this is bad press, I'll be amazed.

They are now very much in danger of huge liability lawsuits (their manual won't protect them at all, after all they had to release a blog post, too late), and the very likely possibility of regulators shutting down Autopilot. If not in the US, then most probably in Europe.

All this was avoidable but they wanted the awesome publicity of self driving cars without having to put a damper on it with very public disclaimers.

Yeah, I don't want AP shut down either, but if it does get shut down, it is completely Tesla's fault.
I think it's stupid people's fault not Teslas. We are all grown ups here and can make our own decisions and choices without someone having to hold our hands and wipe our butts. There is obvious clear instruction and warning label when activating AP. After that point you are responsible for your action or should I say lack of actions when using AP. It is not Teslas job to police what people do. It's no different than anything else, hot coffee, guns, or driving cruse control on a normal car. You have to take responsibility and don't at games. In no way am I bickering at you personally but I think Tesla is just a big target right now and people and competitors would like to see it fail.
My 2 cents

The Consumer Reports blog just reminded me the reason why I stopped its subscription. It is just another media catering to the lowest common denominator.

As a society, we have definitely degenerated into a bunch of irresponsible adults with no common sense who need babysitting from someone else. Sigh...

Reactions: Sean So Lowe
Let's see. In the past year you were driving your car even though you were too tired to do so safely. Instead of adapting your workload to make it possible for you to leave the office while still being sufficiently alert, you are now relying on a system that may require you to take over at a seconds notice.
I'm not sure if that's a real improvement of safety. It rather seems to entice people to push the boundaries of what they accept as being sufficiently alert to drive a car.
Please don't see this as a personal attack. It happens to many busy people who have a tiring commute on top of their demanding jobs. It has happened to me as well. Yet I'm not sure if the AP sends the right message. People may subconsciously slip into the habit of treating the car like a commuter train, where you can doze off and wake up when you have to get off when the AP isn't good enough for that at this moment.
@Just a Reader - as you must be aware for many of us adjusting work schedule is not an option. There are many days I get out of work completely drained and dont have the luxury to stop somewhere to refresh or ride a commuter train or uber every day. I am one of those that are not just waiting for, we need the autonomous vehicle. Yes, we want our car to be like a commuter train so we can either rest or be productive rather than drive. If Tesla or MB or Volvo or any other car manufacturer with an advanced autonomous feature were to develop such a vehicle, I would put my support behind it and not cripple the effort with regulations that tie its hands behind its back.

However, as I have pointed out and a few others, even though Tesla's AP is not yet ready for full autonomous driving, it does a sufficiently good job of keeping me alert AND safe. So just because a couple of guys abused the system, it doesn't mean the world is not ready for it. Accidents happen all the time due to human error but that doesn't mean we revert the industrial revolution. Engineers run trains into each other, people electrocute themselves, farmers get fingers chopped off in machinery, kids fall off bikes, people walk into traffic while texting etc etc. Do you own/drive a Tesla? If you don't you probably will not understand how AP makes for safer driving. I didn't either till I bought my first Tesla. Now when I rent an ICE car, I immediately get a feel I have gone back a couple of decades.