Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't do what I did

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Y on Friday and drove it home without incident. I pulled into the garage and congratulated myself on not getting into an accident on its first trip. I then opened the hatch and watched in horror as it hit the open garage door!

I almost had a heart attack, but, miraculously, there were no chips, marks or scratches.

So my advice is to open the hatch by hand until it comes within 1-2 inches from the garage door and push the close button on the hatch for >3 seconds until you hear a chime. That sets the auto open position. Then test it.

The only downside is that when I'm in a parking lot, I have to push it open all the way to avoid hitting my head on the hatch. Minor inconvenience, IMHO

Cliff

I picked up my Y on Friday and drove it home without incident. I pulled into the garage and congratulated myself on not getting into an accident on its first trip. I then opened the hatch and watched in horror as it hit the open garage door!

I almost had a heart attack, but, miraculously, there were no chips, marks or scratches.

So my advice is to open the hatch by hand until it comes within 1-2 inches from the garage door and push the close button on the hatch for >3 seconds until you hear a chime. That sets the auto open position. Then test it.

The only downside is that when I'm in a parking lot, I have to push it open all the way to avoid hitting my head on the hatch. Minor inconvenience, IMHO

Cliff
Been there done that ☹️ I still stand nearby each time I open it in my garage to make sure it stops at the desired position. I fear that one of the recent software updates will wipe it out and go back to full open. That hasn’t happened. It’s just my OCD. I also re-open the mail slot a second time when I mail a letter to make sure the letter went down
What options/colors are on your MY? Post pics.

Yeah, just be advised, we have had a report from at least one person here that had that happened, and then their setting for height was reset without them knowing and it did it again.

I just test drove a Y and noticed the hatch opens in an extremely high position. I'm afraid for it to open in my garage, I will have to bend down to get into it. I've taken precations and put a pad on my garage door in case it does hit it. The foam wrap for water pipes makes an excellent bumper. I wrapped the garage door handle in it since it is the part the door would hit first.

Last edited:
Put some foam on the back of your garage door where it will hit.;)

I also put a hanging tennis ball so that I pull into the exact spot.

I have several "safeties" on my garage doors, in case someone hits garage door button with hatch open as well.
Did that before my Tesla's and it has saved some bruises.

Put some foam on the back of your garage door where it will hit.;)

I also put a hanging tennis ball so that I pull into the exact spot.

I have several "safeties" on my garage doors, in case someone hits garage door button with hatch open as well.
Did that before my Tesla's and it has saved some bruises.

mswlogo,

What do you mean by safeties? I had the door closed on my present car twice and I would love to know a way to prevent that for my Y.

mswlogo,

What do you mean by safeties? I had the door closed on my present car twice and I would love to know a way to prevent that for my Y.

I installed these rollers when I got my Jeep Grand Cherokee. And they did kick in and worked on the Jeep.

I have not retested carefully with the Model X but they might need some tweeks. The spoiler on Model X could get tricky though.

11696742326_9b72812132_h_d.jpg

You can also move the garage door's optical sensors up higher to make sure the hatch isn't blocking the door when you go to close it. I know code calls for them to be 8" off the ground, but I haven't had any city inspectors come by with yardsticks.

Is there a way to open the rear hatch manually without the power assist kicking in? The last car I had with a power lift gate was a Toyota Venza and the power assist only kicked in if you used the button on the remote or dash. If you opened it via the release button on the hatch itself, the power assist didn't kick in. At the time, I thought it was a defect (or poor design), but now I'm thinking it may have been smart.

Is there a way to open the rear hatch manually without the power assist kicking in? The last car I had with a power lift gate was a Toyota Venza and the power assist only kicked in if you used the button on the remote or dash. If you opened it via the release button on the hatch itself, the power assist didn't kick in. At the time, I thought it was a defect (or poor design), but now I'm thinking it may have been smart.
You can move it in the middle of opening and then it can be moved manually up or down. But it takes a bit of force to do so.