TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Don't drop your Fob or always have a spare one

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dayhu99, Jan 18, 2015.

1. dayhu99

dayhu99 Member

Went to a party at a fancy hotel in Vancouver last night There was a one block tail back to get to hotel valet parking
    The problem? At the entrance to the hotel was a "stalled" Model S blocking the whole road

It appears the driver dropped his fob when he was handing it to the valet The fob was immediately run over by another car-- hence the unmovable car I am not sure how they eventually sorted out the problem I believe someone was dispatched to get a spare fob from the owners house

2. Obsoletion

Obsoletion Member

It could have been started and driven with the mobile app. Drivers need to know how to fully use their cars

3. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Yep. Such a beautiful feature of the mobile app.

Hearing about incidents like this makes me wonder about the much wider customer base that will be buying Model III. I think we will be hearing a lot more stories like these, stories about people stranded due to poor planning, etc.

4. dayhu99

dayhu99 Member

My complete misunderstanding
    I have used the app many times to turn on ac ,open doors etc Have had car for 2 years but did not appreciate you could also drive car just using app but without key fob

5. santana338

santana338 Member

I had to use the mobile app once to drive when I had valet parked in a parking garage (to allow them to move the car to charge it) and by the time I returned there was another shift on duty. Since I didn't have any way to prove the car was mine (evidently I was supposed to get a ticket stub or something), I simply drove it from the charger to the exit and showed them I could use the app to access the car. They didn't know what else to do so they gave me my keys and let me go.

6. caddieo

caddieo Member

Agree. Most early adopters tend to learn as much about their cars as they can both before and after purchase, search for more knowledge in the forums and keep up to date with tech developments and changes. These characteristics may be in short supply once market penetration takes off. At that point, Teslas may be just another car for transportation or a status symbol and a lot of buyers may be seduced by the simplicity of "get in and drive".

7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

People will adapt and learn about the Model III when the time comes.

8. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

It sounds like such a comedy of errors, you could easily have had a similar story with any gas car. Guy goes to hand valet his ICE car key, drops it and it falls down a storm drain, can't get it out, can't move ICE car, etc.

At least if the guy knew he could start it with the app, he could have still driven it away! Face palm moment for sure. Getting a spare fob is still less awkward than arranging for a tow truck though. I assume the model S is too heavy to put the car into neutral and push it out of the way?

9. AoneOne

AoneOne Member

Perhaps the stuck car had remote access disabled by an owner who doesn't trust the security of the internet.

10. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

You can't put the car into neutral / tow mode unless you are sitting in it with the fob.

11. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

Oh yeah, duh! I wonder if he tried the fob after it got run over? Like the dead battery method where you put it near the windshield wiper and then in the cup holder? The RFID may still have worked.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Couldn't you have simply shown them your driver's license and demonstrated that the name on the license matched the name shown on the vehicle registration or proof of insurance that you keep in the car?

13. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Seems like this exact same problem would happen with any high-end car with a destroyed fob. I know our Range Rover and Mercedes would not start if the fob was destroyed. The Model S is really the only car I can think of that potentially has a backup way to start.

14. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Yeah...common sense.

15. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Doesn't even have to be a high end car. A normal car key could easily be mangled beyond usability by being run over.

16. santana338

santana338 Member

Probably, but it was more fun to use the app and just bring the car up to the booth. :wink: I had never used it to allow keyless driving before.

17. muleferg

muleferg Member

Drove off one day without my FOB. "Mobile App to the rescue" IMG_2871.jpg

18. mejojo

mejojo Member

Chevy Volt fob has a hard key that closes into the fob. There is a hard key insert in the cubby on the dash in the event your fob runs out of battery or is damaged.

However, this is a kind of hidden feature that most oblivious drivers wouldn't think to try should the occasion arise.

19. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

The start feature was new in 6.0. It did not exist when I washed my fob with my pants when we were at 5.9.

20. jcadman22

jcadman22 MD: DRK NRG

Remote start saved me when I parked under a radio tower and the RF interference kept the car from "seeing" the fob.