Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't e-file your taxes with Turbo Tax!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BornToFly

Supporting Member
May 8, 2013
Baby Jet
Apparently, when you e-file this year with Turbo Tax, your refund goes through the Santa Barbara Tax Products Group. They will send you an email saying that there is unusual activity with your account, and you need to upload photo I.D.. Even though it is supposed to take less than 7 days, there are a lot of reviews from people who have been uploading over and over again for weeks, and they still have not received their refunds. The SBTPG is holding on to the tax payers money and not releasing it, probably to earn money on interest. I don't know what we are going to do if this drags on for us. I believe Turbo Tax gives you the option of not getting a wire transfer, but rather an actual check from the IRS. I guess that is what we should have done. Posting this as a warning, and to hear if anyone has been successful in getting their money from this criminal organization.

• Disagree
Reactions: CmdrThor
Back in mid Feb. I purchased & downloaded TurboTax Deluxe from Staples and my wife and I filed our Fed and State taxes w/ out issue and received both returns in less than 2 weeks. BUT, i did purchase the software and installed it on our laptop vs. using the online version.

Back in mid Feb. I purchased & downloaded TurboTax Deluxe from Staples and my wife and I filed our Fed and State taxes w/ out issue and received both returns in less than 2 weeks. BUT, i did purchase the software and installed it on our laptop vs. using the online version.

We also installed the software. Did you use the e-file option with wire transfer to your bank? Our refund is over $30k.

We also installed the software. Did you use the e-file option with wire transfer to your bank? Our refund is over $30k.

It depends on how you pay for TurboTax. If you pay upfront, the money is wired from the IRS to you directly.

If you choose to pay via your refund, the money is transferred from the IRS to SBTPG, then TurboTax withhold their fee, and then transfer the rest to you.

• Informative
Reactions: CmdrThor
TurboTax educational fee for those who give an interest free loan to the government.

Fix you deductions.

Thanks. My refund is a small amount compared to what I paid during the year. Deductions are pretty spot on. $7,500 was our Model X, the rest mortgage interest based on 39% tax rate. I would rather not get fined for owing too much money come April.

It depends on how you pay for TurboTax.

If you choose to pay via your refund, the money is transferred from the IRS to SBTPG, then TurboTax withhold their fee, and then transfer the rest to you.

That is what we did. Funny that you pay to buy the software, and then pay again to file your taxes. Big mistake!

Yes, e-file option and then xferred to our bank, I do remember seeing somewhere when I was researching everything that I could use our tax return to pay for the online service.

In the past, this wasn't a problem, and kept you from needing to grab your credit card. This year, the SBTPG is screwing it all up. It says that if they can't confirm your ID after 3 months, the money goes back to the IRS. So it could be 4-5 months before I get my refund if we have the same problems others appear to be having.:mad:

It depends on how you pay for TurboTax. If you pay upfront, the money is wired from the IRS to you directly.

That's such a scam! I almost did that, then realized that there was some $35 fee to use that option, so I just paid TT directly with my credit card. That fee also happened to be exactly the same as the fee TT charges for federal filing, so if you're not paying attention you might not even realize there is an extra fee.

That $35 fee must be SBTPG's cut. What a ripoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt