TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Don't get carried away about auto driving capabilities (Google Cars)

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Cosmacelf, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Interesting article about the current limitations of google's driverless car technology.

Google’s Self-Driving Cars Still Face Many Obstacles | MIT Technology Review

While I realize that Tesla's technology is different and separate from google's, nonetheless Google has been working on it far longer, and they are still quite a way from prime time. Add to this, Elon's insistence that AI isn't needed for Tesla's version of driverless tech, and you end up with a car that will do some limited things, perhaps badly.

Yes, adaptive cruise control will work. Lane keeping, let alone auto lane changing, well, I'll believe it when I see it. Driverless on the freeway? I just don't believe it, not within the next five years anyways.

2. bluenation

bluenation Member

other than adaptive cruise control, everything else is too unpolished or untested. the German makers or Tesla, it doesn't matter: it's all hype until they show it works on the freeways. And it has to work near 100%...i dont even want to think of the liability issues.