Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't get in an accident in your Tesla unless you like waiting for repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got sideswiped by an uninsured idiot in a Uhaul making an illegal right turn from the left turn lane. My S saved my life, it could have been a lot worse. Entire driver door is crumpled inwards, car is barely drivable but it did a great job protecting me. I got some mild whiplash but nothing serious.

Every Tesla approved body shop in town is booked thru November and that doesn't include waiting for parts from Tesla. And this is my only car.

I'm really bummed because my S was immaculate with low miles and it's a solid roof model in silver that Tesla no longer make. I'd just spent half a day detailing it and it really breaks my heart to see what he did. I was civil after the accident but I'm pretty mad now especially given how much time I've wasted this week chasing insurers and body shops. If I was a vengeful type I'd hire an attorney but the dude looks pretty broke and I don't need the extra hassle.

I bought a 2021 Y off the Tesla website and they are apparently going to make me an offer on my S. I would have bought a brand new Plaid no questions except for the stupid yoke. I test drove the BMW IX as well, decent SUV and I would have bought that on the the spot but can't wait four months for one of those either.

Anyway, FML and don't get in an accident in your Tesla. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Are you selling the S to Tesla in damaged condition? If insurance is covering repairs, why not just drive the Y in the meantime until it’s fixed and then sell the S for more money later on?

Reactions: Jpandes
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Are you selling the S to Tesla in damaged condition? If insurance is covering repairs, why not just drive the Y in the meantime until it’s fixed and then sell the S for more money later on?
I'm waiting to see what Tesla offers me on the trade-in. I don't really have room for two cars but I may end up doing just that.

Also discovered today that there are exactly zero Tesla approved body shops on the Liberty Mutual/Safeco authorized body shop list. 🙄

Undamaged trade-in value to Tesla was $50-$55k and the repair bill estimate is $7k. TBH the cost isn't as much of a concern as the hassle of dealing with everything.

Uhaul does require proof of insurance to rent. So if Uhaul rented to someone without insurance, you could probably go after Uhaul. If someone rented it and let an uninsured person drive it, you could probably go after the actual insured renter or Uhaul. Then Uhaul could then go after the original renter for breach of contract.

Seems like the Uhaul renter was the wife and the uninsured husband was driving.

Pretty clear they don't have any money based on my cursory analysis, not worth the hassle chasing them for me. I assume my insurer will go after them for the $7k. Grateful for the Tesla cameras which showed it was 100% their fault.

This is my second no-fault accident in this car and I'm beginning to believe the NHTSA statistic that grey and silver cars are more accident prone due to not being as visible. Wife asked if bright orange was an option for next vehicle. 😂

Sorry to hear your experience. The only advice I can offer is to not get too excited about it. I thankfully learned years ago never to sweat too much about anything money can fix -- after all, it's just a car. Save the sweat and tears for things that money can't fix. That said, hope you can get it sorted quickly.

I'm waiting to see what Tesla offers me on the trade-in. I don't really have room for two cars but I may end up doing just that.

Also discovered today that there are exactly zero Tesla approved body shops on the Liberty Mutual/Safeco authorized body shop list. 🙄

Undamaged trade-in value to Tesla was $50-$55k and the repair bill estimate is $7k. TBH the cost isn't as much of a concern as the hassle of dealing with everything.

Glad you're alright. One thing to note, you can take your car to any Tesla approved shop of your choosing. You don't have to get funneled into a shop the insurance wants.

A plaid is pretty different from a MY lol. But it's not a bad choice to tide you over til you get things sorted.

Got sideswiped by an uninsured idiot in a Uhaul making an illegal right turn from the left turn lane. My S saved my life, it could have been a lot worse. Entire driver door is crumpled inwards, car is barely drivable but it did a great job protecting me. I got some mild whiplash but nothing serious.

Every Tesla approved body shop in town is booked thru November and that doesn't include waiting for parts from Tesla. And this is my only car.

I'm really bummed because my S was immaculate with low miles and it's a solid roof model in silver that Tesla no longer make. I'd just spent half a day detailing it and it really breaks my heart to see what he did. I was civil after the accident but I'm pretty mad now especially given how much time I've wasted this week chasing insurers and body shops. If I was a vengeful type I'd hire an attorney but the dude looks pretty broke and I don't need the extra hassle.

I bought a 2021 Y off the Tesla website and they are apparently going to make me an offer on my S. I would have bought a brand new Plaid no questions except for the stupid yoke. I test drove the BMW IX as well, decent SUV and I would have bought that on the the spot but can't wait four months for one of those either.

Anyway, FML and don't get in an accident in your Tesla. Thanks for listening to my rant.
Not sure where you are located, if you happen to be in South Florida I recommend the "Tesla Doctor". He's a 1 man shop that did any incredible job on my S (working with insurance).

True, but the damaged party is then accepting the responsibility for any/all hourly labor charges above and beyond what the insurance company deems "market rate".
I don't think that's how it works. In my experience, the shop contacts the insurance company for a supplemental if needed.

As with all insurance claims, it might go smooth, or you might have to fight with them. This is the nature of all insurance claims across all industries. I don't think the shop you specifically take it to will make a difference in this regard or what the insurance is willing to pay.

I don't think that's how it works. In my experience, the shop contacts the insurance company for a supplemental if needed.

As with all insurance claims, it might go smooth, or you might have to fight with them. This is the nature of all insurance claims across all industries. I don't think the shop you specifically take it to will make a difference in this regard or what the insurance is willing to pay.
Shops become "preferred" by entering an agreement to automatically accept the insurance-determined labor rate (that may or may not match the market rate!) for claims work, with the "upside" that because they are preferred shop, there is a "steady stream" of customers who come to the shop as insurance claimants.

If a claimant gets insurance approval for the shop's rate ahead of time, it can work out with no concerns about who's paying. If the claimant picks a non-preferred shop and authorizes them to do teardown/repairs WITHOUT insurance approval? Problems may be incoming. It absolutely depends on the shop you go to.

you are able to go to any body shop of your choosing. You are not restricted to the ones authorized by safeco. This is by law.

I know it’s tough dealing with everyone, but it would work out in your favor to have the patience to work through it all. You will be made whole eventually.