Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't get your Tires from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i used to get those bubbles on my side wall all the time. I have 3 tires that are almost brand new in my backyard right now that have bubbles. It always happened on the passenger side. It's from rubbing up against a curb. Once i was made aware of that , i avoided rubbing up against things & i haven't had a bubble since. I don't think it's a defect in the tire. I think it's cuzu probably rubbed upagainst a curb while parking. My little curb was on my driveway. I now back out of my driveway and i don't get them anymore.

First, no one would align my car. Had to go to SC. It was way off. Now wear is same on all 4.
Second, Tire rack sold me German made Dunlap ZR, 300km rated tires much cheaper than any tire shop in FL.
Third, my local tire shop mounted and balanced them for $100.
I saved over $1k

Tesla quoted me $1500 for a set of Michelin MXM4. My local tire shop installed them for $980 including free rotation for life.

Tire Rack will sell you the OEM MXM4 tires for $200 each, they will ship to Tesla SC them in one day for $11/tire and will include the Tire Rack two year road hazard with 100% replacement coverage.

So can you actually have Tire Rack ship tires to Tesla for installation?

Third, my local tire shop mounted and balanced them for $100.

And Tesla will mount and balance the shipped tires for $120.

Total is 800+44 shipping + 120 M+B= $964

And be less likely to screw up on the lift or the TPMS. And if a TPMS breaks, they have them right there.

This is the best method for people with a convenient SC and are ok with the Tesla approved tires.

It works well with the their road side assistance also: you get a flat, road side assistance comes and puts on a replacement wheel/Tire and takes your wheel. Either Tesla has the replacement tire in stock or you get it shipped next day from Tire Rack and Tesla will mount and balance and then come back and take back their spare and put your new tire on. -- no need to ever go to a garage.

I assumed I was paying more for the convenience but considered it worth it, but it turns out it is both cheaper and more convenient.

Last edited:
Tire Rack will sell you the OEM MXM4 tires for $200 each, they will ship to Tesla SC them in one day for $11/tire and will include the Tire Rack two year road hazard with 100% replacement coverage.

And Tesla will mount and balance the shipped tires for $120.

Total is 800+44 shipping + 120 M+B= $964

And be less likely to screw up on the lift or the TPMS. And if a TPMS breaks, they have them right there.

This is the best method for people with a convenient SC and are ok with the Tesla approved tires.

It works well with the their road side assistance also: you get a flat, road side assistance comes and puts on a replacement wheel/Tire and takes your wheel. Either Tesla has the replacement tire in stock or you get it shipped next day from Tire Rack and Tesla will mount and balance and then come back and take back their spare and put your new tire on. -- no need to ever go to a garage.

I assumed I was paying more for the convenience but considered it worth it, but it turns out it is both cheaper and more convenient.

Thank you. Thank you! for posting this.

This is definitely the way to go and I really hope Tesla does not change this policy in accepting Tire Rack tires for installation.

This is great for Tesla as well, as they don;t need to keep a large inventory of tires and they can still charge for the installation.

Reactions: Cowby
Good to hear that Tesla service will accept tires from Tire Rack. Problem is getting an appointment at a service center is not easy and almost never short term.
When the appointment is only to do a mount and balance it can be a lot easier to get an appointment because they only need to schedule small amount of tire tech time and not more substantial diagnostic or repair time.

Very interesting thread. Just replaced the ContiSilents on my X. 265R4520 on front and 275R4520 on rear...same as OEM. Raleigh NC SC quoted $350/tire, $125 mount and balance, $150 for alignment if needed. Asked if I could buy same tires elsewhere and have them mounted at SC, the answer was NO that they would not install tires not purchased there. I dropped $1794 at the SC...at least had a loaner while they had my car.

Tire Rack is the way to go. Tesla will even install if use oem
Thank you. Thank you! for posting this.

This is definitely the way to go and I really hope Tesla does not change this policy in accepting Tire Rack tires for installation.

This is great for Tesla as well, as they don;t need to keep a large inventory of tires and they can still charge for the installation.

Tesla will NOT install tires if not purchased to them

I dont understand all the hand-wringing about having someone other than Tesla deal with tires. It's just four easy to find jack points. I had my little podunk home town tire shop that had never seen or heard of Tesla change mine. When I pointed out the jack points they said no problem, just like some Mercedes we deal with. I've also had Costco do it, just had to tell them the torque specs because they didn't have it in their system.

Wrong.

Tesla will mount and balance and install tires that you don’t buy from them — whether you bring them or have them shipped from Tire Rack.

The only restriction is that they have to be tires that Tesla approves for their cars. Maybe Canada is different but I doubt it.

On Sunday I got a flat so Tesla roadside got me a loner wheel and tire. The following day I called my service center at Buena Park. Spoke to Stephanie who is apparently in charge there. I asked her if they still do the price match guarantee (In the past Tesla did this) she replied saying that they stopped doing this just 2 months ago. Then I ask if I buy the "same" tire from a reseller (American tire quoted me for $250 where as Tesla its $360) She told me no. Tesla will ONLY install mount and balance tires that are purchase from them :(

Please advise where is your SC? and when you got this information that Tesla will mount and balance and install tires that you don’t buy from them.

Thanks

On Sunday I got a flat so Tesla roadside got me a loner wheel and tire. The following day I called my service center at Buena Park. Spoke to Stephanie who is apparently in charge there. I asked her if they still do the price match guarantee (In the past Tesla did this) she replied saying that they stopped doing this just 2 months ago. Then I ask if I buy the "same" tire from a reseller (American tire quoted me for $250 where as Tesla its $360) She told me no. Tesla will ONLY install mount and balance tires that are purchase from them :(

Please advise where is your SC? and when you got this information that Tesla will mount and balance and install tires that you don’t buy from them.

Thanks

I thought service was not going to be a profit center... :rolleyes: Realize they want to charge you 40% more.

So can you no longer ship TireRack tires to a Tesla SC?

Thanks
She’s wrong. Escalate it. Unless Canadian SCs have different rules.