Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't Give Tesla a Black Eye by Stealing Electricity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I had that, the car would have been booted and the owner would have paid a hefty fine to recover it. I would have felt good that I serving the community by helping to guarantee their tax dollars were being spent appropriately. Not to fuel expensive vehicles. The owner has to figure that into the equation of ownership.

So if it were a Bolt, you would be ok with it?

If I had that, the car would have been booted and the owner would have paid a hefty fine to recover it. I would have felt good that I serving the community by helping to guarantee their tax dollars were being spent appropriately. Not to fuel expensive vehicles. The owner has to figure that into the equation of ownership.

Have you ever considered running for public office?

That's like saying I left a bike on the porch so it's O.K. for someone to take it. It's wrong to steal anything.

I don't know why you're trying to argue with the guy that agrees with you, but whatever.

There is a common thought that publically-funded areas (parks, city halls, etc.) have facilities that can be used by the public. We assume we are allowed to use their trash cans, bathrooms, and, yes, outlets if they are out in public and left hot. Is it OK to use some or all of these facilities? Unless stated otherwise or made obvious, it may be.

Wrong, It reflects badly on electric cars, and Tesla is synonymous with electric cars. It did when I saw it and it will with others.

Wow, that's a stretch. Can you please direct us to the post you made when the Subaru driver cut you off in traffic and flipped you off when you honked? Because I'm sure that reflects poorly on Subaru.

Not to condone theft of power, but the city really should have enough initiative to flip the breakers when the food trucks aren't present.
Or a $2 padlock. Which only keeps honest people honest, but sadly, some "honest" people need that. Now, they shouldn't have to... and unless the food trucks follow a regular schedule, possibly can't without issuing keys to all of them.

One of the problems I have with PlugShare and some of the EV community is the theory that any outlet is a public charger. My local mall is listed on PlugShare as having a wall plug for EVs. Except it's not signed in any way and, judging from the comments on the listing, customer service looks at you like you have three heads if you ask about it. Clearly, they don't have a plug for customer use, they have a plug for their own maintenance equipment that people have decided to steal power from.

Don't be a thief.

Maybe the head of Parks & Rec there has a Tesla.
Maybe the owner was working there.
Maybe the owner had permission.

Assumptions make an ass out of u and mptions.

It's still theft! Do you take whatever you like from your employer? And it's not just unlawful, it's immoral and sinful.

You're ignorant for not knowing this. You're a fool for proving it with your last post.

1. I called the city and asked. They told me that they consider taking city funded services without proper authorization stealing. 2. Wow, what a group of pretentious closed-minded people I found here. 3. Sorry you all have to feel better by attacking the new guy who's just trying to help. 4. I guess the Tesla community is selfish and doesn't care about the law. 5. Next time I will just take, not steal, the charging cable and wait for the owner to return.
1. Good work. Might want to recommend to the city to add some signage clarifying the intended use of the outlets.
2. A bit harsh, but somewhat earned.
3. "All" is incorrect. Not to excuse it, but there is suspicion of first poster's that have a negative initial post as there are a lot of vested interests in Tesla failing. Also, the tone of your initial post didn't come across as "trying to help", at least to me. FYI.
4. Quite incorrect.
5. In #4 you mention the law, but then you publicly assert that you are planning to do something illegal. Both a bad idea, and bad for you to document it publicly. Now there's a record of intent, malice etc.

Wow, "Interesting" discussion here but it brings up some good points:

When I was 10, I used to charge my "electric car" (RC-10 scale toy) at my local school on one of the outdoor outlets. I was worried that someone would catch me and bust me all the time, until I actually asked a police officer. He told me straight up "Don't worry about it kid" Was I in the wrong for stealing electrons from the Sunnyvale school district?

While this is obviously different in scale, the morality is exactly the same. I think that many cities and even businesses would allow this usage, as a means of goodwill generation and bringing in business. In most areas, there are so few electric cars that its probably more a novelty. However this is a slippery slope and in the bay area, free power isn't something I'd expect any cities to provide, otherwise there would be semi-permanent RVs, and electric cars taking these spots immediately.

If you went to a public park that had day use picnic sites would you consider it wrong to plug your stereo system in to the power without asking? What about your electric car? I don't have a great answer to these, more food for thought.

In this specific case, I'd assume the first usage was legitimate (unless my job was enforcement), and might try to say something if I saw this person using this outlet regularly. If I only saw them charging once, I'd assume it was a needed charge and leave it at that. There are always grey areas.

More and more we will see locks on outdoor outlets as EV become more popular and people charge them from wherever. I do believe it is the city responsibility to either turn them off when not in use, or lock the covers. Its like leaving a flat of water bottles on the sidewalk, then getting upset when someone thirsty drinks one.

1. Good work. Might want to recommend to the city to add some signage clarifying the intended use of the outlets.
2. A bit harsh, but somewhat earned.
3. "All" is incorrect. Not to excuse it, but there is suspicion of first poster's that have a negative initial post as there are a lot of vested interests in Tesla failing. Also, the tone of your initial post didn't come across as "trying to help", at least to me. FYI.
4. Quite incorrect.
5. In #4 you mention the law, but then you publicly assert that you are planning to do something illegal. Both a bad idea, and bad for you to document it publicly. Now there's a record of intent, malice etc.
I agree with you on all accounts. And yes, I felt many, not all, of the initial replies were unfair and left with extreme bias rather than subjective reason. I love my S, and I love what Tesla has accomplished and the reasons they continue to push forward. I'm not going to address my views on TSLA as a company. I think we will all see that play out in the very near future.

One other thing, I couldn't find a way to edit my post after I left it to take some of the edge off it.

Cheers!