Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't Give Tesla a Black Eye by Stealing Electricity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, I thought the city told you that using them without authorization was illegal.
Did they also tell you that particular car had not received authorization?
If so, I agree they should pay for the electricity and be fined.
I also agree they shouldn’t do that without authorization.

I would be curious why they were charging there, since the SC is so close.
They were obviously in no hurry and you know the saying when it comes to SC's, "no free for 3".

I have been driving EVs for about 15 years, and have been using public charging before most people know what a Tesla was. I will say that it is never good to assume quilt without facts. On the other hand it is very revealing to see people downplay using power without permission and try to justify it. I have seen threads 100 pages long on this topic and in the end stealing is stealing for those that do not have permission and it does not matter if it is electricity or anything else. It is also not pennies, anyone that works for parking garage with outlets knows how this adds up to thousands of dollars a year in some cases. The OP has a very valid point, stealing or the perception of stealing power does tarnish EVs, those that don't think so have very limited experience with public charging and the publics view of entitlement and use of "free" electricity. I have seen almost every type of charging situation similar to this and I can tell you it is not viewed in a positive way. The fact is SC close or not, Tesla does offer roadside service but if you ran your car dead then it does not lend credibility to the driver. In more cases than not, these type of charging situations are people that do not need the charge. Food for thought.

Come on guys, that person is most definitely "stealing" power. That said, if it was a huge concern to the city those outlets would be secured. In the driver's defense, most of us don't think of electricity like that. You see an outlet, you plug in your phone etc.

Uh, I'd ask the establishment if I can plug in. Starbucks and many others encourage plugging in their establishments but that's them and that's their policy. That's because as a customer they hope you'll stay longer and buy some of their product, so a win-win for both. I would however never think of going into a bank for example and just setting up my laptop to charge.

Haven't read through all the pages already on this thread but here's my first impression looking at the original post. There were no signs there saying "for public use" and the driver knew that. "Taking" something that has a value (regardless of how little or much) without permission is stealing, no matter how you want to look at it. For those that disagree, would it be stealing if while you were sleeping EV owners came to your house and used your electricity to charge their car? Sure it would. If not, please publish your address because I can assure you you'll have cars lined up to "take advantage" of your free electricity. I don't see how this situation is any different. There are public charging stations and plugshare, etc. options out there yet he/she sees an electrical outlet and feels right at home to use it. To me this does give Tesla owners a bad rep and honestly we don't need it. Don't need others feeling because they see "wealthy" car owners stealing electricity that they have the right to key our cars, etc. In our area not that long ago I've even read accounts and police reports backing them up that human feces was dump on someone's Tesla (I can't even begin to imagine walking back to you car with that). As it is, there's a growing group nationwide that doesn't feel we deserve to use car pool lanes or get tax breaks like everyone else in a different tax bracket. Stealing "gas" is really down there on the ugly list. If you are okay with stealing electricity, what else is in the gray area for you and from there then what else is free game to take or use?

BTW I think the OP meant to say reflects badly on Tesla owners, not Tesla itself. But we all knew that right ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ModelX and Eclectic
When I had my LEAF I charged it on a town 14-50 several times. It was a bit of a nuisance since it required just the right parking spot open plus an extension cord, so I only did it when necessary — range was sometimes limiting in a 2012 LEAF, no surprise. I suppose someone could have objected, however, I had asked for permission from the Town Manager and it was given gladly.

Years later, when the town decided to put in a public L2 charging station in almost the same location, the Town Manager contacted me, the first EV owner in my county, for feedback on what works best for public charging (I told her that EV owners prefer charging to be in less-than-prime parking spots — I lost that argument because the power was more accessible in the prime location). I asked the Town Manager if she would like me to use the new charge station, to show it getting used, even though I obviously didn't need it with a Tesla (she has test-driven both my LEAF and the Tesla). The answer was an enthusiastic "yes!" So, I do plug-in on occasion when I am in town for awhile.

My take is that one shouldn't jump to conclusions without more information. In the case presented by the OP, it does appear that the use was unauthorized, but it isn't always the case.

Reactions: Runt8
If not, please publish your address because I can assure you you'll have cars lined up to "take advantage" of your free electricity.
My 7.7 kW EVSE is on plugshare, free of charge.
In the 18 months or so it has been offered, exactly ZERO people have taken advantage of it while passing through, zero people locally, and one person who visited with us. Two people contacted me but ended up going somewhere else more convenient. I live about 2 miles from town and the main roads heading NS and EW.

Theft is theft but not all theft is equal. This thread is agonizing over possible penny-level theft.

Took me a while to get through this entire thread, but I wanted to read it thoroughly before I responded.

It may not be a popular stance, but I'm going to take a bit of a contrarian view and defend part of the OP's viewpoint -- that this situation is a negative for Tesla, Tesla owners, EVs in general, and the specific driver involved. I'll tell you why.

Perception is the issue here. From the single picture originally posted, there are two things that are factual:

1. The car is a Telsa, an electric vehicle, and it is plugged in and charging.
2. What it is plugged into is not a public charger.

Now, that's all we know. We don't know anything else, including who this driver is, who owns this electrical outlet and it's power, and what the driver's relationship with the outlet owner is. We have no idea whether this charge was an emergency or otherwise.

When you don't know anything, the door is now open to wide interpretation, and people will interpret things to fit their agenda. This is where the problem lies.

Here on the Tesla forum amongst Tesla owners, we can craft many possible scenarios that are legitimate explanations for this scene. It's a brand new Model 3 (paper plates), perhaps the new owner nearly ran his battery dead and needed an emergency charge. Maybe he had permission from someone. There's dozens of legitimate scenarios. For those of us who have a positive view of Tesla, we would love to believe that one of these legitimate explanations is true, even though it is pure speculation that we're inventing out of thin air.

There are others in this world who have a negative view of Tesla. They think Elon is full of hot air, the company gets billions in taxpayer subsidies, and the whole green/efficiency thing is complete BS. They can look at this scene and also create dozens of interpretations where laws are being broken, taxpayer money is being siphoned off, entitled rich owners are taking the city for a ride, etc. Their interpretations are no more rooted in evidence than ours are, but some of these people will take these invented scenarios and exploit them to further their own agenda, whatever it may be.

Somewhere out there is an anti-EV blogger who will take this picture and post it with a clickbait headline of "Another Entitled Tesla Owner Steals Taxpayer Dollars!". He's almost certainly wrong, but the damage will have already been done.

The question is, as Tesla owners, can we be cognizant that there are those out there who vehemently oppose Tesla, and not leave these interpretations up for grabs? If at all possible, maybe we shouldn't give ammunition to the haters.

Perception becomes reality, and appearances matter. Sometimes appearance shouldn't matter, but guess what, it does.

Last edited:
It's still theft! Do you take whatever you like from your employer? And it's not just unlawful, it's immoral and sinful.

You're ignorant for not knowing this. You're a fool for proving it with your last post.

Ooooooh, SINFUL.

I love it when people invoke their imaginary friend. I was just passively aggressively disagreeing with your posts, but now I'm sticking around for the crazy.

It's still theft! Do you take whatever you like from your employer? And it's not just unlawful, it's immoral and sinful.

You're ignorant for not knowing this. You're a fool for proving it with your last post.
You are clearly not a scientist. Not just because you wrote that it's sinful (there's no such thing) but because all you wrote in your post was that
1) You saw somebody charging
2) You reported it
... and then expected us to accept your opinion without question. Welcome to peer review.

Since you're such a fan of judging others, I'll judge you as a narcissist. They react very badly to being questioned, because it hurts their self-esteem, and their reaction, rather than being considered is ad hominem attacks, in order to help themselves ignore the disagreement.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
We have a REALLY rude and dangerous lady driver where I work. She passes on double-yellow lines, speeds in excess of 20 mph above the limit and flips people off if they're ONLY driving 5 over the speed limit. I don't think poorly of Dodge just because she happens to drive one. The whole Tesla black-eye thing seems more like a personal problem than a Tesla one.

It's a known fact that all Dodge drivers suck. I am surprised you don't know this?