TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Don't go to Cali just to get your car-state tax still not waived

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by tsla007, Aug 5, 2016.

1. tsla007

tsla007 Member

A bill to allow Tesla customers from outside California to pick up a gleaming EV and waive state sales taxes has died. Bill sponsor Sen. Bob Wieckowski amended the proposal in favor of a measure to rescue a new housing development in the city of Santa Clara.

The original bill would have allowed Tesla customers from other states to travel to the company's Fremont factory, pick up their vehicle and drive home without paying California sales tax. The vehicle buyers would still owe taxes in their home states, but would avoid getting hit with California's higher taxes. Senate Bill 680 was designed to encourage electric vehicle sales and state tourism.

• Informative x 1
  2. SureValla

SureValla Member

I don't understand why CA had to choose between EVs and housing. Why can't they do them both?

3. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Super short-sighted. And he represents Fremont. I guess life is about making (bad) choices sometimes.

4. jonnyg

jonnyg Member

If it's anything like my area, the local politicians bend over backwards to help out any businesses related to the housing industry at the expense of the people living here on a regular basis.

5. tga

tga Active Member

"Anymore" in the thread title is misleading - CA sales tax was never waived for out of state purchasers of any car.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  6. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

They needed to ram an important project through and missed the deadline to apply for it, so they just re-purposed the Tesla bill and tossed away the original purpose. Politics at it's finest.

7. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Short legislative session period left.

8. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

That's just so stupid... you pay tax in PA when you register it... I'm not double paying.

• Like x 1
  9. wilhelmspencer

wilhelmspencer Model 3 Reserved 3/31/16 In Store 10:20 PST

Very disappointed. I thought that this would have passed with flying colors in liberal California.

It was promoting tourism, EVs, and most likely MORE tax revenue from that tourism.

Like Cattledog said above, this is very short-sighted.

(Trying hard to not make this a political rant post. :) )

• Like x 1
  10. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

11. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

I believe California is 1.5% higher than my state so I'll see if I think it is worth having to give California free money for a factory pickup.

12. vjason

vjason Member

You don't double pay; your state asks if you paid tax already.

Of course your state won't reimburse you if CA tax is higher, but you still won't be asked to pay twice. In the rare event you paid less than your state would have charged you will have to make up the difference of course.

• Like x 1
  13. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I don't know about NC, but in PA, most of PennDOT can barely breath in AND out...

PA is 6%

I had to tell the person 20x the make was "Tesla" and my trade in was $25,000 NOT $2,500 and that an EV does not need an "emissions" inspection...

So, I'd love to fly to CA to pick it up and spend money in CA, but looks like that won't happen...

14. Mark C

Mark C Member

So, in order to have a great time out with the wife, I take a few vacation days, we hop a plane to CA and tour the facility, do some tourist traps and fly home, while Tesla ships my new 3 to either Nashville or Atlanta {maybe somewhere in AL if they allow Tesla to sell in-state by then}. Then, at delivery time, a short road trip to pick the car up and do some of their tourist traps in one of those cities too. Life isn't all bad, you know!

15. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

I wonder why Pencilvania isn't shaped like a pencil?

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh. TESLA hurry up!!!! I'm really bored.

• Funny x 1
  16. dsvick

dsvick Member

I was considering it too. It would have been a nice trip for my wife and I to fly out there, see the sites, get a factory tour, pick up a really cool car, and spend a week driving back to Ohio. With an additional 3% or so in taxes though that could be well over a $1,000, so probably won't happen.

17. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

Wow, I thought I had nothing to do.

You would drive from California to Ohio? Geeesshhh

18. dsvick

dsvick Member

The only reason to go to CA was to get the car, the sightseeing was secondary and half the fun was going to be driving my new M3 back home!

If I'm going to fly somewhere for a few days for vacation then fly back home there a lot of places other than CA that would higher on the list.

19. dsvick

dsvick Member

Sure, there would be plenty to see and do on the way home, an it would be a nice week with my wife.

• Like x 2
  20. jonnyg

jonnyg Member

Autopilot would do most of the work, right?