Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't go to Cali just to get your car-state tax still not waived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bill to allow Tesla customers from outside California to pick up a gleaming EV and waive state sales taxes has died. Bill sponsor Sen. Bob Wieckowski amended the proposal in favor of a measure to rescue a new housing development in the city of Santa Clara.

The original bill would have allowed Tesla customers from other states to travel to the company's Fremont factory, pick up their vehicle and drive home without paying California sales tax. The vehicle buyers would still owe taxes in their home states, but would avoid getting hit with California's higher taxes. Senate Bill 680 was designed to encourage electric vehicle sales and state tourism.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Very disappointed. I thought that this would have passed with flying colors in liberal California.

It was promoting tourism, EVs, and most likely MORE tax revenue from that tourism.

Like Cattledog said above, this is very short-sighted.

(Trying hard to not make this a political rant post. :) )

Reactions: linkster
You don't double pay; your state asks if you paid tax already.

Of course your state won't reimburse you if CA tax is higher, but you still won't be asked to pay twice. In the rare event you paid less than your state would have charged you will have to make up the difference of course.

That's just so stupid... you pay tax in PA when you register it... I'm not double paying.

Reactions: Akikiki
I don't know about NC, but in PA, most of PennDOT can barely breath in AND out...

PA is 6%

I had to tell the person 20x the make was "Tesla" and my trade in was $25,000 NOT $2,500 and that an EV does not need an "emissions" inspection...

So, I'd love to fly to CA to pick it up and spend money in CA, but looks like that won't happen...

So, in order to have a great time out with the wife, I take a few vacation days, we hop a plane to CA and tour the facility, do some tourist traps and fly home, while Tesla ships my new 3 to either Nashville or Atlanta {maybe somewhere in AL if they allow Tesla to sell in-state by then}. Then, at delivery time, a short road trip to pick the car up and do some of their tourist traps in one of those cities too. Life isn't all bad, you know!

So, I'd love to fly to CA to pick it up and spend money in CA, but looks like that won't happen...

I was considering it too. It would have been a nice trip for my wife and I to fly out there, see the sites, get a factory tour, pick up a really cool car, and spend a week driving back to Ohio. With an additional 3% or so in taxes though that could be well over a $1,000, so probably won't happen.

I was considering it too. It would have been a nice trip for my wife and I to fly out there, see the sites, get a factory tour, pick up a really cool car, and spend a week driving back to Ohio. With an additional 3% or so in taxes though that could be well over a $1,000, so probably won't happen.
Wow, I thought I had nothing to do.

You would drive from California to Ohio? Geeesshhh

So, in order to have a great time out with the wife, I take a few vacation days, we hop a plane to CA and tour the facility, do some tourist traps and fly home, while Tesla ships my new 3 to either Nashville or Atlanta
The only reason to go to CA was to get the car, the sightseeing was secondary and half the fun was going to be driving my new M3 back home!

If I'm going to fly somewhere for a few days for vacation then fly back home there a lot of places other than CA that would higher on the list.