Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't keep the Tesla app on your phone open.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went out to the driveway and found the windows were partially down and blowing 96 degree air out the dash at full speed. Bottom line is to make sure the Tesla app is closed out before putting your phone in your pocket. I'm a new owner by two days and just finished putting in the 220 volt charge port in our car port. I'd been checking on state of charge and making sure the doors were locked etc. Hopefully I hope the app doesn't need to open in order to unlock the doors when I walk up to the car. Guess I'll find out shortly.

I went out to the driveway and found the windows were partially down and blowing 96 degree air out the dash at full speed. Bottom line is to make sure the Tesla app is closed out before putting your phone in your pocket. I'm a new owner by two days and just finished putting in the 220 volt charge port in our car port. I'd been checking on state of charge and making sure the doors were locked etc. Hopefully I hope the app doesn't need to open in order to unlock the doors when I walk up to the car. Guess I'll find out shortly.
I believe you do need the app open (could be in the background) for it to connect to the car and unlock. I’ve had two Tesla vehicles and been living with Tesla for two years now, no issue leaving the app “open”. I usually put my phone to sleep or lock it before putting it in my pocket of course… but that’s equally important so I don’t accidentally text a friend or coworker nonsense, but dial 911, or any other number of things…

Reactions: Physicslawyer
I believe you do need the app open (could be in the background) for it to connect to the car and unlock. I’ve had two Tesla vehicles and been living with Tesla for two years now, no issue leaving the app “open”. I usually put my phone to sleep or lock it before putting it in my pocket of course… but that’s equally important so I don’t accidentally text a friend or coworker nonsense, but dial 911, or any other number of things…
You don't need it open on iOS to unlock.

So you can force close the app (slide up to show all open apps on an iPhone and then swipe up on the Tesla app to close it) and still unlock the vehicle?
Incorrect. Tesla app needs to be open in the background for the phone to be used as a key. That’s according to Tesla anyway. I don’t ever force close the app. It is always open in the background. I bought a Tesla key fob as I got tired of messing with the app. Seems to have some glitches.

Incorrect. Tesla app needs to be open in the background for the phone to be used as a key. That’s according to Tesla anyway. I don’t ever force close the app. It is always open in the background. I bought a Tesla key fob as I got tired of messing with the app. Seems to have some glitches.
Right, that was my initial answer to the original poster. If they’re having issues with inadvertent inputs to the app because they’re tossing their phone in their pocket with the screen still on (so not “asleep” or locked) AND the Tesla app in focus (actively on the screen)… well that’s kinda common sense. Hope the phone app is never left up because you’ll be calling all kinds of people 🤣

My issue with the app on the phone:
If you connect to the vehicle in close proximity but never open the doors, lock your phone (for instance at work to turn ac on) and then go to open the car later, the doors will not unlock. I have to turn my Bluetooth off on the phone and back on (Apple it is a quick swipe) to get the doors to unlock. I’m not sure what the hang up is but I became tired of it. Decided to buy the key fob which works 100% of the time. Side benefit is taking the vehicle to a non Tesla shop I don’t have to worry about giving them the card. Seems no one remembers to lock the vehicle when they are done with it using the card.

Reactions: kavyboy
It does NOT need to be open, in foreground or background. I never use the Tesla app. It uses the bluetooth connection, so as long as you have bt enabled, you're good (at least on iOS).

It does NOT need to be open, in foreground or background. I never use the Tesla app. It uses the bluetooth connection, so as long as you have bt enabled, you're good (at least on iOS).
^ This

i’ve literally not even open the app(IOS) after its been forced closed for like 2 days and have 0 issues opening my car to get stuff or go on a drive

^ This

i’ve literally not even open the app(IOS) after its been forced closed for like 2 days and have 0 issues opening my car to get stuff or go on a drive
Be close to your Y and open the app. Vent the windows and close the app. Wait an hour and then walk to your car and try to open a door. I’m curious what your results are. In so many instances my doors will not unlock. I have to reset Bluetooth on iOS to get it to work. For me personally, the key fob is the way to go. Hands down.

I have a bad habit of putting the phone in my pocket with dozens of apps running. It got worse when apple put the turn off button on the side and the little click when you lock it is not very loud. I'll have to make a more conscious effort and be strict about closing down apps and locking the phone before putting it away in the pocket. BTW, I was able to unlock the Tesla without the app running. My wife and I both love this car!

Be close to your Y and open the app. Vent the windows and close the app. Wait an hour and then walk to your car and try to open a door. I’m curious what your results are. In so many instances my doors will not unlock. I have to reset Bluetooth on iOS to get it to work. For me personally, the key fob is the way to go. Hands down.
You know what i did exactly this to try it out and
It took 20 extra seconds than normal to open as in like the car had to wake up to verify i was there kinda feel to it

My car will not open away from home without the app running in the background. At home I have the car set to not lock so off course it opens. It won’t however start unless the app is open or running in the background. Tesla confirmed this is required.

Android phone: Device Care > Battery > Background Usage Limits > Never Sleeping Apps

Select the Tesla app as a never sleeping app. You can turn the phone off, start it back up, never touch the Tesla app at all and the car responds to the phone as if the app were open on the screen.

iOS: You're on your own.

I force close mine on my iphone and it works. I rarely open the app anymore.

My car will not open away from home without the app running in the background. At home I have the car set to not lock so off course it opens. It won’t however start unless the app is open or running in the background. Tesla confirmed this is required.
This is easy enough to test. I have tested multiple times. I tested again today at work so that there was no other phone key (wife) or Key fob nearby. I closed all background apps, rebooted the phone, unlocked phone without starting any apps, put phone on standby/screen off. It worked fine, at least for my Pixel 5 android phone.