Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't know what else to do, frozen screen, unresponsive scroll wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a used 2017 Model X. Everything was fine for a couple days until the screen froze up. Tried rebooting with the scroll wheels but those no longer work as well and the horn stopped working. To make it worse, since its still in the process of being registered in my name which DMV says can take up to two weeks. I can't do a ownership claim so I am unable to get a ranger to take a look at it as I am unable to use the app. The car is pretty much undrive-able. Help!

Frozen as in black, switching to grey and then black to black when you try everything to reboot?

Or frozen as in you see something on the screen?

If the former, pulling the fuse, disconnecting the battery and other options won't do a thing. This is all about the MCU failure (and probably eMMC). Your vehicles ventilation probably doesn't work and you can try to use the right hand steering wheel controls to do things like turn on the fan, AC, etc. Won't work AFAIK.

Best bet is to actually drive it to a service center and park it until they can fix it. Recognize that your turn signals won't work and your folding mirrors probably won't unfold.

It’s frozen in the fireplace mode. Hvac works and I’m actually able to adjust heat seats, volume by approximately button pushing, I just can’t see them because the frozen fireplace video is over it. Steering wheel buttons don’t work.

It’s frozen in the fireplace mode. Hvac works and I’m actually able to adjust heat seats, volume by approximately button pushing, I just can’t see them because the frozen fireplace video is over it. Steering wheel buttons don’t work.

Ah, that's great to know! It would appear that your MCU is more likely locked up (stuck on display) and the following would help:

* Use both steering wheel buttons and brake. I can't recall if it's the scroll wheels or the up/down but try them both and hold them for 60 seconds to get multiple reboots signaled
* Pull the fuse in the Frunk. 20 seconds may not enough. Pull it and walk away for 15-20 minutes
* Disconnect the 12v battery. A brief disconnect (20 seconds) may be enough for you to check the screen to see if it went blank but expect 15-20 minutes

You won't cause any harm to any component due to the above, but on a lazy Sunday (when you can't even get an appointment) it's worth spending an hour trying the above on your Tesla. When the above didn't work for me, I drove it to the service center and parked it as it was frustrating to see it parked every day at home.

Hi @marlonetorres ,

If you can get some response from the screen
go to Service> Change wheel size let the car reboot
Back to Service > Change wheel size back to original let the car reboot.

If the screen will let you make these changes this accomplishes the same thing as the
battery and fuse removal or the scroll wheel reboot(when the scroll wheels do not work).

Good luck,

Shawn

Unfortunately my scroll wheels also aren’t functioning so rebooting that way isn’t an option. Any chance pulling a fuse can make things worse?

Did you actually try holding both scroll wheels in for 10 seconds, or just guessing it won’t help because they won’t scroll anything?

I ask because the “hold them both in” signal triggers a hardware watchdog reset which should work even if the OS is locked up tight and the scroll wheels appear dead.

If that really doesn’t work either, something else is wrong besides the OS lockup.

Held it down for up to a minute.

Then it’s definitely more than just a software lockup. Sounds to me like a failed MCU altogether, sadly. I see a trip to the service center in your immediate future, unfortunately. So sorry.

I know you’re having issues taking app ownership but I’d just get it to the SC anyway, even without an appointment. Explain what’s going on - they’ll get help going.

Just bought a used 2017 Model X. Everything was fine for a couple days until the screen froze up. Tried rebooting with the scroll wheels but those no longer work as well and the horn stopped working. To make it worse, since its still in the process of being registered in my name which DMV says can take up to two weeks. I can't do a ownership claim so I am unable to get a ranger to take a look at it as I am unable to use the app. The car is pretty much undrive-able. Help!

Did you purchase from a private seller or someone where you can contact the previous owner? Because they can transfer the car to you in app, as I understand it. The Tesla dealer should do this also, so you should not have to wait for the registration claim and Tesla to manually update it. Worth a shot so you can get the app access going as well.

Did you purchase from a private seller or someone where you can contact the previous owner? Because they can transfer the car to you in app, as I understand it. The Tesla dealer should do this also, so you should not have to wait for the registration claim and Tesla to manually update it. Worth a shot so you can get the app access going as well.

Got it from Carvana.