Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't Let Your X Lock You Out in the Cold!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone else had similar issue, please post if you found out why it happened and how to fix the issue:

I finished supercharging and when I was ready to drive, it wouldn't let me start because the warning just showed, "key not inside'. I did have the key and no matter what I tried, including hard re-set, it just didn't detect it. I got out of the car to see if it will detect it once I got back in, but it locked me out!!

Eventually, I popped out the battery and then it unlocked. It let me start WITHOUT the battery being back in the key!!!!!! WTF!

I replaced the battery about 8 months ago, so it couldn't have been that, could it be software?

I've started having this issue in the last 2 weeks as well. Twice in same scenario, briefly stepped out of the car to drop off my son to school, fob is in my pocket, doors are open. I seat back in and car is off and says key not inside although it's in my pocket. I had to unlock/start the car with the phone app.

Purchased a new fob battery despite not seeing any battery warning, now reading about battery swap quirks to make sure my fob doesn't turn into a brick.

My guess is it's related to a recent update. Running 2020.48.10, started with prior version.

Maybe there's something wrong with my fob, but unless I've unlocked the car with the fob immediately before entering, I ALWAYS get the "fob not in vehicle" error. My solution is to double-click the roof of the fob. I half-way thought that's just the way it works, and half way thought something was wrong, but never bothered to look into it further. After reading the above, I'll momentarily remove the fob battery to get it to reboot and see if that fixes it, and/or try my other fob. But the reason I'm posting this is to share the "double click on the roof" trick to be able to start the car when you get the "fob not in vehicle" error.

After reading the above, I'll momentarily remove the fob battery to get it to reboot and see if that fixes it, and/or try my other fob.
Clean the contacts and the battery. Occasionly for different devices using AA or AAA or others (oxy tester, TV remote, etc) they will stop. I will spin them in place or take them out and clean contacts and battery (often I check the voltage with a meter too).

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Make sure you are using the correct battery, CR2354. They can be hard to find, but Batteries Plus sells them.

The CR2032 which looks identical and you can find at supermarkets, Target, or hardware stores can cause intermittent issues.
Buy a spare and put it in your glove box. I had a FOB not open my car after a car 'show' in Custer SD a few years back with a storm coming. (used my phone to unlock/drive - but batteries were hard to find).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFSX8KQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 etc

• Helpful
Reactions: aesculus
Buy a spare and put it in your glove box. I had a FOB not open my car after a car 'show' in Custer SD a few years back with a storm coming. (used my phone to unlock/drive - but batteries were hard to find).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFSX8KQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 etc

You can also use your "dead" fob to unlock the car. You put it down in the area of the forward part of the falcon wing door where the bend in the panel is and the painted part meets the bottom cladding. It can take up to 20 seconds for the key to be detected so be patient. This procedure is covered in the owner's manual and has a picture showing the location.

You can also drive the car by following this procedure from the owner's manual.
To drive Model X, place the key against the center console, immediately below the 12V power outlet, then press and hold the brake pedal to turn Model X on

Last edited:
To drive Model X, place the key against the center console, immediately below the 12V power outlet, then press and hold the brake pedal to turn Model X on
I went to the store a few days ago, no problem. Came out and car wouldn't open. I had not received any low battery message. I tried the above placing the fob in the cup holder and then against the center console as above, and still wouldn't start. I used my phone to get home and ordered replace batteries (one for the glovebox). I measured the old battery and it was 1.6v instead of 3v, so definitely gone. Manual also states that if the above doesn't work, try taking the battery out but I didn't try that.

Had a similar experience today. Left the car. Came back, car unlocked as it should, but it would not let me put it in gear. Said "Key FOB not in car.". Put the FOB in the required space. No good. Used my phone to "start" the car and drove home. Once home let the car lock, took the key FOB away as usual, came back in a hour and the car unlocked and let me put it in gear.

I know my FOB battery is good. I suspect something with the software update. Hope they push a bug fix.

Hi @bayx

Thank you for starting this thread. I read this yesterday eve.
And today it happened. More than 4 times, sequentially.
In the worst place, and worse time.

I tried the near field unlock routine before I left, and boy I'm sure glad. It saved my day.
Which was way outside cell coverage. And while stuck in the mud getting dark. Quite a long adventure, but that part isn't the point.

Back at home now... the stuck part is over.
So even though the lock out issue randomly persists even when I did get home... the real saviour today is that I did get home. I brushed up on what to do when I read the thread... and it worked right when it was needed.
Thanks again for starting this thread.

I also think this is a firmware issue. Hope they push a fix soon.

-TechVP

Last edited:
Reactions: bayx and scottf200
You can also use your "dead" fob to unlock the car. You put it down in the area of the forward part of the falcon wing door where the bend in the panel is and the painted part meets the bottom cladding. It can take up to 20 seconds for the key to be detected so be patient. This procedure is covered in the owner's manual and has a picture showing the location.

I think I did try that but could not get it to work. Perhaps I was not in the exact right location or did not wait long enough. Note that the 20 seconds is not in the manual so it is unclear if that is accurate to me. Adding the pictures for others here to get a mental memory image. Too bad there are not small lines or markings where the key fob should go. No one would know unless you were down there and close. I actually had to deal with a dead key fob in our '16 Volt. The location for the fob is well marked so you know exactly where to put it.

a5RJmat.jpg
lJJShc6.jpg

I had the same issue last night. First I was able to unlock and sat in, then it says key fob not inside. I tried multiple positions but it didn't work, I went out and sat in and clicked the fob it locked me and then unlocked. Now it finds the key and able to drive back home. something to do with new updated since many reported the same.

I had the same issue last night. First I was able to unlock and sat in, then it says key fob not inside. I tried multiple positions but it didn't work, I went out and sat in and clicked the fob it locked me and then unlocked. Now it finds the key and able to drive back home. something to do with new updated since many reported the same.
I had this yesterday after unlocking the door with the FOB. After seeing the missing FOB message, I locked and unlocked the car with the FOB while sitting in the driver seat and the message went away.

Next time you can use the Tesla APP to drive without the key.

One time I made a quick stop at my parents' home to pick up something. I managed to leave both my keys and phone in the car when I ran inside the house -- and effectively came back to a locked car. I expected the car to stay unlocked if it detects the key fob inside the car (like my previous Lexus). Fortunately, I was able to borrow my Dad's phone, install the app, and unlock the car. This was on our S.

Reactions: Sonus