Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't Let Your X Lock You Out in the Cold!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've started having this issue in the last 2 weeks as well. Twice in same scenario, briefly stepped out of the car to drop off my son to school, fob is in my pocket, doors are open. I seat back in and car is off and says key not inside although it's in my pocket. I had to unlock/start the car with the phone app.

Purchased a new fob battery despite not seeing any battery warning, now reading about battery swap quirks to make sure my fob doesn't turn into a brick.

My guess is it's related to a recent update. Running 2020.48.10, started with prior version.

Following up on this. My fob stopped working altogether so at this point I replaced the battery and it’s working fine again.

I was not in range of the car when I replaced it, and for reference I’ve had the car for 15 months, I never got a low battery message but my wife did with hers. I’ll replace her battery as well.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Following up on this. My fob stopped working altogether so at this point I replaced the battery and it’s working fine again.

I was not in range of the car when I replaced it, and for reference I’ve had the car for 15 months, I never got a low battery message but my wife did with hers. I’ll replace her battery as well.
IIRC Tesla use to replace the FOB batteries at annual service (when they used to be required) ... i.e. every 12ish months.