TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Don't like how you have to slam the frunk

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by invisik, Apr 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. invisik

invisik Member

Hi,

I like the extra space of the frunk, but I never use it because it opens and closes like a regular car's hood. The trunk is power, the doors open and close silky smooth, and here I am slamming the frunk down to close it. Doesn't seem quite right. I end up using the trunk for everything...

I feel I'm missing something.... everyone seems to love the frunk. Maybe a longer trip is better suited as you wouldn't have to open it much.

I come from S500 soft close doors and trunk, so maybe I'm spoiled :)

Thanks for any info on better frunk relations.

-m

2. ABVA

ABVA Member

#2 ABVA, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    I love that extra space in the Frunk, moreover it gets you the attention. As for closing the Frunk, lower it very gently and use palms of both hands to put pressure on the front part in middle of the Frunk area to close it. It probably burns maybe two calories, and extra space and attention one gets is a great trade off.

3. GRADIEGO

GRADIEGO Member

I wish this was automatic too. I keep my golf clubs in the frunk with my gym gear and use it quite often. I fear the pressure needed to secure the frunk closed is eventually going to dent my hood.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I agree, except please don't slam your frunk! You've got to push down carefully in the right place. This, of course, makes it more effort to close than a regular hood.

5. Bill D

Bill D Member

This is the top reason that I'm waiting for a SW update adding "Valet Mode" with the Frunk button disabled before I trust valet parking.

It's far too likely a valet jockey will accidentally open the Frunk, which will lead him to slam and dent it.

6. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I have been told that every automobile made HAS TO HAVE a manually latching front hood...or bonnet, if you live in UKEnglishlandia. The reason appears to be that the regulatory authorities believe that the personal inspection needed to ascertain a front hood actually has engaged the double latch is how they avoid the horrors of having a hood fly open when underway.

I definitely agree that a Disable Button would be nice for this engine-less vehicle.

7. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Or you could try my method, also gets a lot of attention:

Lower the frunk lid till nearly closed, make sure you have no rivets on your back pockets. Turn around and back up to the edge of the frunk and do one quick squat. I do it every week at the grocery store. Maybe it only works for girls...

8. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Had not thought of that requirement. And yes, automatically disabling when in motion and manual disabling 'button' for valet situations would be nice. I like the idea of auto closing.

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures or it did not happen!:wink: (kidding 'blue girl'):biggrin:

9. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Lol! I have given demos at meetups...

10. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Frunk? Oh yeah, I saw mine open once when my DS dropped mine off.

11. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Could this be avoided by hinging the hood in the front? Anyone with experience with that design who could comment?

12. markb1

markb1 Active Member

This would decrease the likelyhood of accidentally opening the frunk, but note that there's a manual release lever under the glove box, so it's not impossible to open it.

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

A frunk hinged at the front would make it exceedingly awkward to use when placing items in or removing items from.

14. tezco

tezco Sig P85

A few cars have hoods hinged this way, but it hasn't caught on. Need thin fenders for this to work well since you have to lean over the fender to access the compartment.

15. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

There's only one way...
    Video Walkthrough | Tesla Motors

16. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

video or it didn't happen...LOL, j/k

p.s. I really want to see a vid of this:)

17. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

#17 Theshadows, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    I saw a guy at a Supercharger slam his frunk closed. I cringed in horror when he did it.

Afaik the double latch is required. I hate how half the time I have to reach in and hit the release button. First time the second latch caught I thought my frunk broke. After I got home I was able to figure out what was going on.

I think auto closing would be the best solution considering how tender the hood is.

18. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Agreed that this is the "Officially Recommended" way, but I have to admit I don't care for it... it feel like too much pressure is exerted on this aluminum on either side of the latch mechanism.

I place the "heel" of the palm of my hand right over where the latch hooks are on the frunk lid, fingers draping over the front edge, and push down. The pressure is then right on top pd the latch, and the area toward the lid "lip" is rolled over and thus thicker.

Plus, it's a one-handed maneuver, and there's less surface area to wipe palm-prints off of... :)

I'd STRONGLY recommend the OP not "slam" the frunk lid...

19. gnelson

gnelson Member

It also puts hand prints on the panel. I don't use my Frunk because I don't like how it closes.

20. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

With any aluminum hood, including the Model S, it's very important to avoid closing the hood with your finger tips. You can literally put small dents in the aluminum that way. Instead, with palms facing away from you, press the heels of both hands against the front lip of the hood (where the front edge folds over) until you hear the latch click. NEVER slam the hood.